Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid FWD Limited
By Huraira

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got this SUV 2 months back, so far no issue at all, and what amazing comfort I got with this. Very roomy, fuel efficient, now I am getting 31MPG combine. I guess I can achieve 34mpg when only driving 40M/h. I started with 28 on my first 400miles.

Favorite Features

3rd seat, interior, design

Suggested Improvements

Maybe 4 cylinder option would have been good.

Perfect Solution for a greeny w/ 3 kids!
By Julia

We just had our 3rd child and this has been perfect for us! I was dreading getting a bigger vehicle but I've fallen in love with this car! Such a smooth ride and we can fit an infant car seat, a 7 year old in a booster seat and a 9 year old all in the second row, but if they want more room one of the older kids can sit in the 3rd row! With the third row up it's hard to fit other things in the back, but if we wanted more room we would have gotten a mini van! It's fun watching the gas mileage and I love when the engine shuts off because we've slowed down or stopped. Love how it charges the battery going down hill! I love the look of it. It would be nice if it was a little higher off the ground.

Favorite Features

Room, gas mileage is great for an SUV, so many safety features!!!

Suggested Improvements

Back up camera!!! A little higher off the ground for back roads, being able to off-road would be nice! Also it has the rear heat for 3rd row, but no rear A/C which would be nice on hot days.

Early adopter
By billwtx22

I bought the 2nd Hybrid Highlander available in the Houston area. Overall, I have enjoyed owning this car. It is fun to drive. The hybrid system acts like a turbo when I want to stomp on it, but gas mileage goes down to low 20s MPG. When I work at it, I can get low to mid 30s MPG. My hybrid inverter went out recently, but this has a long warranty (8 yr, 100K mi). However, the car had to be towed into the shop. The new HH has an electric vehicle mode that allows short distance driving on battery only, but I doubt if this works without the inverter. I test drove a 2008 model and it is more sluggish due to the added size/weight. I would buy the 2006 model again.

Favorite Features

0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. This pretty good for an SUV. Great mileage in bumper to bumper traffic which is the opposite of non-hybrid cars.

Suggested Improvements

A plug in version would be nice. There are after market kits for Prius, but I have not heard of anyone doing this with the highlander, yet. Also, not sure if Toyota would void the warranty if the hybrid system was modified.

I love this vehicle
By denise

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The SUV has a lot of power and gets good gas mileage, for this big of a vehicle

Suggested Improvements

The only things I don't like is the cupholder springs broke right away. Also, you have to make a very hard turn to shut off the blinker. Otherwise, I love this vehicle and would have another.

Great Vehicle
By rav171

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Highlander has over 33000 miles. To get the best mileage, the driver should make maximum use of the cruse control. That allows the computer to control the engine torque and continuous variable transmission (CVT). That way, the computer maximizes the gas efficiency while maintaining the speed that is set. I get 32 MPG driving 60 MPH on up and down highway roads in upstate New York. I couldn't be happier with the mileage.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

I would love to be able to remove the third row seat since we are retired and won't be adding any kids in the third row. Better yet, replace the third row seat with additional batteries and allow me to plug in and charge when the car is in the garage.