2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Three months into a Highlander

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

Three months into a Highlander Hybrid
By Drew on

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I have 3 Toyotas; a Sienna, a convertible Solara and the Highlander. When we choose to drive a car we usually choose the Highlander; it is so cool to drive. Its technology is superb and leading edge. the battery helps drive the car if you are not accelerating, sometimes without the engine at all; you can idle forever and use NO gas; and you swoosh when you accelerate, since there is no gear shifting... something the salesman barely mentioned and seems to be a secret. And the intelligent 4 wheel drive is cool, you don't shift into it. If you need it, it goes into 4 wheel drive automatically. Probably no good for off road. We've had it for 3 months now and love everything about it.

I love the continuous transmission, with no gear shifting. It is so smooth in acceleration and deceleration. It is more like a jet plane than a car as it accelerates, it doesn't shift therefore it doesn't have any bumps or jerks. I also love that I can cruise using only the battery.