Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Happily owned
By first hybrid

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just purchased 200 miles ago. You must drive in eco to receive better fuel economy. Bought it to replace a Odyssey. With our family of 5 the room is good. Cargo space is smaller than van but leg room is equal. Lots of power, options and comfort. We are getting 23 mpg but expect to do better with experience. Good replacement of a bad gas mileage van.

Blue tooth, eco and ev mode, fuel ecomony monitoring, and navigation.

Too get picky the third row should split, the nav should not lock out when moving. I pod should work with nav. The dvd playershould be controlled from nav. You must use remote control to power on and start movie without seeing menus.

Exactly what the doctor ordered!
By Ron L

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A very good overall vehicle. Has a great quiet ride and has great engine performance. I like the exterior look, but have to admit the hybrid drive is the reason I love it. My MPG has been as advertised once the vehicle has broken in and it was no longer winter. This Highlander has definetly made me forget my Pilot.

Performance and MPG makes for a perfectly balanced SUV.

Fold down rear seat could use a 50/50 or 60/40 split.

If you want to be 'Green'....
By JR

We bought this car for my wife (but of course I had to get it with all of the toys for me). We looked at the GMC Acadia, Mazda CX-9, and the Toyota Highlander. None of the above really compared to the highlander in terms of style, options, and reliability. Initially we were not considering a hybrid, but one came to the lot in our area. With gas now approach $3.50 a gallon, I am beginning to think we made a good decision. With our 3rd tank of gas, we are averaging about 26.2 mpg. This should improve as we break in the engine. The navigation takes a bit of practice to master, but after taking one evening to sit down and learn it, it is quite simple.

Love the gas mileage we are getting with a high powered V6 (and still has get up and go). The navigation/Bluetooth, auto-lift gate, hybrid monitor, rear back up camera are all great features. I also enjoy the ease of lowering the middle row seats from the rear of the car

Programmable seating and split third-row seating. It is a bit annoying to have to move the seat every time I drive from where my wife sits.

Steady Eddie
By eessydo

Many complaints about this vehicle saying it is "sluggish" on a test drive. My guess is that the dealer had the "ECON" button engaged when they pushed the accelerator down. The 270 horse is more than enough to get out of a jam. Comfort is definitely not an issue. It came down to the Ford Escape Hy or this vehicle, and while the ford gets better gas mileage and is a little more "off-road" ready, this car is built much better, and the average commuter will feel less bumps in the road. FYI, you have to be VERY active in your driving style to get the 27 mpg city in this car. It will take a while for you to learn the techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Semi fuel efficient for a mid-size SUV, third row seat, quality, ride, EV mode.

"Smarter" fuel economy built in for passive drivers. You have to stay active pushing EV at stop lights and around corners when viable. Also have to use less psycho hypermiling techniques to get over the 27 mpg city. I am currently at 28.5 mpg.

Quality Ride
By Rene'e

Before buying our Highlander, we researched and drove both the Ford Escape and Lexus RX 400h and found that for the money, the Toyota was a far better buy. The console is easy to read and operate i.e., big print. Plenty of head and leg room with added storage within arms reach, 4 drink holders, etc. too many extras to mention. After keeping mileage records for 3 months, we average 26.7 mpg. My husband, a truck guy, was hesitant about buying a hybrid, however he now hides the keys from me. The pick-up and go is comparable to any other 6cyl, however this vehicle is not for towing anything over 3500pds which we do with ease. All around a nice buy.

Storage and comfort combined with favorable mpg.

Good to go.