Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

2006 Highlander Hybrid
By Hollywood

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4 and have not looked back. This is an exceptional vehicle with room for 7. The Navigation is not totally accurate, but it is as good as any. The ride is great and the fit and finish is extraordinary. The battery operation is fun to watch and I find myself trying to use the battery as much as possible, especially in today's high price gas world. I recommend this vehicle to anyone except 4x4 extremist.

Favorite Features

Hybrid operation, fit and finish, smooth operation.

Suggested Improvements

None right now.

Tough Little Vehicle
By Tulip

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is one tough little vehicle. It got us to our destination thru Hurricane Rita with peace of mind (we are talking about 24+ hours driving time). That's with 6 animals and 2 kids and myself in tow. It's reliable, comfortable and efficient. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a rear air conditioning unit for the riders in the back seats and the cup-holders in the front are kind of lame. Other than that, I love it!

Favorite Features

All around reliable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Rear air-conditioning and better cup-holders in the front of the car.

Best Car Ever
By Paul Sagert

Great car, using 89 octane getting 33 mpg. Ride is smooth and very quiet. Radio/CD system is very good and easy to use. Traded a 2005 Ford Escape in for the Toyota as it was to small and had no power. Love the Highlander and would highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Interior and the acceleration. Very smooth ride and comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

None

So far so good
By Bonnie

Fun to drive, great pick up and is not as tippy as other SUVs. I can carry lots of kids and gear in a car that gets nearly 27 mpg (still not the epa 31 though) and I'm emitting less carbon. Liked how it has "smart" air bags for passenger side. For a limited edition, it lacks amenities: seat warmers have only one temp; cooling system has only one zone vs. driver/passenger dual temp zone; sun visors seem plasticy; lack of AC outlets in 2nd row; doors don't auto lock. Also, the third row is really meant for small kids. Although I am glad it doesn't scream enviro-weenie, wish there was more "green" signage on car to help lessen the stares from non-SUV drivers - perhaps a small window decal?

Favorite Features

mpg for SUV and low carbon emissions; 7 passenger seating; fold down 3rd row; ability to recline (slightly) the 2nd row

Suggested Improvements

Improve mpg; dual temp zones; more temp options in seat warmers; make 3rd row comfortable for small adults; make storage space in between the driver and passenger seats more usable; less boxy styling on exterior

Pleasure
By koy mack

As a previous chevy tahoe owner I dearly love our highlander hybrid, smaller, more fun to drive, play a game with gas mileage, it's very quick, no problems merging into interstate. A great vehicle for a 78 year old .

Favorite Features

Acceleration, engine sounds and at times no sounds.

Suggested Improvements

Protective mesh grill in front bumper lower opening.