Used 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Incredible reliability, perfect size
By litespeedn

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car new in 2006, now have 168,000 miles. In well over 1 million miles of driving, this Highlander has been the most reliable, comfortable car I have ever owned. No repairs have been needed at all, just routine maintenance - oil changes every 10K miles with synthetic oil, also replaced the coolant, timing belt, and spark plugs at 90K. Car is still on the original brakes! On 3rd set of tires. This car has great acceleration, good mileage (average 25.5 MPG, and I tend to drive fast), great room for passengers or gear. AWD with stability control is great for low traction or slippery roads, although I don't offroad. I have the Limited version with navigation - nav system still good, but I had to buy a new disc on eBay to get updated roads. Car structure is still solid with no rattles. I don't see any new vehicles that compare with this one yet - the new Highlander is too big, and small SUVs are overstyled and lack room inside. I hope to keep this car for a few more years.

Love this car
By Stan Snapp

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Over priced when new. Heavy but very comfortable. Between engine and electric motors 0-60 is very fast. Wish it ran more on the electric side.

Excellent car except for start battery
By hallett1

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use this car for everything including towing a 2,000 lb Casita trailer.
I have driven several times the length of Baja California with the trailer.

The car tows the trailer very well, and there is plenty of power for towing on steep, prolonged mountain passes or for passing.
You hardly know the trailer is there.

Towing or not, the car consistently gets several MPG better than my former Honda 2004 Odyssey.
However, note that MPG GOES DOWN VERY FAST AS YOU INCREASE HIGHWAY SPEED OVER 65 MPH, as you would expect due to wind/tire resistance.

The car handles extremely well, great suspension.

The only problem encountered is with the small start battery, which frequently goes dead.

Handling, power, and suspension. Handles big bumps like speed bumps extremely well.

At first, the starter battery went dead only if I left dome lights on, or a door open. But now the battery always goes dead after about 5 days. The dealer could find no problem. Many people report battery problems. It acts as if the battery is not getting charged. I suspect a problem with ignition switch. Till I get it solved, I keep battery charged with a battery tender in the garage.

Last of the 07s
By Thundarr

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a hard time finding a Limited Edition AWD and had to settle for a FWD and put in my own Nav system. I am very pleasantly surprised with the vehicle and how fun it is to drive. The side mirrors give great visibility and I put a rear camera on the Pioneer Nav system I bought to cover directly behind the vehicle for backing up and parking. I looked around for a hybrid for my family and this is the best of the 07s. The 08s looked nicer but I didn't think I could get it in my garage and the hybrid wasn't going to be out till October and I wanted to catch the last $650 in tax credits which expire end of Sept for Toyota. Very pleased.

Definitely the seats. These are the only ones that could compare with my 300M car seats. Although no memory settings. The car rides great handles well for an SUV. You almost forget you are driving on the freeway with the cruise control on.

Better gas mileage and you sure didn't need to make it bigger for 08. I would have probably bought a Rav4 hybrid if it would have been available but I don't know if it would have ridden as nicely as the HH. Make more hybrids! It sure was hard finding a Hybrid Limited AWD.

It could be better
By Richard

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, it is a very nice car. This is the second hybrid I bought this year, my first was a Ford Escape. The power of the HH far exceeds the Ford, but it cost you 6-7 mpg. The HH is more spacious and I am confident the resale will be better, but I do enjoy driving the Ford more than the HH.

It has room to move around and the lumbar support is nice.

The power meter is of no real value and would be better served with a tachometer.