2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Disappointed with MPG

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

Disappointed with MPG
By MCD on

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am leasing a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. I'm in second year; took car for service for poor MPG, averaging 16.8 MPG city/highway for 800+ miles. I was told that it is what I should expect! At 26K I am averaging 21.4 MPG in city. The battery immediately reverts to gas. The service dept. said nothing could be done and that other Highlanders were getting similar MPG. This is not acceptable! The sticker indicates 31 miles city and 27 miles highway. I wrote to Toyota-their reply: MPG sticker quotes are generated under controlled testing conditions for EPA and so I should bring it in for servicing. Fuel efficiency is influenced by many variables: tire pressure, weather, fuel additives, etc.

Navigation system, exterior appearance, sun roof - that's about it!

Improve battery/engine to give better MPG; claustrophobic third row seating; more room needed between front seats and console; storage under console is useless; second row seat belt units presses on passengers' backs; front seat dual heat/air conditioning controls, reading lights above doors.