2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Great Mileage SUV/CUV
By ejo1 on 07/01/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a good mileage vehicle to pull my Boston Whaler after running a small CUV with decent mileage. Every car and pickup I looked at would get 20 mpg or less a few maybe low 20's when not pulling a boat and as 98% of the time I'm not pulling a boat this was not a good option to go from 24 mpg average daily driving to <20mpg. I found this Highlander and now get 26-27 mpg average and easily can pull and launch my boat and when doing so get 21 or more mpg. All this in luxury.

Watch out! Hybrid Inverter Failure
By dmr500 on 06/24/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I loved my beautiful 2007 Highlander Hybrid SUV until the inverter failed immediately after the 100,000 mile warranty. The part costs close to $7000. It is a sealed part - no customer maintenance required. Not something you'd expect to fail after just 100,000 miles. Toyota Customer Care says it's my problem. Internet research shows that this is a bigger and more widespread problem than Toyota is willing to admit. Here's the clincher. The car completely stalled out while I was driving at about 40 miles per hour. I had to coast to the side of the road. It was harrowing. This is a dangerous problem - I am getting rid of this car. I would not recommend a Toyota hybrid of any sort.

Meets all our expectations
By caymandiver75 on 01/02/11 13:01 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded in our 06 MDX for this 07 Highlander Hybrid and have been very impressed so far. The MDX once a year seemed to have transmission issues and the 17.5 mpg wasn't great either for commuting 60 miles a day. The Highlander has yielded us 28mpg highway and 29mpg in the city. The ride is very very smooth and the looks are quite handsome in nature.

Improvements and towing
By Gene on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I tried to find a backup camera with no results, If toyota would retrofit the 2007 for a reasonable cost it would be great. They need to do something about the noise when you open the rear windows, the vehicle make a noise that is extremely hard on the ears.

Defective Battery and Charging System
By John Nelson on 06/25/10 07:12 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In December, 2009, I entered the vehicle one morning and it would not start, the battery was dead. I called Auto Club, and they jump started the vehicle. 4 months later, the same thing happened, and I attempted to jump start it myself, having purchased a set of cables in the interim. I was unsuccessful, and called for a tow. The vehicle could not be jump started, and was towed to a Toyota dealer. I had purchased an extended warranty, and asked that any repairs be covered under it. I was told that I had damaged a special fuse, and my actions had rendered the warranty invalid. The battery system is defective. Several other reviews describe the same problem.

Women should be aware of reliability
By Susan S on 04/21/10 13:02 PM (PDT)

The battery in this car is not sufficient. The battery dies after being left for 5+ days. Always have to get a jump when left at the airport (dark at night in the parking lot). Battery died in an under ground parking lot when I got in, turned int.lights on and tried to put my next destination into the GPS.Did not have enough juice to turn over the engine. Last time I was in the pouring rain at a track meet and within 5 minutes having the radio going and the heater on, the car just powered down. Left stranded again. I am now scarred to drive this car as being stranded is always in the back of my mind. I have to park with the front facing out on trips,beg shuttle guy to give boost when let out

towing my boat
By zig on 01/22/10 17:19 PM (PST)

towed my 17ft Boston whaler 350 miles and got an impressive 20mpg considering i used to get about 12mpg with my truck-the highlander towed the boat with no problems at all plus a lot more comfortable

Good, Some Improvements Required
By rico_ on 10/20/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

Overall a good car with good Toyota quality. The biggest complaint is the battery in the gas engine dies if a door is left slightly ajar or a light is left on - once that battery is dead the car will not start, despite being full of batteries! (ppl laugh when I say the battery died on my hybrid!) We bought a portable jump start kit and it works great. Otherwise a good vehicle. Price is a bit high. Mileage is good but not great - when gasoline prices spiked I felt smart but the added cost is hard to justify, although it is an improvement for the environment (over a regular SUV). Would recommend this car.

Mileage Meter Calibration?
By Voxhumana on 10/07/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

We have enjoyed our hybrid for 2.5 years and consistently score 22.6 MPG. It doesn't seem to matter how we drive, or if we are towing our RV or not, always the same: 22.6 MPG. Can this be accurate? Of course this mileage is great when towing the RV, but the next tank, without the RV in tow, is EXACTLY the same. How could this be statistically possible? We reset the counter on every tank. Otherwise, we love the car.

Overall Quality.
By JB on 08/15/09 15:04 PM (PDT)

This was our first Toyota. This is a great SUV. Nice lines. It is solid and well built. Has nice fit and finish, but the dash lights and radio are not all the same color backlighting. Should be uniform. Increased hybrid price was not worth it. I liked being green, but the extra cost was not worth it. Back seat needs separate AC controls, Aft is hot in the summer. Cup holders needed to be better designed. Third seat is pretty tight, but this is not a big truck, so you get what you pay for. We tow a double jet ski trailer and it does a great job. No lag or drag.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.