2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Bought one... wish I didn't
By outnumbered on 07/24/06 17:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Although it has a lot of positive aspects, it's what comes up short that makes all the difference! Front seats don't go back far enough. If you are 6' tall the angle of the seats cause upper leg discomfort on long drives. Dash display failed in the 1st year & dealer said "the lights are on" but the display WAS broken. It took 4 trips before they admitted a problem existed. Mileage is good in the city, but no better than std Highlander on the hwy. Very disappointing! Navigation system is a very low-end unit (they charge for a top of the line unit). The display is dull like a low resolution monitor. Interior lights cannot be adjusted separate from dash lights-BAD.

New age for an old man
By koy on 07/09/06 12:44 PM (PDT)

I am a 78 year old male who loves autos, trucks and suvs. Our hylander hybrid is a great vehicle.

Highlander Hybrid Review
By Hybrid-Owner on 07/09/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

Well worth the purchase overall! I would like to see more features added to the highend limited model which should be included for the price. Things such as seat memory, rear backup camera or sensor, miles to empty info, more buttons on the steering wheel like other lux cars. The nav software is not user friendly but the trip info for the hybrid part is very cool. The EV button that many talk about would be nice to have to manually save more on fuel. Larger gas tank should be considered if the car really does not get 30+/- per gallon as it will result in more trips to the gas station with the car getting less then 400 miles per tank.

Everything
By clee on 06/30/06 14:47 PM (PDT)

I've wanted an AWD car that can pull my boat but be a hybrid. Finally it arrived and my expectations have been exceeded. Such comfort, quiet, smoothness, and luxury were not expected and definitely welcome. My other car is a 2003 Forester XS, and it seems like a different era compared to the Highlander.

First Hybrid Experience
By CD on 06/25/06 14:02 PM (PDT)

The Highlander Hybrid is a pleasure to drive and is comfortable even for a tall person to drive. The trim and appointments of the interior (the Limited edition) are pleasing and show obvious build quality. We did not get the navigation system but the info display shows instantaneous and cumulative mpg and the display in the instrument cluster shows which way the power is going (into/out of the battery or engine).

Fuel Mule
By likestotrade on 06/23/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like the vehicle. It has not lived up to the fuel economy 23 hwy and 25 city. If I keep the speedometer at 55 I can get 24 on the highway. I was expecting something closer to 28. Driving oldladiesque has yeilded me 25 in town. A let down for sure. I was hope to see numbers over 29. Otherwise this car is great. Lots of power when you need it. This is roomy vehicle, looks to be a very safe, and rides likes a camry. The ride is quiet. If you want an SUV that gets the gas mileage of your average car this is it. Toyota quality makes this a no brainer when looking at the competition.

Highlander Hybrid
By Jeff & Kathy Miller on 06/19/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

My husband and I traded in our Sequoia because we were impressed with information Toyota put out about the Highlander Hybrid. Toyota advertised the Hybrid as getting 33mpg city and 28mpg highway (much better than our Sequoia). We have owned this car for 4+months and are getting nowhere near what Toyota has advertised. We are dissatisfied with the gas mileage and the fact that there are no air vents in the back. Therefore when our kids sit in the back seats on a hot day, they nearly suffocate. We are very dissatisfied with our purchase and hold the Toyota Company completely at fault for false advertisement. We own 3 Toyota vehicles and have been very happy up until this purchase.

a very good comprise
By Gene on 06/07/06 15:23 PM (PDT)

You will find the ride a bit stiff and if you are a six footer you will have a reach for the steering wheel (if you sit with even pressure on the bottoms of the legs). Good vision all around, fit and finish is very good, mileage has been at 27 per with all types of driving. Tranny is as smooth as it gets; combine batt/engine gives more than ample power. Be sure to shop and compare.

Terrific Vehicle
By Jane Faul on 06/06/06 08:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owning this vehicle has brought me nothing but joy each time I have an excuse to drive it. It has plenty of power, surges with quick pick-up when needed, and is incredibly comfortable, smooth, and quiet. It has a perky appearance outside, thanks to its rear spoiler, and with its squared-off rear design, it provides more vertical interior hauling capacity than those vehicles with more slope. The rear spoiler seems to be a valuable feature, not only for appearance, but also for keeping the rear window clean while driving in traffic and rain. It handles easily and responds beautifully. It has plenty of room inside for four hefty adults in complete comfort.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid
By mwalsh65 on 06/06/06 08:17 AM (PDT)

I love my Highlander Hybrid. I used to drive a Saab 9-3, which I also loved. I got an avg of 21 mpg with the Saab. Because I have a 2 year-old and am facing preschool and carpool, I wanted to get a bigger vehicle, but did not want to get less mpg. Unfortunately, most mid-sized SUVs got 20 mpg or lower. Then the Highlander Hybrid was introduced and I jumped at it. Now, I get an average of 26 mpg (better than my sedan)and I have much more room (including a third row seat that folds into the floor). The vehicle drives very well and is very comfortable. I love this vehicle and I highly recommend it as a non gas-guzzling family car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.