2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Excellent car except for start

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Excellent car except for start battery
By hallett1 on

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use this car for everything including towing a 2,000 lb Casita trailer. I have driven several times the length of Baja California with the trailer. The car tows the trailer very well, and there is plenty of power for towing on steep, prolonged mountain passes or for passing. You hardly know the trailer is there. Towing or not, the car consistently gets several MPG better than my former Honda 2004 Odyssey. However, note that MPG GOES DOWN VERY FAST AS YOU INCREASE HIGHWAY SPEED OVER 65 MPH, as you would expect due to wind/tire resistance. The car handles extremely well, great suspension. The only problem encountered is with the small start battery, which frequently goes dead.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, and suspension. Handles big bumps like speed bumps extremely well.

Suggested Improvements

At first, the starter battery went dead only if I left dome lights on, or a door open. But now the battery always goes dead after about 5 days. The dealer could find no problem. Many people report battery problems. It acts as if the battery is not getting charged. I suspect a problem with ignition switch. Till I get it solved, I keep battery charged with a battery tender in the garage.