Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

MPG
By santabob1

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When we purchased the Hylander, new, we got 28 to 30 mpg. Now with 116,000 miles on the car we get 23mpg. We keep the car in ENCON all the time and I drive like an old man.....because I am an old man. Any ideas on the drop in mpgs?

7 seats

lower price

Disappointed
By searching15

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our HH new in 2008. We have replaced the 12v battery 3 times, replaced tires twice, and now have the car at the dealership for the 5th visit related to fueling issues - mainly that I can no longer fuel my HH. The car has been in for recalls 5 times, and the customer service at 5 dealerships has been seriously lacking if not all together absent. Definitely a lemon, and we have owned 3 other Toyota's without reliability issues, but the experience with this vehicle has left us disappointed and we will certainly not be purchasing another Toyota.

3rd row seating, safety

Better tires - the low tread to help with gas mileage means replacing tires more often so the money you save on gas, you will spend on new tires. 12V battery - from forums I have read, the specs for the battery they provide for this car is insufficient. Replacing the battery 3 times in 6 years is absurd.

Love the car-highly recommend
By ozziecookie

We purchased this 3 year old 2008 Highlander Hybrid 3 months ago and we could not be happier with it. It drives very well with excellent pick up. With time we have gotten familiar w/ the car and what it "likes". For example, on the highway, there are certain speeds-62 and 66, that it uses the electric power. Also, we are all driving less heavily on the pedal. It probably is good training to drive any car more efficiently. Overall, we get average 25 mpg. I am the main driver of the car. I use it to drive my son to school and back each day and after school lessons for both kids. My husband drives it occasionally and he loves it too. Whenever I am not using it, he uses it.

The Highlander is very comfortable. All the seats feel supportive and cushiony. As the main driver of the car, my back and neck pain from driving former car (2000 Odyssey-van) have completely disappeared. My kids (13 and 15) love the speakers-which are high quality. There is enough room if we raise the third seat for big teens to feel comfortable. The trunk space (with the third seat down) is roomy. Not as roomy as the mini van we had for 10 years though. But, I like this car better in every other way. I love that it is a very safe car and that it is a hybrid-better on gas consumption and pollution.

toyota
By kevin

this is an extremely sophisticated and fun to drive and is pretty fast for a hybrid

automatic trunk

comfort

A reliable and fuel efficient SUV
By Scott

I bought this hybrid after months of research. I actually sold my 05 highlander as I wanted the fuel efficiency. The interior is great as well as the outside design. A family of 7 fits comfortably with limited luggage or 5 with ample cargo room too. I love driving my Toyota as it cruises on batteries only. I have snuck up on many people this way. My only gripes are two: the rear 3rd row seats are hard to get into and the Battery only button is nearly worthless. You can drive on battery only if you don't floor the accelerator. Overall a great SUV to pick up used. No problems at all. I average 25 MPG in the city and about 23-25 on the freeway. I do hate one thing, the navigation system.

Fuel efficient, lots of features in side like heated seats, and a very comfortable ride.

Lose the button to run on battery only, the navigation system needs a Macintosh designer to make it more friendly. It was created by someone who is obviously a tech geek and not interested in user friendly controls.