Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Does everyting well
By gwnorth

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought this car in need of a vehicle with enough space for two kids, two dogs, and two adults with the hopes of getting some respectable mileage. It has meet our needs well and so far we have averaged about 27 mpg using the econ mode and focusing on how we drive the vehicle. Toyota builds a great car, just not a very exciting car. Don't get me wrong, it does everyting it is supposed to do and does it well, just very conservatively and below the radar. We are pleased with our purchase and hope to get many great years out of our new HH!

Favorite Features

Mileage, Blizzard Pearl color, ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

At this price point I think memory seats and a 10 way passenger seat would be appropriate.

Great Green SUV
By JE

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car since Dec 2007 and love it. I've been averaging 25.5 mpg (through winter, spring, and summer driving). It's been great for my family of four with plenty of space. I bought the base model but added leather (through a 3rd party), nav, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, DVD interoperability, a rear DVD player and heated seats. These additions probably saved me approx $5K over getting them through Toyota on the Limited package.

Favorite Features

Driving is extremely comfortable - quiet ride, very smooth, lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should offer more options in the base package. I had the POPULAR PLUS package which is nice but I wasn't able to do any a la carte from it.

I would buy another one
By mcnamara

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned the vehicle for 5 months. There has not been one problem with the car. Mileage 27.5 mpg city and 26 - 30 mpg on the highway. Most driving is at 5,000 to 6,500 feet above sea level. Gasoline is typically purchased with an ethanol/regular mixture. The ride is quiet and smooth. Plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Lots of room for a family of 4 plus all of the stuff. Mid row captain chairs with middle seat option is great. Like the fact that we have an available 3rd row of seats if needed. Auto lift gate, XM radio, ride, auto temperature, digital display status.

Suggested Improvements

Plug in electric for city driving 40 mpg average would be a good goal for a vehicle of this size

Could be a lemon
By Sr Tocino

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have purchased the hybrid and so far we are far from satisfied. The black box that displays engine performance has died. Lojack and handsfree telephone (dealer installed) took 2 weeks to get installed and the handsfree doesn't work and there was no manuals for either. We were told by the salesman and his manager we could get a luggage rack without having to get the sunroof (between skin cancer on my bald head and the fact I'm 6'4" the sunroof takes up headroom) only to be told after buying the car we couldn't get a rack without the sunroof package. We bought the vehicle to take our kayak and gear to the shore, now we can't. I feel that Toyota is taking customers for granted.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Roofracks, aftermarket add ons that work.

Great Car ! Very happy with purchase.
By JAB

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought this vehicle about 6 weeks ago and love it! The mileage is right about what it is rated at 27/city, 25/hwy. It probably could get better but I don't like always driving like a grandma so that's great mpg for me. The car has a lot of power when you need it such as getting on highways, etc., and has a smooth ride.

Favorite Features

Popular Plus package with auto lift-gate and separate glass opening, auto temperature for front and second row seats, third row seating. The space is great!

Suggested Improvements

Programmable seating for 2 drivers. Slightly sportier suspension.