Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Can you have refined and fun in same ride ...YES !
By studio1a

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I shoot landscape Photography and an outdoors type of person, this Ride has it all. The Sun/Moon roof with Sirius brings the Moon right in with the right Tunes. You've got a class ride with built in luxury coupled with a frame and suspension that can take you Almost anywhere with the world in front of you, so instead of always letting your mind taking you on a trip, why not give your mind a rest, and you take it on a trip, let it rip ! 27.6 mpg city 29+ mpg hwy

Favorite Features

Heated seats add a refined comfort to the already this smooth Running, when Winter,Snow and Rain are at your door. The Sun/Moon roof with Sirius brings the Moon right in with the right Tunes.

Suggested Improvements

* Maybe a bit more power/torque or ratio * Additional power outlets in rear * A Camping package, Ie; a connecting tent * A tow receiver Cap for the Bumper that blends in, like the Lexus 470

Low MPG For New Hybrid
By joe

I purchased a 2009 highlander Ltd Hybrid with the expectation that I would experience MPG at or above the sticker stated 27 city and 25 highway. It seems that there is a problem with the electric motors or the computer which controls the timing of the electric and gas motor operation. Toyota specifications indicate that the three electric motors come on line in higher torque needs such as when starting from a light or going up grades to minimize the use of the gas engine. This car does not do that. The gas engine is forced to run in almost all situations because only the front electric motors operate. The car acts like a standard gas vehicle instead of a hybrid.

Favorite Features

We like the Nav system but have yet not learned how to use it.

Suggested Improvements

I didn't want damage from gravel etc. so I have added black mud flaps which blends with the side step and a clear coat film from Ziebart over the front grille, hood fender, front post and mirrors.

Awesome car
By John

I've owned this car for about 1 month now. Very smooth ride in city and highway. MPG is about 27 average. The MSRP was 49k and I paid 37k for a company demo model with 14k miles and I still got the 0% financing. I cannot complain much about this car but Navigation has a not so good user interface. Overall, if I have to buy a car, I will buy this again but MSRP $49k on highlander seems bit too high.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, backup camera, roomy interior, expected reliability, smooth ride overall.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation user interface / usability, more leg room for 3rd row seating.

Navigation big disappointment
By Don

I purchased the navigation system and entered a destination only to find out a major interstate that opened in Nov. 07 is not included on the DVD. I have version 8.1 (the latest version). The navigation system sends me the wrong direction because there are no current updates. I have a $250.00 TomTom that is updatable on the internet and a much more useful tool than the $2000.00 navigation system from Toyota. The Sirius/XM is over priced from the dealer, I went online and found a $400.00 kit that I installed in 20 min. and works just like the OEM version.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage beats my GMC Envoy Denali which got 15 MPG. I am averaging 26.5 with the AC on and 28 with the AC off. Very happy with these results.

Suggested Improvements

Get online updates for the Navigation system, I complained to Toyota about this and they replied it could take 5 years to have I-355 (a major tollway in the Chicago area) appear on the DVD. I will have to buy the next version of the DVD when it comes out at a cost of $200.00 plus.

Love it
By Inland Northwest

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had it 4 months and 5000 miles. It's awesome to drive, and has plenty of room for family of four (2 teenagers) and dog to go on vacation. More than that, you'd need a car-top carrier for stuff. Third row seat is okay. Our mileage has been pretty good; we're averaging 24-25 overall. 28 on highway and 23 or so in town (we live in a small, very hilly town so anywhere we need to go is uphill and less than a mile away. Doesn't help us take advantage of hybrid very well). It drives beautifully. When we need to merge we turn off "econ" and boy, do we zoom. It's more comfortable than any car I've owned (including other Toyotas).

Favorite Features

Econ mode; comfortable seats; roominess in front and middle seats; overall drive experience; all wheel drive system

Suggested Improvements

get rid of blind spot at front left and right (difficult when turning)