Used 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Hybrid Battery Heck
By mtnman7615

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought new in 2007 with assurance that problems with hybrid battery were fixed. First hybrid battery went out at 51,000 miles. Replaced under warranty. Second hybrid battery went out at 141,000 and was told it would be a $6,400 repair bill. Toyota customer service was useless, but dealer agreed to pay half of the cost as a "good will" gesture. Very disappointed in having to spend $3000 to replace a part that is supposed to be a "lifetime of the vehicle" part - twice at less than half the expected lifetime of the vehicle! Also disappointed at Toyota for not standing behind this product better. Won't be buying another Toyota product, especially a hybrid!

Favorite Features

Love this vehicle, except for cost of replacing hybrid battery to keep it running. Mileage is about 27 mpg on average. Not good enough to justify extra thousands of dollars in up-front cost, plus battery replacement, tho. Otherwise, great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

If Toyota really wants to say the hybrid battery failure issue has been resolved, then they should step up and back that statement up with lifetime warranty, or at least warranty the $5000+ replacement battery for 100k miles as the original. Also, never understood why the doors don't lock when put into gear like other vehicles. Asked dealer about this at first and was told that isn't possible. My "cheap" 2003 Chevy Tahoe does it, tho, and has since the day I bought it.

A super vehicle
By skidaddy

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've owned our Highlander Hybrid for 4 generally trouble-free years. The hybrid batteries significantly help gasoline mileage for under 45 mph trips - which covers much of my wife's daily routine. But the added horsepower of the hybrid also improves acceleration, which makes driving it more fun. Great room inside. Ours is awd, and it performs good in snow and great on slippery roads. We just did the timing belt/water pump at 97k, along with a new radiator. Looking forward to many more years of great, reliable transportation.

Favorite Features

The extremely solid build, the acceleration and overall quality and comfort of the interior. It is definitely not a cutting edge dash interface, but it is easy to use. Don't expect an adult to be comfortable in the third row, but for us, it does come in handy for the occasional time when we need to seat more than 5.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lights could be improved so they don't project so brightly at night. Our starter battery has died once over four years, which isn't bad - but it is rather small for a car battery and a larger one might provide more assurance of reliability.

Excellent car except for start battery
By hallett1

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use this car for everything including towing a 2,000 lb Casita trailer. I have driven several times the length of Baja California with the trailer. The car tows the trailer very well, and there is plenty of power for towing on steep, prolonged mountain passes or for passing. You hardly know the trailer is there. Towing or not, the car consistently gets several MPG better than my former Honda 2004 Odyssey. However, note that MPG GOES DOWN VERY FAST AS YOU INCREASE HIGHWAY SPEED OVER 65 MPH, as you would expect due to wind/tire resistance. The car handles extremely well, great suspension. The only problem encountered is with the small start battery, which frequently goes dead.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, and suspension. Handles big bumps like speed bumps extremely well.

Suggested Improvements

At first, the starter battery went dead only if I left dome lights on, or a door open. But now the battery always goes dead after about 5 days. The dealer could find no problem. Many people report battery problems. It acts as if the battery is not getting charged. I suspect a problem with ignition switch. Till I get it solved, I keep battery charged with a battery tender in the garage.

Great Mileage SUV/CUV
By ejo1

I needed a good mileage vehicle to pull my Boston Whaler after running a small CUV with decent mileage. Every car and pickup I looked at would get 20 mpg or less a few maybe low 20's when not pulling a boat and as 98% of the time I'm not pulling a boat this was not a good option to go from 24 mpg average daily driving to <20mpg. I found this Highlander and now get 26-27 mpg average and easily can pull and launch my boat and when doing so get 21 or more mpg. All this in luxury.

Favorite Features

Great pick-up/acceleration and good mileage for size and weight of the vehicle

Suggested Improvements

For "top of the line" model bluetooth should have been included. Better audio system.

Watch out! Hybrid Inverter Failure
By dmr500

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I loved my beautiful 2007 Highlander Hybrid SUV until the inverter failed immediately after the 100,000 mile warranty. The part costs close to $7000. It is a sealed part - no customer maintenance required. Not something you'd expect to fail after just 100,000 miles. Toyota Customer Care says it's my problem. Internet research shows that this is a bigger and more widespread problem than Toyota is willing to admit. Here's the clincher. The car completely stalled out while I was driving at about 40 miles per hour. I had to coast to the side of the road. It was harrowing. This is a dangerous problem - I am getting rid of this car. I would not recommend a Toyota hybrid of any sort.

Suggested Improvements

Recall and fix all of these before someone gets killed.