Better Gas Mileage Than Expected
By chicagojerry on
2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I have been getting over 30 mpg on nearly every tank of gas. Once or twice around 32 mpg, based on hand calculations. The hand calculations average 1 mpg less than the computer values. The trick to high gas mileage is to pay attention to the display and try not to waste gas by accelerating and braking. Every time you brake you are wasting the gas you used in accelerating. The interior is cavernous for a vehicle getting this mileage. Highway mileage is over 30 mpg if you stay below 65 with just yourself driving. It drops to 27 if you are going 75 with the family a bags loaded in. AC and heat affect mileage because they may require the engine to run when not accelerating.
Favorite Features
The car is very quiet. The engine turns off when you take your foot off the pedal. The battery and electric motors are virtually without sound. Fit and finishes are great. I have 10,000 miles and 6 months of driving and it still smells new. Lots of cup holders and cubby holes. Lots of room inside and easy to fold the seats down for hauling. Electric lift gate is handy and the rear window easily for quick access to the storage area.
Suggested Improvements
I have the limited and the interior finishes are OK but not nearly as nice as my Chrysler 300C I traded in. The radio is an upgrade to a 6 CD system but it has a mediocre sound quality. Very tinny compared to the sound system on the Chrysler. One of my speaker was broken at the outset and has been replaced. Suggested improvements: 1) More luxury interior finishes 2) Better sound systems. After all the car costs in the mid $40's with the Hybrid and Limited upgrades.