Used 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Smooth drive, but not quite the MPG's
By ak49

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven nearly 15K miles now, including two Alaskan winters. The biggest drawback to-date for the hybrid technology is that even when the battery is fully charged and capable of operating in EV mode, the engine is needed to heat the air for the defroster. In my climate, that cuts into the possible efficiency at least 5 months out of the year. All told, including daily idle time to pre-warm the car for my wife, I still averaged over 18 MPG in the winter. Everyday summer driving in the city is more like 23 MPG. Best ever for a 100+ mile road trip, fully loaded with many hills was just over 27 MPG. With that said, the drivetrain is exceptionally smooth. Interior finish is OK.

Suggested Improvements

Consider alternative to engine heat for front windshield defrost.

The Best SUV
By yngturk

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had this vehicle 10 months now, and 20k miles. No complaints whatsoever. I average 27 MPG in warm weather, and 24 in cold weather. Previously owned Chevy Trailblazers which were solid vehicles, but averaged 17 MPG. The Highlander Hybrid is flawless. Comfort, performance, and build quality are as good as you can get. Fit and finish are perfect. This is an extremely solid vehicle. It's been totally reliable. This is my first Toyota, but I'm a believer in them, and in their hybrid technology.

Favorite Features

Hybrid drive, acceleration is a pleasant surprise, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe offer more cargo tie-down hooks in the back. Other than that I can't think of a single one.

Fuel Economy is same as regular highland
By smg

Very disappointed in the 'hybrid' aspect of this car. Have reached the 5000 mile mark where the dealer said it would take that long for the car to get used to my driving, whatever that means. Anyway, I am still averaging 18 MPG on city streets and only get above 20 when I go on the highway, which is only about 1/week. It's definitely NOT worth the difference in cost, go for the regular!

Wife says it drives like a dream
By keny

Had the car a month. Waited to write my comment until we took a 2300 mile trip. Overall we love the car. A little disappointed with the overall 24mpg. We drove on interstates, in big cities, mountains and 2-lanes. Inside is roomy and comfortable. Love the bluetooth. The Nav system is no better than my Magellan portable. Disappointed that there are areas with no turn-by-turn instructions even though it lists streets. There are some features on it I really liked like the split screen. The front mats are already showing signs of matting. Love the transmission. Mpg is much better at 60-65 mph than over 75 mph. That should be expected. We did get about 31 mpg on one tank. A keeper.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior. Transmission. Bluetooth. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

XM radio (we paid for it) should be standard in the Limited. Mats could be better. Navigation system needs work.

Best SUV
By steve topor

Just got it 4 weeks ago and enjoy it very much!!! MPG 24-25 combined great for SUV.. Have not seen close to 27 mpg.Feels like a full size SUV had a Land Cruiser and this about doubles its mpg and still has room. Finally got a price break at invoice plus dealer options -over paid for them.

Favorite Features

MPG, looks, comfort and value

Suggested Improvements

Leather could be upgraded and interior plastic good be of higher grade, Trailer hitch should be standard, went after market for it at half price