2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Disappointed with MPG
By MCD on 08/01/07 07:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am leasing a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. I'm in second year; took car for service for poor MPG, averaging 16.8 MPG city/highway for 800+ miles. I was told that it is what I should expect! At 26K I am averaging 21.4 MPG in city. The battery immediately reverts to gas. The service dept. said nothing could be done and that other Highlanders were getting similar MPG. This is not acceptable! The sticker indicates 31 miles city and 27 miles highway. I wrote to Toyota-their reply: MPG sticker quotes are generated under controlled testing conditions for EPA and so I should bring it in for servicing. Fuel efficiency is influenced by many variables: tire pressure, weather, fuel additives, etc.

Gas Mileage Claims False
By Mona Tanner on 07/20/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Hylander Hybrid is a great looking, great driving vehicle. The only problem I have with it, and it's a big one, is that I don't get the gas mileage claimed. Toyota claimed it would get 28 hwy and 31 city mpg. I drive it gently and average at most 26 mpg. I bought the car specifically for the gas mileage, so I can't justify the $4500 price difference.

Hybrid Rip Off
By Brian on 03/30/07 17:59 PM (PDT)

Bought the hybrid for the great mileage claims which turned out to be a complete lie. Vehicle gets 21-22 mpg from normal driving which in no way justtifies the price premium.

Coolest Car EVER!!
By Lisa on 02/15/07 14:37 PM (PST)

I'm from Denver and we've had tons of snow this winter. I have wrung my car thru the ringer to give it a good "test" and it has done every thing I've asked it to with ease and grace! In addition to the awesome AWD, the ride is smooth, the interior is comfy, and there's tons of horsepower. My low MPG was 22 (85 mph on I-70 in 100 degree heat) and my high was 29 (being a really good girl on the throttle). MPG drops substantially when it's very cold out. Best MPG seems to be city highways with heavy traffic. I wouldn't trade this car for anything else on the road - unless of course it was something real expensive so I could sell it and buy 2 Highlander Hybrids.

A technological marvel
By martin on 12/25/06 09:19 AM (PST)

I have had this car for a year now. It is an amazing SUV. The gas mileage is simply superb and is within the EPA figures. I am getting an average of 28.0 MPG - a great relief from my Expedition. I love everything about this car.

Fun and strong SUV
By pat on 12/16/06 11:23 AM (PST)

We have had the Highlander Hybrid since January and love it. While we all would like better mileage, especially at $2.50/gal., we are happy what with this vehicle delivers. If you pay attention, you can get over 32 mpg even on the highway. We typically get 29+ in the city during the summer. So far this winter I believe we are down to 26-27 avg. It's been cold. We are looking forward to many years of fun and transportation with this vehicle.

First 12000 miles
By Phil Wakeling on 12/14/06 19:52 PM (PST)

I traded a 1999 Subaru Impreza on the Highlander and get better mileage than the little 4 cylinder. Four cylinder economy and V8 power - great combination. My overall average fuel consumption for 10 months of mixed driving (mostly in Michigan) is 26 mpg. Best was 28 mpg for local driving - no freeways - and the worst was 23 mpg on 10% methanol in Iowa on I80 at 80 mph. This is a fun an comfortable car to drive - not as quiet as my wife's Avalon, but close. It is stable in the snow at freeway speeds and climbs snowy slopes with ease. I have driven in beach sand with no problems. The high torque at low speed works well in these circumstances, almost like a low range on a conventional 4wd.

Two thumbs up
By jay k. on 12/11/06 18:07 PM (PST)

I just can't say enough about this vehicle. The ride is comfortable, the gas consumption is low for the size of the vehicle and the amenities abound in the Limited version.

Over paid for hybrid
By steve smith on 11/26/06 09:16 AM (PST)

Should have kept my RX 330. We thought the mileage was going to be so much better but the joke was on us for paying $4500 more for the hybrid. If you drive the suv in the city for 100,000 miles you might make up the difference. Plus we did not get our tax credit because we leased. The value is going down because gas has leveled off. Can not wait till the lease is up.

100% satisfied!
By JBL on 11/26/06 06:50 AM (PST)

This is by far the BEST vehicle I have ever owned. So far, with 40K miles, the vehicle has performed flawlessly! The best mileage I have obtained so far was in the summer of 2006. I averaged 35.2 over 576 miles! So it can be done - the vehicle is capable of beating EPA estimates! Had I been more careful, the mpg would have been even higher. This was without extreme driving techniques, but using only gentle driving - no hard acceleration or braking and included several steep hills, up as well as down & mostly highway. This is not the norm though as the avg. is 28-30 warmer months and 25- 26 in colder months. Don't blame Toyota for Federal EPA mileage flaws. ALL vehicles are usually LOWER.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.