Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

MPG
By santabob1

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When we purchased the Hylander, new, we got 28 to 30 mpg. Now with 116,000 miles on the car we get 23mpg. We keep the car in ENCON all the time and I drive like an old man.....because I am an old man. Any ideas on the drop in mpgs?

7 seats

lower price

A reliable and fuel efficient SUV
By Scott

I bought this hybrid after months of research. I actually sold my 05 highlander as I wanted the fuel efficiency. The interior is great as well as the outside design. A family of 7 fits comfortably with limited luggage or 5 with ample cargo room too. I love driving my Toyota as it cruises on batteries only. I have snuck up on many people this way. My only gripes are two: the rear 3rd row seats are hard to get into and the Battery only button is nearly worthless. You can drive on battery only if you don't floor the accelerator. Overall a great SUV to pick up used. No problems at all. I average 25 MPG in the city and about 23-25 on the freeway. I do hate one thing, the navigation system.

Fuel efficient, lots of features in side like heated seats, and a very comfortable ride.

Lose the button to run on battery only, the navigation system needs a Macintosh designer to make it more friendly. It was created by someone who is obviously a tech geek and not interested in user friendly controls.

'08 Highlander Hybrid Ltd. w/ Nav
By Bill of CA

Coming out of a '00 Lexus RX300, I tend to compare the Highlander w/ that SUV. The driving position is not as comfortable as I can't rest my elbows on either armrests when I'm driving. The rest of the SUV is good for hauling my family of 5 around town. DVD system w/ wireless headsets is great b/c I can listen to my music while the kids watch their Cartoons. The Nav works OK, but sometimes it sends me in circles. The 2nd row configuration is what sold me on this SUV; it gets you close to what a minivan can do. It misses the minivan in cargo space aft the 3rd row-it's just enough for a folded Combi single stroller, but not much more. It makes up by getting better MPG than the minivan-at a cost.

2nd row configuration. 3rd row big enough for sub-teens. JBL sound is worth the extra $. Hybrid yields about 25.6 mpg with 10% city/90% hwy; avg. 65-75 mph on hwy. Rear camera on Nav screen is great.

No park assist in front bumper. Rear zone AC should be std. No built in sun visors in doors. Optional air suspension. Switch to Lithium based batteries (instead of Nickle based).

Good Horse
By Timothy

I am using for the past one year and definitely worthy in buying this still it costs more. Good for long drives and slow driving will save more gas. Seating comfort is excellent with lots of room for the legs. Altogether a good one and also good for carrying more goods in the back than the old models.

Comfortable seats, less noisy, smooth engine.

Interior design needs more attention also exterior painting gets dot spots soon. FM radio without antenna.

08 HH
By rtower

Highway mileage is great, 28 mpg at 70+ mph. We live at the top of a hill, + 650' over the valley where we shop and work; so my town driving isn't great, around 21 mpg, but 10+ mpg over the Yukon I had before at the same run. My major issue at the moment is the big tires on the Ltd edition, Toyo 245- 55-19, are a problem as I can't find chains to fit. With freezing rain over snow, chains are required on all roadways. The Toyo tires are just OK on the ice & snow, but I can't get any of the excellent Michelin X-type tires to fit the wheels. Comfort is pretty good, but I miss the roomyness and soft leather of my old Yukon Denali, woos, I'll make due. Overall, quite satisfied with the HH.

The hybrid system works well and the highway and flatland mileage is good. The third seat is clever and has come in handy while staying out of the way, much better than the Denali. Not an off-road rig, but then neither was the Yukon. Good turning radius and reasonable handling under geeser demands.

Still thinking about this one. The owners manual says to put chains on the front wheels, now to find chains that will work, I'm worried about some close tolerance between the tire and the strut if I can find chains to fit. Still evaluating overall. Plenty of power.