2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews 18

2006 Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
ok
By Dave

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like the vehicle, so far, but I think the gas mileage is not what they advertised. Drives nice, handles fine, looks great, but we'll see on the gas consumption, still new

Favorite Features

Navigation system is awesome, alot of fun

Suggested Improvements

Right now, only had it for 3 weeks, no suggestions, other than I feel false representation on the Gas mileage

SUV Hybrid Experience
By JJ

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven over 3000 miles on our Hybrid Highlander and to date my overall experience with the car has been excellent. I do mostly highway driving and have been averaging around 27 mpg. The acceleration is great and recently on a long trip with the car fully loaded, got great gas mileage and the increased horsepower made for great interstate highway traveling. I had previously owned two volvo wagons (last one was 2000 cross country AWD) and the Highlander Hybrid leaves nothing to be desired compared to the volvo. All the same comforts and more. Never thought I would use the navigation system, but you realize how useful it can be once you use it(especially on vacations).

Favorite Features

Navigation system and different visual displays, increased horsepower and overall performance, higher driving seating profile, audio system, continous variable transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Cargo storage would be better if second row seats folded flat.

Outstanding vehicle
By pbjb

Took delivery of a Limited AWD Hybird edition on 7/20. Sold the 2003 Highlander LTD to a family member. New 2006 has even better ride qualities with the Michelin tires vs Bridgestone Duelers. The shift between electric power and gas is seamless.It takes a little getting used to when you stop at a traffic light and realize the engine did not stall. You hear virtually nothing. Have averaged 30MPG city driving. Although this is relatively new technology it's comforting to know that Toyota gives you an 8 yr 100,000 mile warranty on the hybird system. I would rate this vehicle, in the short period of ownership, one of the very best SUVs we've ever owned including Jeeps and a BMW X5.

Favorite Features

Ease of use of controls; seating comfort; 3rd row seating (even if only comfortable for children); the comprehensive list of standard features; full size spare; sound system; reclining rear seats; safety features; build quality and high Toyota reliability history.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the annoying "helicopter" wind noise when driving with the rear windows down. Make it easier to access the third row seat.

A great addition to the SUV market
By James Goren

The Highlander Hybrid is very fast has an incredible acceleration, the handling is very good for an suv. It is quiet and confortable. I'll welcome a few little luxury items in my Limited,like driver seat with memory, low pressure tires warning light, or run flat tires, etc., but over all I am entusiastic with my car.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy for an suv with such performance. Dashboard display

Suggested Improvements

GPS should be voice activated, should find locations by phone numbers and should be able to integrate a cell phone by bluetooth, or even better by inserting a sim card

Excellent so far
By John

My wife and I have had the FWD Limited Hybrid for one month. Gas mileage, as expected, has been less than the EPA. We average about 27 mpg combo city/highway. Ride is very good but you can feel the extra weight of the midsection battery compartment giving a slight truck like ride. We can't comment on reliability. It worries us that there is such a complicated transmission etc. but we are relying on the quality reputation of Toyota that this will be a long term excellent automobile.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, of course. We also like the excelleration. With the regular 6 cylinder engine, you don't feel like you are compromising on performance and the power is there if you need it. We also like the DVD navigation.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a telescoping steering wheel. For my wife, the wheel seems a little far away to accomodate her longer legs. Having a cassete player seems like a waste these days. A MP3 player hook up would be better. Otherwise nothing else.

Ten years ahead of my tahoe
By joe

the "most fun to drive vehicle" I have ever driven.the gps is a must,the screen displaying the drive/MPG is amazing.I really feel good about the milage i get after driving my other boats (tundra, sileverdo3500, and tahoe.I think it would run about a hi 15 second quarter mile too.I love it.I only wish that it came in a newer body style

Favorite Features

smooth cvt transmission

Suggested Improvements

A newer look

Highlander Hybrid
By skip1

It is a fun SUV to drive currently with 325 mile I get 30.3 mpg. The only bad feature is the small third row seat which would be ok for young children, but not for adults. The navagation system and other updates from the original Prius for monitoring the car are so much more advanced, Including a calendar for memos etc. It is a very comforable SUV

Favorite Features

NAVIGATION SYSTEM, THE DRIVE, THE 268HP

Suggested Improvements

MORE ROOM IN THE THIRD ROW

Great SUV...that I still call a car
By Craig

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have been researching this vehicle for over 1 year. I put my name on the waiting list to get the car in Aug. of 2004. It was worth the wait. This is a fantastic SUV. I drive it mainly in the city, I usually fill it back up with about 4 gal. left in the tank, and have been averaging about 360 miles on a tank. The tank is 17.2gal. I have a lot of stop and go traffic with some hi- way time as well. Have also been using the air-conditioner heavily as lately it has been in the mid- 90's here. I expect to get better gas mileage when the days start to cool. Will be putting it throught ultimate test when I drive it from Indpls,In. to Colrado Sprinds Co. I feel like I am 16 again!

Favorite Features

Duuuhhh ..gas mileage. Love the pure quiet of the vehicle...sometimes I think it has stalled when at stop light. Comfort is exceptional...espcially making standard what only would could normally with heftier dollars. (i.e power seat for driver etc)

Suggested Improvements

make space under shifter more usuable...it's a lot dead space that could be better used. Make it easier to know when moon roof is actually closed.

GREAT 4wd Limited HH
By mtshastabound

I just purchased this WONDERFUL car in OH (salesperson was Ernie Coon - who was wonderful!) and have just arrived home in California! Our cross-country drive was absolutely FLAWLESS! In hot, humid, windy, cool, raining conditions - MPG was 23-29 WITH A/C 95% of the time - 90% freeway traveling 70-82 MPH. Can't find a single thing wrong with the car ... not even a rattle or a squeak! Toyota has done a MARVELOUS job with the Highlander Hybrid 4wd Limited!

Favorite Features

Navigation system ... WONDERFUL!! Front-wheel drive THEN rear-wheel drive - makes it very stable on curves with FWD. Great A/C. HH performed flawlessly in 2600 cross-country trip.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a 110-115V AC outlet ... and the same keyless entry system as the Prius too. I was told it has Bluetooth - but I haven't found it yet - hope it is true, if not, why not? Remove 3rd row seat - its useless and more storage space is nice. More controls on the steering wheel - like '05 Priu

It's about time
By frank

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's about time someone has made a car that is safe economical and fun to drive. I remember seeing an article in magazine in the early seventies about a Chevy Vega conversion to electric/gas with a brake regenerative charging system. It seems American manufacturers have missed the boat again, and allowed foreign manufacturers to take the lead in technology we had been working on as early as the 70's. Be that as it may, Toyota has made another winner. As for my experience with the Hybrid, it does everything well, and the timing of It's introduction couldn't be more welcome. I find myself trying to get even more MPG out of it by utilizing the LCD display on the dashboard. It's fun too.

Favorite Features

The LCD display and GPS map.