Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Best SUV on the market, 5 years running.
By zbigkid@gmail.com

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want all of the benefits of an SUV, comfort, styling, AND great fuel mileage, nothing compares. To tell you how well people love this vehicle, just do a search and see if you can find any used. At over 80,000 miles we've only changed shocks and tires. That's it. My wife loves this vehicle too. The newest one of this LTD version is going for over $45,000. If you can find a used, one, its going to be around $30,000. If you are lucky. The mileage of 28 mpg, means not only fuel savings but great range between fill ups, and most fill ups at these current prices, are barely over $20. Heated seats, power everything, moon roof, ability to tow up to 3500 lbs, AWD for the snow, and rain, what more can you ask for ? Also, its not bulky looking, and is very agile in city driving. Toyota built this thing bullet proof, and I'd expect easily to get 200,000 miles. Mileage will drop off in the winter a bit, but that's mostly if you are only doing short trips, and the engine has to warm up, to heat the interior. You are still getting way better fuel mileage than ANY SUV or VAN out there in the market place, bar none. And its just a comfortable comfortable ride. The vehicle still looks sharp, and not dated in styling at all, and in fact looks better than the new Highlanders coming out, that are bloated, and now bulky. This vehicle is a GEM, if you can find one.

Better Than I Hoped For
By J DeCicco

When I bought the car over 4 1/2 years ago, I never expected to get close to the EPA ratings on the gas mileage. But I frequently get gas mileage exceeding the 28 mpg predicted. I have gotten a full tank to average over 31 mpg on a couple of occasions. A full car with 4 people and luggage driving over 70 mph will be closer to 26.5 or 27 and in a Chicago winter sometimes getting 24 mpg. Right now I have close to 108,000 miles and I have never changed the brakes and I am still on my second set of tires. I have never had a repair issue other than normal maintenance. I have only had to change one brake light and no headlights. The real surprise is that I am now in the market for another car and I cannot find another car that can give me the cargo capacity and mileage that this Highlander gives me, not even the 2016 Highlander.

We love this hybrid SUV! Best purchase!
By nvman

We needed a small SUV to haul rigid hull inflatable boats (typically less than 2000 lbs). We had the 3500 lbs tow package installed (much nicer than aftermarket). I wanted a hybrid because "peak oil" is real, I want to be able to keep driving and boating foryears to come :) This is a technology wonder. We love it. We routinely take long trips for the business and nobody complains. Everyone is surprised how fast we get there although this is the first car I have ever own that I don't feel compelled to speed in. It's trained me that I can get at destination roughly at the same time without speeding. It's also trained me that fast starts are incredibly wasteful on gas. Easy to get 30 mp

Smart unlock feature, no need to find key. Great fuel efficiency (if you avoid fast starts and accelerations) Comfort of seats MP3 CDs and USB input Great seating arrangement for the back. Nice sound system (I don't mind being in the car in traffic as people are burning up gas, I just enjoy nice music :) Sound system and GPS automatically mutes when a call comes in. Reclining back seats

- I almost didn't buy it because cheesy wood trim (same on Lexus). I'm used to it now. - Lock button for the back - Electric heater for the colder times (engine has to warm up but that defeats the purpose of a hybrid). - More USB charging ports and 12 v accessory plug (especially in the glove box between seats) - Change the proprietary display with an Andriod based panel to have access to Google Maps and live traffic ! :) - Have a Google Self-driving option - it would be great to have google drive this car?! I'm ready now :)

Better Gas Mileage Than Expected
By chicagojerry

I have been getting over 30 mpg on nearly every tank of gas. Once or twice around 32 mpg, based on hand calculations. The hand calculations average 1 mpg less than the computer values. The trick to high gas mileage is to pay attention to the display and try not to waste gas by accelerating and braking. Every time you brake you are wasting the gas you used in accelerating. The interior is cavernous for a vehicle getting this mileage. Highway mileage is over 30 mpg if you stay below 65 with just yourself driving. It drops to 27 if you are going 75 with the family a bags loaded in. AC and heat affect mileage because they may require the engine to run when not accelerating.

The car is very quiet. The engine turns off when you take your foot off the pedal. The battery and electric motors are virtually without sound. Fit and finishes are great. I have 10,000 miles and 6 months of driving and it still smells new. Lots of cup holders and cubby holes. Lots of room inside and easy to fold the seats down for hauling. Electric lift gate is handy and the rear window easily for quick access to the storage area.

I have the limited and the interior finishes are OK but not nearly as nice as my Chrysler 300C I traded in. The radio is an upgrade to a 6 CD system but it has a mediocre sound quality. Very tinny compared to the sound system on the Chrysler. One of my speaker was broken at the outset and has been replaced. Suggested improvements: 1) More luxury interior finishes 2) Better sound systems. After all the car costs in the mid $40's with the Hybrid and Limited upgrades.

poor milage
By davida21_77

I bought this suv in this past feb, I went to a family function 300 miles away and I noticed under a full tank the max range was 300 while the small computer to the rt said avg mpg was 29-30 so about 520 cruise range...yet I only got 300 going one way and fulling up and 300 comming back and fulling up. All toyota technician could say is that the inacuracy is due to driving conditions and other factor which makes no sence since this is a hybrid and not a gas model vehicle. I am dissapointed and my next vehicle is going to be a U.S made hybrid SUV

the only thing that is good about the SUV is the apperance and how quiet it is

The milage should be inproved or they should have the ability to find out why their hybrid is not performing to their specs

• SUV