2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Can you have refined and fun in same ride ...YES !
By studio1a on 03/04/14 08:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I shoot landscape Photography and an outdoors type of person, this Ride has it all. The Sun/Moon roof with Sirius brings the Moon right in with the right Tunes. You've got a class ride with built in luxury coupled with a frame and suspension that can take you Almost anywhere with the world in front of you, so instead of always letting your mind taking you on a trip, why not give your mind a rest, and you take it on a trip, let it rip ! 27.6 mpg city 29+ mpg hwy

Low MPG For New Hybrid
By joe on 10/09/09 19:36 PM (PDT)

I purchased a 2009 highlander Ltd Hybrid with the expectation that I would experience MPG at or above the sticker stated 27 city and 25 highway. It seems that there is a problem with the electric motors or the computer which controls the timing of the electric and gas motor operation. Toyota specifications indicate that the three electric motors come on line in higher torque needs such as when starting from a light or going up grades to minimize the use of the gas engine. This car does not do that. The gas engine is forced to run in almost all situations because only the front electric motors operate. The car acts like a standard gas vehicle instead of a hybrid.

Awesome car
By John on 07/22/09 09:44 AM (PDT)

I've owned this car for about 1 month now. Very smooth ride in city and highway. MPG is about 27 average. The MSRP was 49k and I paid 37k for a company demo model with 14k miles and I still got the 0% financing. I cannot complain much about this car but Navigation has a not so good user interface. Overall, if I have to buy a car, I will buy this again but MSRP $49k on highlander seems bit too high.

Navigation big disappointment
By Don on 07/16/09 17:14 PM (PDT)

I purchased the navigation system and entered a destination only to find out a major interstate that opened in Nov. 07 is not included on the DVD. I have version 8.1 (the latest version). The navigation system sends me the wrong direction because there are no current updates. I have a $250.00 TomTom that is updatable on the internet and a much more useful tool than the $2000.00 navigation system from Toyota. The Sirius/XM is over priced from the dealer, I went online and found a $400.00 kit that I installed in 20 min. and works just like the OEM version.

Love it
By Inland Northwest on 07/11/09 15:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had it 4 months and 5000 miles. It's awesome to drive, and has plenty of room for family of four (2 teenagers) and dog to go on vacation. More than that, you'd need a car-top carrier for stuff. Third row seat is okay. Our mileage has been pretty good; we're averaging 24-25 overall. 28 on highway and 23 or so in town (we live in a small, very hilly town so anywhere we need to go is uphill and less than a mile away. Doesn't help us take advantage of hybrid very well). It drives beautifully. When we need to merge we turn off "econ" and boy, do we zoom. It's more comfortable than any car I've owned (including other Toyotas).

Better than expected!
By Bill on 07/05/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

Bought a new fully loaded Limited Hybrid. Hoped to get the EPA est. gas mpg and with about 2200 miles I'm getting way better than that. Best trips are fairly low speed, 40 and under which usually yield 33 to 36 mpg! Highway trips top out around 29 mpg. I live far out suburban, little city driving, and I keep up with traffic. Very smooth and comfortable, very QUIET. Mastered the nav. It's okay, not great. A tall step in, had to get running boards for my wife. Goofy hump for rear wiper and small rear windows restrict rear vision. All else better than expected. Intend to keep it 10 years like the Ford Expedition it replaced. Lost a little space, use half the gas, no regrets.

Poor Navigation System
By Scott on 06/22/09 11:25 AM (PDT)

We love the soft leather seats and smooth ride. The Navigation System is difficult to use and not very intuitive. The Nav System in my 2006 Acura MDX is far superior...easier to use....has much greater utility. Wish I had saved the $2K and bought a $200 hand-held GPS instead. We always have to mapquest destinations because of the Highlander's frustrating nav system. Other than that, nice vehicle, although getting the advertised MPG is a challenge, so far, unachievable....best we've gotten is around 23MPG combined.....you really need to drive conservatively to get close.

Yukon to Highlander
By Tom on 06/19/09 15:01 PM (PDT)

Great room for a big guy. Seats very comfortable. All the bells and whistles, maybe a little too much. Having a hard time with the quiet start and the sound of all the hybrid stuff.

Up and coming
By music man on 02/06/09 13:29 PM (PST)

Although I have only about 400 miles I am extremely pleased with my purchase so far. Traded a Lexus and this vehicle is far more comfortable and roomy.

Best Car I've Owned
By Jerry on 01/05/09 16:17 PM (PST)

I have had my Highlander for 11 months and have little over 12,000 miles. The car is great to drive it handles better then any if my previous SUVs (Suburban, 4 Runner, 2002 Highlander Limited). The mileage in town (all city driving) is between 23.5 to 25. There is a sweet spot for the EV at 35-40 MPH.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Suv in VA is:

$111 per month*