2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Best midsize SUV
By Fred on 08/16/06 13:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned new Explorers, a Mountaineer, a Blazer, Tahoe LT, Avalanche, 2 Durango's, 2 Chrysler minivans in addition to passenger cars. The Highlander is the most fun to drive, has the best handling, the smoothest, quietest drive, the best performance and by far the best economy. My best in town mileage, 215 miles @ 35.5MPG and 31.1 for 496 miles. Since I enjoy the perky acceleration, I usually average 25 to 27 MPG in town - which, to me, is still worth the higher price of the hybrid. Highway mileage at 70 MPH usually runs 24 to 26 MPG, @65 MPH-25 to 27 MPG, @60 MPH-27 to 29 MPG, @55 MPH-29 to 31 MPG.

Stylish Step in the Right Direction
By Guy on 08/14/06 23:38 PM (PDT)

I've had my Limited AWD hybrid Highlander for one year now, and no problems yet. Its acceleration is a lot of fun. And its wood and leather interior, and "gold package" metal nameplates on the exterior, all give this vehicle a lot of style. Highway mileage is the 27/31 hwy/city mpg as advertized, as long as I don't go above 65 mph. Otherwise it drops to 24-25 mpg. No chance to measure city- only mpg, but it is higher than hwy mileage, maybe 31. But with sunroof, headroom is a little low for my 6'2". Legroom barely adequate. And though William Shatner was right about its smooth ride, seats seem way too firm for much comfort on long trips.

Miles per gallon
By jim on 08/13/06 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The highlander hybrid I purchased has a mileage rating of 28 highway and 32 city. This would make me assume the mileage would not average less than 30 per gallon. I have been trying my hardest to "work" the battery for better mileage, although the best I can average with this vehicle in any condition is 27.5.

Mixed Feelings
By hi land er on 08/05/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I feel the advertising and the sticker on the window promised MUCH better mileage for a hybrid SUV than it gets in reality, even while driving with Toyota's fuel-ecomony tips. Overall, I like the car, how it handles, acceleration, interior & exterior (decent length for an SUV). I have had it since Oct 2005. But we paid a lot for it & I am still upset about the low gas mileage. I know it's an SUV, but much better mileage should be possible.

1 year and going strong
By Jane and John on 08/01/06 16:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I are so happy that we wanted to give an update. We have had our hybrid 1 year and 20K miles later. The performance has been flawless. MPG averages 27, not bad given a lot of AC use in the south. Absolutely NO mechanical problems. As the gas prices rise, our happiness with this vehicle rises proportionally. Toyota quality so far so good and as advertised.

First impressions
By drewm on 08/01/06 16:32 PM (PDT)

I really appreciate how smoothly it switches from electric to gas and back. You don't even notice it. The pick-up is remarkable. It is very quiet, and rides like a car... not quite as smooth as my Sienna, but close.

Highlander Hybrid is a winner!
By Oakley on 07/30/06 16:14 PM (PDT)

The power on demand that the hybrid offers due to the direct drive system is the true beauty of the hybrids. 0 to 60 in 5 seconds is typical with the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Buy one and you will own only Hybrids from now on!

Love it
By pete on 07/29/06 06:04 AM (PDT)

The Highlander is comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and rides as well as my Cadillac.

Lean, Mean, Green Machine!
By groovology on 07/27/06 20:20 PM (PDT)

We purchased our Highlander Hybrid after buying a Prius last year. So far, we are impressed with the power, comfort, and ease of driving our Highlander, and more importantly, we enjoy an average of 30 MPG in combined City / Highway mileage using the same techniques we use to get about 50 MPG out of the Prius. All in all, we love Toyota's reliability and attention to detail. The biggest drawback is the rather mundane styling.

Toytoa Highlander Hybrid
By DrLarry on 07/26/06 21:14 PM (PDT)

I am very pleased with the way the Highlander Hybrid performs. It is a smooth ride, with the best of both worlds: comfort of a large vehicle with the gas mileage of a small car. The only problem I had was during the first two weeks of owning the car, the AWD-rear brakes failed, causing a loud grinding and rubbing noise and requiring a complicated two day repair at the dealership. This was fixed under the warranty. Overall, I would recommend the Highlander Hybrid to anyone who inquires.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.