2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Very Happy
By Ohio Driver on 02/06/08 05:29 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my 08 Highlander Hybrid for just 5 days but I am very happy. I am a discerning consumer and I researched and thought about thiw vehicle for 5 months before purchasing. I have owned Toyotas for 23 years and this is the best out of the gate. It is actually smoother and quieter than I expected and rivals my Avalon - BUT the pick-up power is till great!

Went the extra mile
By bwolfe99 on 01/28/08 21:01 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Every imaginable gadget, great looks, great ride, it did not disappoint. Got just under 32 MPG driving to work today (25 miles in stop and go traffic). The car is great, if you could just actually order one with what you want in it, that would be big.

Great mileage for a SUV
By very happy on 01/21/08 22:29 PM (PST)

Very happy overall. Very quiet, very good MPG 1st tank 26, 2nd 28, 3rd 28 and fourth 31 MPG! True, lots of LA traffic involved to get those numbers. We also own a Prius so we have practice at driving hybrids. I'm 6'3" and have lots of leg room. Front seats could have a bit more thigh support, but still very comfortable. Would have prefered black leather interior...not offered. I've owned lots of Toyotas this one is by far the best.

Cream of Crop
By gabe on 01/19/08 23:29 PM (PST)

Toyota did it again! This HH is bigger, roomier & better mileage. Just loving it.

Our 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd
By Bill in FL on 01/18/08 09:01 AM (PST)

We did lots of research for our next new car. We also have a 2006 Prius & we knew nothing could touch it for gas mileage. So far it exceeds our expectations in all areas & now shows 26.2 MPG.

A great vehicle with a few quirks
By Craig on 01/09/08 10:45 AM (PST)

This is my first hybrid. I have noticed that if you want to milk every bit of mpg from this vehicle, you need to drive in ECON mode. Using ECON mode I get 25 mpg in mixed driving. Without ECON mode I get around 20 mpg - sometimes less. EV mode is, IMHO, a marketing gimmick as it will not work unless the temperature is right, the batteries are fully charged, etc, etc, etc. When idling in park or in traffic, you sometimes feel a bump and small surge forward. When driving, you do not feel gas/electric switching at all. In ECON mode, acceleration is damped to conserve fuel. In normal mode this vehicle is quite powerful and easily gets to freeway speeds.

Mine's not Quiet
By Karen on 01/07/08 09:07 AM (PST)

After a year of research and test driving various SUVs and crossovers we settled on the HH and decided to order exactly what we wanted. We had test driven several HH and other hybrids and all were quiet, but none impressed us like the HH. When our HH came in we were excited. It was beautiful and had everything we wanted, except for the NOISE! When we brake to slow down it sounds like a jet engine winding down. It also has a click. We were expecting the quiet we had experienced with the other HHs we drove, but were greatly disappointed. The dealership has told us that some hybrids have that noise more than others - it is normal. I won't order again. I buy what I test drive on the lot.

2008 Highlander Hybrid
By Ryan Johnson on 01/07/08 09:02 AM (PST)

My wife has always wanted the Lexus GX SUV due to reliability, luxury and performance, so for christmas I started shopping vehicles. I had never heard of a Highlander and I am very familiar with cars. When the dealer suggested we consider this new hybrid I had very little interest until sitting in the vehicle and driving it. Wow. It was clearly a better overall vehicle than any of the other SUVs I had been testing. The interior is a family room on wheels. Lots of room, all the features of high end SUVs, and the engine flat out gets after it. We get 24 mpg while driving very aggressive and fast. The all wheel drive has been excellent in the snow.

2nd time owner of an HH
By Barry on 12/24/07 16:41 PM (PST)

Overall very pleased with the vehicle. It is very quiet and smooth riding and plenty of room. I expect the fuel econ to improve at 600 miles driven fuel econ at 23.4 mpg on tank 1 and 25.1 on tank 2

Fuel Economy Disappointing
By Chris on 12/16/07 16:45 PM (PST)

Bought 11/2007. Traded a 07 highlander limited because wanted better mpg. Thought a 2008 highlander hybrid would be a good choice. So far not the case. We are paying much much more and getting the same mpg as the 07 highlander. A hybrid should get better than 18 mpg. Tried different octanes and so far nothing has worked. Very, very disappointed and stuck with it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.