2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
My favorite car I've ever had
By MN Mom on 11/17/06 20:03 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have two children (aged 4 and 6) and carpool often. We traded in the mini van and never looked back. Using the 3rd row for seating has been very easy, love how the 2nd row slides forward for access. The only thing I would change would be for the 3rd row to have the option of splitting in half. Other than that, a complete joy to drive.

I could ask for a whole lot more!
By Sad on 11/11/06 09:23 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fuel economy is 22-25% below sticker numbers. Has uncontrollable torque steer while under full throttle @15 mph. The cars pulls to the right then back to the left, dealer says "that's nature of the car". The motor thuds when it comes on and is anything but seamless. Lift gate squeaks, driver's side passenger door rattles. Vehicle has 3,000 miles on it. While driving with the windows down, the brakes will squeal and the motor whines noticeably also the wind buffeting is horrible. Suspension absorbs pot holes well. Vehicle is hard to control in turns and uncontrollable if accelerating hard in a turn. Captains chair arm rests and stereo are cheap. AC vents poor for 2nd row passengers.

Three months into a Highlander Hybrid
By Drew on 11/06/06 18:29 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I have 3 Toyotas; a Sienna, a convertible Solara and the Highlander. When we choose to drive a car we usually choose the Highlander; it is so cool to drive. Its technology is superb and leading edge. the battery helps drive the car if you are not accelerating, sometimes without the engine at all; you can idle forever and use NO gas; and you swoosh when you accelerate, since there is no gear shifting... something the salesman barely mentioned and seems to be a secret. And the intelligent 4 wheel drive is cool, you don't shift into it. If you need it, it goes into 4 wheel drive automatically. Probably no good for off road. We've had it for 3 months now and love everything about it.

Great choice for me
By Curt on 11/06/06 06:43 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my hybrid. It has the power of a 4 liter V-8, the economy of a smaller car, the reliability of Toyota and can move people and cargo comfortably. I am getting 27 mpg in combined driving. I like to feel the power so I am not always driving for economy. I have the base model and added a navigation system and rear back up camera manufactured by Eclipse. They make the navigation system that is in my Lexus. The HIHY has all of the saftey features that I want in a vehicle. I am enjoying it and will keep it for a long time.

Disappointing
By Anna on 11/04/06 20:41 PM (PST)

I was extremelly disappointed with the fuel economy. I got an average of 21 mpg - way below than expected. Granted I used the air conditioning all the time as I live in Fl but I did not push the car hard. A hybrid should have better fuel economy for its price tag.

Great Running
By Victoria Valencia on 10/28/06 12:05 PM (PDT)

The best vehicle I have ever driven. It has great pick-up. Very comfortable to drive. Taken on a few long trips handles great going over passes. Getting great gas mileage for an SUV. Holds 5 adults and 2 children. I think it is the best looking SUV on the road

A Step In The Right Direction
By jay kent on 10/25/06 12:06 PM (PDT)

This is my second Highlander in a row and my first Hybrid. I LOVE IT! Sure, it's not perfect, but kudos to Toyota for giving us an alternative to the gas guzzling SUV. Mileage at 10,000 km is apx. 28 hwy and 25 city (hilly). On the flats, mileage is closer to 30 mpg combined. So, it's not perfect yet, but already I calculate I've used over 600 litres (160 gallons) less than with my previous Highlander. The vehicle is a bit heavier and handling is not quite as sharp as the '01 but it's comfortable and the acceleration is fantastic. This vehicle gets you thinking the right way about fuel consumption. Highly recommended to those who care.

Poor Mileage
By Ronald Cotton on 10/24/06 13:42 PM (PDT)

This vehicle drives and handles very well. My anger is that I paid a premium of $6000.00 not for the car but for the mileage factor. I drive 15 miles each way to work on the highway and the highest mileage I have gotten has been 25.5 mpg. I have gotten as low as 22 mpg. I don't do much city driving with this vehicle. I check my gas mileage every time I fill up. I wrote a letter to Toyota 3 months ago and I haven't got any reply yet. I feel that if you're paying for the "mileage" you should get it. I don't know any else who has this vehicle so we could compare notes. I don't recommend anyone to buy this vehicle if they are looking for this mileage.

Best all purpose suv out there
By joe on 10/23/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

It tows, it goes fast, it is fun to drive, it is a lot more comfortable than our RAV4 on long trips. There are a lot of complaints about gas mileage, but I average 28 summer and 24 winter.

Great vehicle
By Swizzlestick on 10/09/06 17:59 PM (PDT)

This soft hybrid is a great drive with good fuel economy. I live in the Pocono mountains of northeastern PA and do both highway and suburban driving on secondary roads and average 27 mpgs during the summer and 23.5 mpgs in the winter (the gas engine needs to cycle on for the heater). My milage would be much improved however if I didn't live in the mountains (on a recent trip to Virginia I averaged over 30 mpgs on highway and secondary road travel). The build quality is excellent (of course, it is a Toyota!) but I was not impressed with the GY Integra tires. Upgade the tires to the Goodyear Fortera and you will have a premium luxury vehicle that gets great gas milage!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.