Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Fuel Mule
By likestotrade

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like the vehicle. It has not lived up to the fuel economy 23 hwy and 25 city. If I keep the speedometer at 55 I can get 24 on the highway. I was expecting something closer to 28. Driving oldladiesque has yeilded me 25 in town. A let down for sure. I was hope to see numbers over 29. Otherwise this car is great. Lots of power when you need it. This is roomy vehicle, looks to be a very safe, and rides likes a camry. The ride is quiet. If you want an SUV that gets the gas mileage of your average car this is it. Toyota quality makes this a no brainer when looking at the competition.

Power, interior room, sound system

Vehicle doesn't live up to fuel estimates. Make a four cyl. version for the people who really want the cas savings.

Highlander Hybrid
By Jeff & Kathy Miller

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I traded in our Sequoia because we were impressed with information Toyota put out about the Highlander Hybrid. Toyota advertised the Hybrid as getting 33mpg city and 28mpg highway (much better than our Sequoia). We have owned this car for 4+months and are getting nowhere near what Toyota has advertised. We are dissatisfied with the gas mileage and the fact that there are no air vents in the back. Therefore when our kids sit in the back seats on a hot day, they nearly suffocate. We are very dissatisfied with our purchase and hold the Toyota Company completely at fault for false advertisement. We own 3 Toyota vehicles and have been very happy up until this purchase.

Handles well. Drives easy and smooth. Has plenty of power.

Air vents in the back!

a very good comprise
By Gene

You will find the ride a bit stiff and if you are a six footer you will have a reach for the steering wheel (if you sit with even pressure on the bottoms of the legs). Good vision all around, fit and finish is very good, mileage has been at 27 per with all types of driving. Tranny is as smooth as it gets; combine batt/engine gives more than ample power. Be sure to shop and compare.

Quite ride, fit and finish, combo of gas engine/electric power, has navigator and has all the features you need.

Need telescoping steering wheel, need storage space in rear, Place information center controls on steering wheel (mileage/lapse time etc) need to reach thru the steering wheel to push buttons to change info (not a safe idea while driving).

Terrific Vehicle
By Jane Faul

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owning this vehicle has brought me nothing but joy each time I have an excuse to drive it. It has plenty of power, surges with quick pick-up when needed, and is incredibly comfortable, smooth, and quiet. It has a perky appearance outside, thanks to its rear spoiler, and with its squared-off rear design, it provides more vertical interior hauling capacity than those vehicles with more slope. The rear spoiler seems to be a valuable feature, not only for appearance, but also for keeping the rear window clean while driving in traffic and rain. It handles easily and responds beautifully. It has plenty of room inside for four hefty adults in complete comfort.

The height is perfect for me, as I am tall. (No more scrunching and folding to get into a sedan!) Its interior has plenty of bells and whistles to provide the luxuries I am enjoying.

Be more realistic about mileage estimates. Mine has sticker rating of 33 city and 28 highway. I haven't had it out on an extended interstate drive yet, but its overall mileage to date (after four months of ownership) is 25.2 mpg, which is really more than adequate, though not what was touted.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid
By mwalsh65

I love my Highlander Hybrid. I used to drive a Saab 9-3, which I also loved. I got an avg of 21 mpg with the Saab. Because I have a 2 year-old and am facing preschool and carpool, I wanted to get a bigger vehicle, but did not want to get less mpg. Unfortunately, most mid-sized SUVs got 20 mpg or lower. Then the Highlander Hybrid was introduced and I jumped at it. Now, I get an average of 26 mpg (better than my sedan)and I have much more room (including a third row seat that folds into the floor). The vehicle drives very well and is very comfortable. I love this vehicle and I highly recommend it as a non gas-guzzling family car.

Smooth ride, good gas mileage, lots of space.

Speed is not that important to me. The Highlander hybrid comes only in a 6 cylinder. I'd like to see a 4 cylinder (less speed, better gas mileage).