Used 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 1 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Everything I wanted.
By BG

2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed to replace my minivan. I still needed a vehicle with 7 passenger capacity and wanted an SUV with great mpg's. I bought my first Hybrid and AWD which is a used 2012 Highlander Hybrid with 97k miles. It is smooth, quiet, comfortable, spacious and efficient. I was attracted by the 28 mpg EPA and pleasantly surprised with what I'm getting. I drive 36 miles round trip to work each day and get 34+ mpg. My commute consists of 80% city and 20% highway miles. Today I got 34.5 mpg. Yes I drive differently to squeeze these miles out. The most effective tricks are to accelerate moderately (utilizes the electric motor), accelerate downhill and minimize the use of AC especially going uphill. There is an ECON button which regulates your acceleration, but you can shut it off if you are an aggressive driver. I'm very pleased with the purchase of this vehicle. It is everything I wanted and needed.