Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

We love this hybrid SUV! Best purchase!
By nvman

2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We needed a small SUV to haul rigid hull inflatable boats (typically less than 2000 lbs). We had the 3500 lbs tow package installed (much nicer than aftermarket). I wanted a hybrid because "peak oil" is real, I want to be able to keep driving and boating foryears to come :) This is a technology wonder. We love it. We routinely take long trips for the business and nobody complains. Everyone is surprised how fast we get there although this is the first car I have ever own that I don't feel compelled to speed in. It's trained me that I can get at destination roughly at the same time without speeding. It's also trained me that fast starts are incredibly wasteful on gas. Easy to get 30 mp

Favorite Features

Smart unlock feature, no need to find key. Great fuel efficiency (if you avoid fast starts and accelerations) Comfort of seats MP3 CDs and USB input Great seating arrangement for the back. Nice sound system (I don't mind being in the car in traffic as people are burning up gas, I just enjoy nice music :) Sound system and GPS automatically mutes when a call comes in. Reclining back seats

Suggested Improvements

- I almost didn't buy it because cheesy wood trim (same on Lexus). I'm used to it now. - Lock button for the back - Electric heater for the colder times (engine has to warm up but that defeats the purpose of a hybrid). - More USB charging ports and 12 v accessory plug (especially in the glove box between seats) - Change the proprietary display with an Andriod based panel to have access to Google Maps and live traffic ! :) - Have a Google Self-driving option - it would be great to have google drive this car?! I'm ready now :)

Better Gas Mileage Than Expected
By chicagojerry

I have been getting over 30 mpg on nearly every tank of gas. Once or twice around 32 mpg, based on hand calculations. The hand calculations average 1 mpg less than the computer values. The trick to high gas mileage is to pay attention to the display and try not to waste gas by accelerating and braking. Every time you brake you are wasting the gas you used in accelerating. The interior is cavernous for a vehicle getting this mileage. Highway mileage is over 30 mpg if you stay below 65 with just yourself driving. It drops to 27 if you are going 75 with the family a bags loaded in. AC and heat affect mileage because they may require the engine to run when not accelerating.

Favorite Features

The car is very quiet. The engine turns off when you take your foot off the pedal. The battery and electric motors are virtually without sound. Fit and finishes are great. I have 10,000 miles and 6 months of driving and it still smells new. Lots of cup holders and cubby holes. Lots of room inside and easy to fold the seats down for hauling. Electric lift gate is handy and the rear window easily for quick access to the storage area.

Suggested Improvements

I have the limited and the interior finishes are OK but not nearly as nice as my Chrysler 300C I traded in. The radio is an upgrade to a 6 CD system but it has a mediocre sound quality. Very tinny compared to the sound system on the Chrysler. One of my speaker was broken at the outset and has been replaced. Suggested improvements: 1) More luxury interior finishes 2) Better sound systems. After all the car costs in the mid $40's with the Hybrid and Limited upgrades.

poor milage
By davida21_77

I bought this suv in this past feb, I went to a family function 300 miles away and I noticed under a full tank the max range was 300 while the small computer to the rt said avg mpg was 29-30 so about 520 cruise range...yet I only got 300 going one way and fulling up and 300 comming back and fulling up. All toyota technician could say is that the inacuracy is due to driving conditions and other factor which makes no sence since this is a hybrid and not a gas model vehicle. I am dissapointed and my next vehicle is going to be a U.S made hybrid SUV

Favorite Features

the only thing that is good about the SUV is the apperance and how quiet it is

Suggested Improvements

The milage should be inproved or they should have the ability to find out why their hybrid is not performing to their specs

If Mileage is the Major Driver
By rob222

this is the' SUV for you. Aside from the mileage, power liftgate and keyless entry, I have made a sizable downgrade from a Lexus GX. Comparable size, yes but here's a few other things to consider. No dual seat memory controls, soundsystem is very average, fit and finish is not nearly as nice, steering is numb, absolutely NO offroad capability with this SUV. Fun factor, think Ford Taurus wagon. My wife wanted a hybrid suv in our price range and I did the best I could. She really likes it. The vehicle will meet the needs of most every day users and they will be very satisfied. But, if you are looking for a driving experience whatever you push the button, this is not your car

Favorite Features

Watching the hybrid work, keyless entry, second room seat console change

Suggested Improvements

Better soundsystem (mid-range and bass response), memory seats, one touch all windows, higher quality tires, hydraulic hood lid (no bar) w/light, greater precision with speedmeter setting focusing on lower mph (instead of 0-70 encompassing using half the dial, and 71-140 in the second half which is almost useless), a little more suv off-road performance.

2011 Highlander Hybrid
By tdmiller

We previously owned a 2003 Honda Ody and were happy with it. Downside was that 90% of the time we only needed 4 seats- and half the time just the driver's! Nice to be able to haul stuff, great for vacations, but rising fuel costs a concern. We wanted to keep the 3 row flexibility in our next vehicle, improve fuel economy, and perhaps get something that was not over 200+ inches, making it a tight squeeze in the garage. The Highlander Hybrid hit these major features and more.

Favorite Features

Have only put a couple hundred miles on the vehicle in cool to cold weather and averaging 26mpg, which should improve. Comfortable seats in first and 2nd row. Lots of safety features. Has a smooth, quiet ride, and decent turning circle for a vehicle this size. Ample power and good brakes. First time owning a hybrid, but liking it so far. Lots of information about fuel efficiency, etc via nav system. Plenty of bells and whistles. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Really like exterior except for protruding headlights. Look out of place with rest of body and just asking to be broken. Vehcile goes where you point it, but steering is numb. Better quality materials for headliner and dash. Add auto up/down to passenger side window. Manual shades on 2nd row windows would be nice for kids. Oh, and for all those who do not know this before buying, tough to find replacement tires for this vehicle. The 19in wheel size, combined with tire width and profile make for literally 2-3 options..