2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Disappointed
By searching15 on 01/23/14 21:53 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our HH new in 2008. We have replaced the 12v battery 3 times, replaced tires twice, and now have the car at the dealership for the 5th visit related to fueling issues - mainly that I can no longer fuel my HH. The car has been in for recalls 5 times, and the customer service at 5 dealerships has been seriously lacking if not all together absent. Definitely a lemon, and we have owned 3 other Toyota's without reliability issues, but the experience with this vehicle has left us disappointed and we will certainly not be purchasing another Toyota.

Love the car-highly recommend
By ozziecookie on 11/20/11 20:46 PM (PST)

We purchased this 3 year old 2008 Highlander Hybrid 3 months ago and we could not be happier with it. It drives very well with excellent pick up. With time we have gotten familiar w/ the car and what it "likes". For example, on the highway, there are certain speeds-62 and 66, that it uses the electric power. Also, we are all driving less heavily on the pedal. It probably is good training to drive any car more efficiently. Overall, we get average 25 mpg. I am the main driver of the car. I use it to drive my son to school and back each day and after school lessons for both kids. My husband drives it occasionally and he loves it too. Whenever I am not using it, he uses it.

toyota
By kevin on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

this is an extremely sophisticated and fun to drive and is pretty fast for a hybrid

A reliable and fuel efficient SUV
By Scott on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this hybrid after months of research. I actually sold my 05 highlander as I wanted the fuel efficiency. The interior is great as well as the outside design. A family of 7 fits comfortably with limited luggage or 5 with ample cargo room too. I love driving my Toyota as it cruises on batteries only. I have snuck up on many people this way. My only gripes are two: the rear 3rd row seats are hard to get into and the Battery only button is nearly worthless. You can drive on battery only if you don't floor the accelerator. Overall a great SUV to pick up used. No problems at all. I average 25 MPG in the city and about 23-25 on the freeway. I do hate one thing, the navigation system.

'08 Highlander Hybrid Ltd. w/ Nav
By Bill of CA on 03/10/10 16:26 PM (PST)

Coming out of a '00 Lexus RX300, I tend to compare the Highlander w/ that SUV. The driving position is not as comfortable as I can't rest my elbows on either armrests when I'm driving. The rest of the SUV is good for hauling my family of 5 around town. DVD system w/ wireless headsets is great b/c I can listen to my music while the kids watch their Cartoons. The Nav works OK, but sometimes it sends me in circles. The 2nd row configuration is what sold me on this SUV; it gets you close to what a minivan can do. It misses the minivan in cargo space aft the 3rd row-it's just enough for a folded Combi single stroller, but not much more. It makes up by getting better MPG than the minivan-at a cost.

Careful of the Paint Job
By nasoj1 on 06/20/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

I am mostly happy with the Hybrid. However the paint is beginning to blister in small areas the size of a pencil eraser. I have found that this type of paint problem has been found before with Toyota vehicles. I have had the SUV for about five months now and the dealer told me to contact Toyota USA to resolve the problem.

My Dream Car from the moment I test drove
By brandoshido on 03/12/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

I was in love with this vehicle from the moment I test drove it OVER A YEAR ago. So it took me a year to buy this vehicle. I am so glad i did (although my payments are wayyyy more than what I was wanting). It drives like a dream, has plenty of space for my mid-large size dog, and my workmates who I carpool with once a week. I am consistently getting 30.5 - 32 MPG off of my first 4 tanks so far. My buddies have all said the back seat is "cavernous" compared to my 2008 rav4 (I traded it in for this car). They also said the seats were "very comfortable". Get this car if you plan on keeping for 10+ years, the fuel savings won't catch up until then because of the price premium. I LOVE it!!!

Good Horse
By Timothy on 01/29/09 08:40 AM (PST)

I am using for the past one year and definitely worthy in buying this still it costs more. Good for long drives and slow driving will save more gas. Seating comfort is excellent with lots of room for the legs. Altogether a good one and also good for carrying more goods in the back than the old models.

Perfect vehicle for us
By Nicmo on 12/24/08 15:30 PM (PST)

Owned 1 month. So far this car is perfect for our needs. Has plenty of power, big nav/back up screen, good stereo sound, quiet ride. Waited 3 yrs for the 2010 RX 350 and finally saw it at the SF Auto show. It looked essentially the same as the old version, which we didn't care for, only slightly bigger. While at the show checked out all the Xs (MDX, RDX, FX, EX) but for the money there was no comparison, at least from a tech side and sitting in the showroom, plus this runs on regular gas. The next weekend we test drove them all except the 2010 RX which is available in Feb and found the all wheel version of this car to be as good as any of the others.

08 HH
By rtower on 12/22/08 20:08 PM (PST)

Highway mileage is great, 28 mpg at 70+ mph. We live at the top of a hill, + 650' over the valley where we shop and work; so my town driving isn't great, around 21 mpg, but 10+ mpg over the Yukon I had before at the same run. My major issue at the moment is the big tires on the Ltd edition, Toyo 245- 55-19, are a problem as I can't find chains to fit. With freezing rain over snow, chains are required on all roadways. The Toyo tires are just OK on the ice & snow, but I can't get any of the excellent Michelin X-type tires to fit the wheels. Comfort is pretty good, but I miss the roomyness and soft leather of my old Yukon Denali, woos, I'll make due. Overall, quite satisfied with the HH.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.