Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Good but not like the Prius
By sergelbergeron

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just bought our new HH Limited 2011 before Christmas. So about 6 weeks ago. Drives very good - 8K millage just 9L/100KM which is not what the book says but I think that will come. I am disappointed in many of the interior design. We owned 2 Prius and many of the Steering controls that are in the Prius and found in the dash - a good stretch away from the driver. I find the Smart key - proximity is not as good and often doesn't catch if I am coming from the rear side of the vehicle. I have not found a lock button on the rear liftgate so I have to use my Smart Key or go to a side door. The sound system is excellent - the cargo space is good but small features are absent

Favorite Features

Big SUV with good milleage. Solid built - safety features in case of crash. Solid confortable ride with 6 passengers. Great sound system. Wiper blades have a de-ice system. Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Proximity key range limited. Back-up camera always dirty wet. Serious error omission - a Lock button is needed on rear liftgate. Small cargo holding areas could have small manual locks like rear in Prius. More useful buttons on driver steering wheel. Ex. I don't need temperature + - on sterring wheel - my temperature is set at 70 degrees but I could use the Defrost on-off. Big 19 inch wheels - cost too much for tires. Could use some pull up shades on sides like Honda Odessey has.

Wonderful vehicle for our family
By dorenescar

We traded in our '10 Highlander Hybrid for an '11, and despite having friends think we were crazy, we are delighted with the improvements. The mileage is truly 28 plus, and the vehicle feels easier to drive. The interior is much improved, though still some features that look cheap. The nav and back up camera are much improved, and the split row in the third seat is great for us. The sound system sounds better too! The ride is smooth and quiet, and our kids are very comfortable in the midsection. We love this vehicle, more than the first one, and find it to be great on trips, in the city, and be a great all around vehicle.

Favorite Features

smart navigation, sound system, auto open trunk, auto seat folding, moon roof

Suggested Improvements

better looking dials and interior pieces, mouse stick like Lexus 450h has, better foot room in the back row

Highlander Hybrid Excels
By jjdrvr

Recently purchased 2011 Highlander Hybrid limited after owning 2006 same model. Hugh improvement in driving/riding experience. Also transition from gas to hybrid a lot smoother and less noticeable than previous car. Really like few changes made to car appearance although wasn't initially sure about limited grill (like it now). Hope reliability will be as great as my 2006.

Favorite Features

Ipod interface, satellite radio, larger navigation system screen, very comfortable seats, more interior room, improved driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

none at this time.

Update
By GADrvr

We've now had our 2001 HiHy for over a month. Still averaging over 30 mpg city and 27 mpg hwy. Absolutely love the roominess, pick-up and mileage.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, roominess (have had 4 adults and two kids on numerous trips - all very comfortable)

Suggested Improvements

My gas pedal foot gets fatigued on long trips. Pedal has a great deal of "spring" to it.

Color dispute
By Shelly

I ordered a 2010 Shoreline Blue Toyota Highlander Hybrid in Aug 2010 and after all this time, i found out that they will not send a blue Highlander to my dealership and there are none to be found within a 450 mile radius. WHY? Who knows. Toyota hasn't given me a good reason, but in spite of that, I will order a Highlander in another color and look forward to driving it soon.