Used 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Excellent car except for start battery
By hallett1

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use this car for everything including towing a 2,000 lb Casita trailer. I have driven several times the length of Baja California with the trailer. The car tows the trailer very well, and there is plenty of power for towing on steep, prolonged mountain passes or for passing. You hardly know the trailer is there. Towing or not, the car consistently gets several MPG better than my former Honda 2004 Odyssey. However, note that MPG GOES DOWN VERY FAST AS YOU INCREASE HIGHWAY SPEED OVER 65 MPH, as you would expect due to wind/tire resistance. The car handles extremely well, great suspension. The only problem encountered is with the small start battery, which frequently goes dead.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, and suspension. Handles big bumps like speed bumps extremely well.

Suggested Improvements

At first, the starter battery went dead only if I left dome lights on, or a door open. But now the battery always goes dead after about 5 days. The dealer could find no problem. Many people report battery problems. It acts as if the battery is not getting charged. I suspect a problem with ignition switch. Till I get it solved, I keep battery charged with a battery tender in the garage.

Last of the 07s
By Thundarr

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a hard time finding a Limited Edition AWD and had to settle for a FWD and put in my own Nav system. I am very pleasantly surprised with the vehicle and how fun it is to drive. The side mirrors give great visibility and I put a rear camera on the Pioneer Nav system I bought to cover directly behind the vehicle for backing up and parking. I looked around for a hybrid for my family and this is the best of the 07s. The 08s looked nicer but I didn't think I could get it in my garage and the hybrid wasn't going to be out till October and I wanted to catch the last $650 in tax credits which expire end of Sept for Toyota. Very pleased.

Favorite Features

Definitely the seats. These are the only ones that could compare with my 300M car seats. Although no memory settings. The car rides great handles well for an SUV. You almost forget you are driving on the freeway with the cruise control on.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and you sure didn't need to make it bigger for 08. I would have probably bought a Rav4 hybrid if it would have been available but I don't know if it would have ridden as nicely as the HH. Make more hybrids! It sure was hard finding a Hybrid Limited AWD.

It could be better
By Richard

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, it is a very nice car. This is the second hybrid I bought this year, my first was a Ford Escape. The power of the HH far exceeds the Ford, but it cost you 6-7 mpg. The HH is more spacious and I am confident the resale will be better, but I do enjoy driving the Ford more than the HH.

Favorite Features

It has room to move around and the lumbar support is nice.

Suggested Improvements

The power meter is of no real value and would be better served with a tachometer.

2007 Toyota HH
By utahsteve1

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased a new 2007 hybrid Highlander and broke it in over the holiday weekend. Drove approximately 1350 total miles. First 800: varied speed from 45-70 on 2 lane highway with lots of hills in rural areas. Averaged 29.1 by the dispaly and on paper. Second 550: set cruise control at 70 on interstate and averaged 28.7. This seems good to me. Vehicle is very comfortable over long distances and seriously quiet. Rides nicely and handles well. Have not used AC but heater seems to work well. Am very happy with my purchase and hope that with increased mileage that the gas economy will improve.

Favorite Features

Everything so far.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing yet.

Following first long trip
By Dave

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Took my first road trip of about 500 milies and was mildly disappointed with the fuel economy (25 MPG - highway). Although only 2 MPG under the advertised 27, I drove very carefully and tried to eke out as much electric motor driving as I could. I have come to the conclusion that this is not an "econo-box" but simply a performance vehicle that gets the economy of a 4-cyl with the umph of an 8. Fun to drive, great pick-up, and comfy. A real step up from my Subaru Outback. If given the choice all over again, however, I would opt for the non-hybrid 6 and spend the extra cash on a 4wd, an upgraded Limited, and other accessories.

Favorite Features

Comfort and quality of workmanship.

Suggested Improvements

Economy and cloth seats (shiny material looks and feels cheap).