2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Smooth drive, but not quite the MPG's
By ak49 on 04/19/11 14:45 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven nearly 15K miles now, including two Alaskan winters. The biggest drawback to-date for the hybrid technology is that even when the battery is fully charged and capable of operating in EV mode, the engine is needed to heat the air for the defroster. In my climate, that cuts into the possible efficiency at least 5 months out of the year. All told, including daily idle time to pre-warm the car for my wife, I still averaged over 18 MPG in the winter. Everyday summer driving in the city is more like 23 MPG. Best ever for a 100+ mile road trip, fully loaded with many hills was just over 27 MPG. With that said, the drivetrain is exceptionally smooth. Interior finish is OK.

Fuel Economy is same as regular highland
By smg on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very disappointed in the 'hybrid' aspect of this car. Have reached the 5000 mile mark where the dealer said it would take that long for the car to get used to my driving, whatever that means. Anyway, I am still averaging 18 MPG on city streets and only get above 20 when I go on the highway, which is only about 1/week. It's definitely NOT worth the difference in cost, go for the regular!

Wife says it drives like a dream
By keny on 07/26/10 13:12 PM (PDT)

Had the car a month. Waited to write my comment until we took a 2300 mile trip. Overall we love the car. A little disappointed with the overall 24mpg. We drove on interstates, in big cities, mountains and 2-lanes. Inside is roomy and comfortable. Love the bluetooth. The Nav system is no better than my Magellan portable. Disappointed that there are areas with no turn-by-turn instructions even though it lists streets. There are some features on it I really liked like the split screen. The front mats are already showing signs of matting. Love the transmission. Mpg is much better at 60-65 mph than over 75 mph. That should be expected. We did get about 31 mpg on one tank. A keeper.

Best SUV
By steve topor on 07/08/10 06:59 AM (PDT)

Just got it 4 weeks ago and enjoy it very much!!! MPG 24-25 combined great for SUV.. Have not seen close to 27 mpg.Feels like a full size SUV had a Land Cruiser and this about doubles its mpg and still has room. Finally got a price break at invoice plus dealer options -over paid for them.

Great commuter with flexible utility
By Dmitry on 04/24/10 23:31 PM (PDT)

I've been eyeing and researching this vehicle for a while, and Toyota's recent financial incentives have finally made me buy it (was able to get 0% / 5 years). The experience (2 weeks now) has exceeded my expectations in almost every category. The only "downgrade" is less cargo space compared to an older van with removable seats I drove before. Daily drive: 80 miles (25 miles on town/arterial roads at 35/55 mph, and 55 miles on freeways at 60-70 mph). The average gas mileage on 3 tanks so far is at 25.5 mpg. Excellent commuter with utility flexibility; great for moving family of 4 with a large dog (German Shepard) with folded 3rd row. When grandparents come to visit, we all can still fit.

27.5 mileage; love this vehicle!!
By dorenescar on 04/24/10 15:44 PM (PDT)

With several months of driving down, we have advanced to 27 plus every tank. What a great vehicle!! The major downside is the back row, which really doesn't serve anyone except kids and skinny girls that don't mind cramped legs. Very peppy and great gliding from the hybrid engine. Highly recommend!!

Recommended
By StlCards on 04/05/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

Did some research and decided on the HH Limited based on gas mileage (better all around than my 4cyl. 2008 Accord), room/comfort, and reliability (customer feedback, Consumer Reports recommendations, and car mag editors). Smooth ride plus some nice features but you'd expect that from a $44k vehicle. Also drove the Lexus RX Hybrid and Caddy SRX, both of which were equally smooth but opted for more room and a decent deal since Toyota is trying to rebuild their goodwill. Note that at the time of this writing, the Toyota 0% financing is for non- Hybrid only. My Credit Union offered a lower rate but when you start the negotiations, Toyota will match rates - but make them go lower.

2010 HiHy Limited - As Promised
By Virgin Toyota Owner on 02/14/10 07:32 AM (PST)

It's cold in NW Indiana and when the vehicle is warmed up we average easily over 27MPG. We make many short jaunts and sometimes warm the vehicle up which brings the total mileage down to around 22MPG right now. The vehicle has been rock solid so far with absolutely no problems. We're retired and enjoy the comfort and total ride more than any vehicle we've had, including a past DeVille and Pathfinder. The interior has impressed my friends and is luxurious. I docked the reliability even though the HH has not been recalled only because of recent problems and possible future resale value problems.

Really like the Highlander Hybrid
By HighlanderHybrid_Fan on 02/02/10 16:37 PM (PST)

Mileage is terrific for an SUV, 22-25 compared to 12-16 for others. Really like the car a lot. Somewhat worried about the accelerator issue, but assume Toyota will fix it.

Still early, an initial grade
By e on 12/27/09 11:33 AM (PST)

Purchased w/ Nav, JBL system and rear seat DVD. For the price you would think you bought a Lexus, but overall very smooth, comfortable ride. Hybrid system is great, only 2 weeks old and getting 24mpg w/ mixed driving. Power tailgate is a nice feature along with the stow away middle seat. 3rd row isn't the best but certainly livable for adults for short durations. Fun to drive? Eh, it's a SUV/Crossover. How fun can it be? If I wanted spirited/fun driving, I would be in my '06 TL. Overall a very nice upgrade from our '01 Pathfinder LE.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Suv in VA is:

$119 per month*