2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
A reliable and fuel efficient SUV
By Scott on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this hybrid after months of research. I actually sold my 05 highlander as I wanted the fuel efficiency. The interior is great as well as the outside design. A family of 7 fits comfortably with limited luggage or 5 with ample cargo room too. I love driving my Toyota as it cruises on batteries only. I have snuck up on many people this way. My only gripes are two: the rear 3rd row seats are hard to get into and the Battery only button is nearly worthless. You can drive on battery only if you don't floor the accelerator. Overall a great SUV to pick up used. No problems at all. I average 25 MPG in the city and about 23-25 on the freeway. I do hate one thing, the navigation system.

'08 Highlander Hybrid Ltd. w/ Nav
By Bill of CA on 03/10/10 16:26 PM (PST)

Coming out of a '00 Lexus RX300, I tend to compare the Highlander w/ that SUV. The driving position is not as comfortable as I can't rest my elbows on either armrests when I'm driving. The rest of the SUV is good for hauling my family of 5 around town. DVD system w/ wireless headsets is great b/c I can listen to my music while the kids watch their Cartoons. The Nav works OK, but sometimes it sends me in circles. The 2nd row configuration is what sold me on this SUV; it gets you close to what a minivan can do. It misses the minivan in cargo space aft the 3rd row-it's just enough for a folded Combi single stroller, but not much more. It makes up by getting better MPG than the minivan-at a cost.

Good Horse
By Timothy on 01/29/09 08:40 AM (PST)

I am using for the past one year and definitely worthy in buying this still it costs more. Good for long drives and slow driving will save more gas. Seating comfort is excellent with lots of room for the legs. Altogether a good one and also good for carrying more goods in the back than the old models.

08 HH
By rtower on 12/22/08 20:08 PM (PST)

Highway mileage is great, 28 mpg at 70+ mph. We live at the top of a hill, + 650' over the valley where we shop and work; so my town driving isn't great, around 21 mpg, but 10+ mpg over the Yukon I had before at the same run. My major issue at the moment is the big tires on the Ltd edition, Toyo 245- 55-19, are a problem as I can't find chains to fit. With freezing rain over snow, chains are required on all roadways. The Toyo tires are just OK on the ice & snow, but I can't get any of the excellent Michelin X-type tires to fit the wheels. Comfort is pretty good, but I miss the roomyness and soft leather of my old Yukon Denali, woos, I'll make due. Overall, quite satisfied with the HH.

Love it
By highlandreview on 09/21/08 19:26 PM (PDT)

I just bought this car 1 week a go with only 7 miles on the odometer. I put 900 miles on it in one week (went on a road trip). I have averaged 26 mpg both in city and highway. I drove over a nail and a warning light showed me that I was losing psi in one of the tires. Without this feature I could have been stuck late at night on the road with 2 young kids. I stopped at the nearest gas station, filled up with air, and made it to my destination safely. I have a fully loaded limited hybrid and love it! The kids watched movies on the dual tv headrests while I listened to my iPod and called family via the voice activated blue tooth feature.

More Than Expected
By Freemarket2010 on 09/03/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

Picked this up last month. Got it at invoice since the car market is slow and 2009 models are coming. VERY impressed with the car. Drove every hybrid out there and thought the RX400h would be the one but there is really no comparison between the two. The RX is an older, noisier, less luxurious ride than the Highlander and, interestingly, very few people realize that. That may change in 2010 with the new RXh. This Highlander really excels in many areas. Mileage around town has been 26.5 mpg-better than we read here. It is very quiet and the intelligence of the interior layout is impressive. This is my wife's car and she's coming from a Lexus LS430 Ultra and she is more than satisfied.

18 days and 2 tanks
By Initial Impressions on 07/19/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

I've had this vehicle for about 680 miles and two tanks at 23.5 and 25.5 mpg. Not bad coming from a V8 Grand Cherokee @ 13 mpg. Ride is comfortable but a bit soft according to my preferences. Body roll and motions are controlled but nevertheless a bit too active for my taste. Steering is light which is good in parking lots but overly sensitive on the highway. Hybrid system works well but requires much attention to use effectively and optimally. Overall, the vehicle is quiet and suits my family needs well albeit in an unexciting and uninspiring way. If not for the hybrid system and the need for a SUV, I would have looked elsewhere.

Initial Impressions
By MJS on 07/08/08 21:41 PM (PDT)

~200 miles so far. Comfortable but chassis is geared for grandma. I prefer more responsive steering and suspension feedback but hey, this is a Toyota. I bought this for the MPG only and the need for a SUV. Otherwise not too exciting. Ride is quiet but steering is a bit loose at highway speeds. Too much assist and its not the speed sensitive type. Center console lacks imagination. No coin slot for individual coins amongst others. I can fit a rear facing carseat behind the passenger seat and someone can still ride in the front. Too bad you can't put the child seat in the center and have two 2nd row passengers (seat belt interferes) So far about 24mpg... lots of breaking in left

A Keeper
By Design Professional on 06/30/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

Since purchasing our Toyota Highlander Hybrid in December of 2007, we've driven nearly 9,000 miles. The car sees cold and snow when we visit Colorado in the winter and extreme heat when we visit Arizona in the summer. It is comfortable in both extremes. Very good in snow and ice, and quite at home on Mexico beaches. We've averaged 26-27 MPG with little effort, but we do drive somewhat slower with gas at $4.00. The interior features are a little more than we desired, but we wanted leather seating. The backup camera is hard to see when it's sunny and we have a small hard to detect rattle in the dash. We're sure Toyota will find the rattle and we'll keep the car until it has a plug-in accessory

Highlander Hybrid A Great Car
By Alan Allison on 06/29/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

We have owned the H/H for 4 months and love the vehicle. It drives and rides like a dream. We took 4 people, 4 medium suitcases, and 4 sets of golf clubs on a 1300 mile golf and wine buying trip. The back was full to the ceiling but we still had room for two cases of wine to bring home.Overall gas mileage is averaging 25mpg. So far we get better highway mpg 26-27 than city 24-25. Gas mileage was about 2.5 mpg higher before Oregon stuck it to the public with ethanol. Acceleration and passing ability is good, but if you lead foot the car a lot while driving it will cost you in mileage.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.