Used 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Smooth drive, but not quite the MPG's
By ak49

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven nearly 15K miles now, including two Alaskan winters. The biggest drawback to-date for the hybrid technology is that even when the battery is fully charged and capable of operating in EV mode, the engine is needed to heat the air for the defroster. In my climate, that cuts into the possible efficiency at least 5 months out of the year. All told, including daily idle time to pre-warm the car for my wife, I still averaged over 18 MPG in the winter. Everyday summer driving in the city is more like 23 MPG. Best ever for a 100+ mile road trip, fully loaded with many hills was just over 27 MPG. With that said, the drivetrain is exceptionally smooth. Interior finish is OK.

Consider alternative to engine heat for front windshield defrost.

Fuel Economy is same as regular highland
By smg

Very disappointed in the 'hybrid' aspect of this car. Have reached the 5000 mile mark where the dealer said it would take that long for the car to get used to my driving, whatever that means. Anyway, I am still averaging 18 MPG on city streets and only get above 20 when I go on the highway, which is only about 1/week. It's definitely NOT worth the difference in cost, go for the regular!

Wife says it drives like a dream
By keny

Had the car a month. Waited to write my comment until we took a 2300 mile trip. Overall we love the car. A little disappointed with the overall 24mpg. We drove on interstates, in big cities, mountains and 2-lanes. Inside is roomy and comfortable. Love the bluetooth. The Nav system is no better than my Magellan portable. Disappointed that there are areas with no turn-by-turn instructions even though it lists streets. There are some features on it I really liked like the split screen. The front mats are already showing signs of matting. Love the transmission. Mpg is much better at 60-65 mph than over 75 mph. That should be expected. We did get about 31 mpg on one tank. A keeper.

Roomy interior. Transmission. Bluetooth. Smooth ride.

XM radio (we paid for it) should be standard in the Limited. Mats could be better. Navigation system needs work.

Best SUV
By steve topor

Just got it 4 weeks ago and enjoy it very much!!! MPG 24-25 combined great for SUV.. Have not seen close to 27 mpg.Feels like a full size SUV had a Land Cruiser and this about doubles its mpg and still has room. Finally got a price break at invoice plus dealer options -over paid for them.

MPG, looks, comfort and value

Leather could be upgraded and interior plastic good be of higher grade, Trailer hitch should be standard, went after market for it at half price

Great commuter with flexible utility
By Dmitry

I've been eyeing and researching this vehicle for a while, and Toyota's recent financial incentives have finally made me buy it (was able to get 0% / 5 years). The experience (2 weeks now) has exceeded my expectations in almost every category. The only "downgrade" is less cargo space compared to an older van with removable seats I drove before. Daily drive: 80 miles (25 miles on town/arterial roads at 35/55 mph, and 55 miles on freeways at 60-70 mph). The average gas mileage on 3 tanks so far is at 25.5 mpg. Excellent commuter with utility flexibility; great for moving family of 4 with a large dog (German Shepard) with folded 3rd row. When grandparents come to visit, we all can still fit.

Hybrid Drive: love knowing that energy is constantly transformed between kinetic and potential as necessary. Great acceleration dynamics; can propel SUV with 3 engines working simultaneously (1 Gas + 2 Electric). Other favorites: Smart key entry/start, EV mode, Phone integration, upscale interior.

The Navigation graphics interface looks dated compared to the GPS on my cell phone (CoPilot). With 3rd seating row raised not much cargo space is left behind; wish it had the split option (only folds as a bench). Voice command system struggles with my accent and does not seem to be learning it :)