2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
It's my bliss
By idaten on 09/21/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

29 mpg for the first 700 miles, which exceeds my expectations, especially during break-in.

Economy Disappointment
By Joey Picard on 09/19/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota makes a great product. However, after a couple of weeks of ownership I am disappointed with the fuel economy. I find myself trying to improve the mileage by driving much slower and watching the consumption screen. However I would have to be traveling down Mt. Everest both ways to increase the mileage over 25 mpg. Living in the South Louisiana I have even gone without AC to see if I can get even close to the estimated 31 mpg.

My first Hybrid
By Terry H on 09/16/05 18:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my first toyota and hybrid Sept. 6th. I love it. It's fun to drive. I have put about 1000 miles on it and only put about $40.00 of gas. My son loves the moonroof. We like looking at the stars at night. You just have to get use to feeling the jerking when the gas engine stops and electric engine picks up. Also when you use your brakes you feel and hear them. I do also hear more road noise than I'm use to but it is still a great SUV.

20 Mpg City is unacceptable.
By wmacgavin on 09/15/05 17:16 PM (PDT)

Beautiful Inside and Out. Fun to drive, great ride. Excellent interior and exterior design. The 20mpg in the city for my typical soccer mom wife is unacceptable. Let see if the fabled Toyota Engineering department can figure out what the problem is? I assume that unless a Factory Toyota Engineer gets involved it will be 3 trips and out for this beautiful lemon.

Hybrid Highlander
By mechman2020 on 09/13/05 16:21 PM (PDT)

Very sweet drive. Serious guts, and 30mpg... although not at the same time. Drove to Vegas and back at 85mph and averaged 25mpg. Regular freeway driving 30mpg... If you do lots of short trips you are looking at 27mpg.

Great Mileage! Great Quality!
By BT on 09/12/05 22:17 PM (PDT)

There are many reviews of the Highlander Hybrid out there by the professional automotive writers. They seem to vary widely, depending on the reviewer. My real-world experience is an average of about 30MPG in city and highway driving. When I tried to baby the car, I've gotten as much as 38MPG in moderate traffic. The car is well built, parts fit neatly and securely, and road noise is very low. The moonroof, when fully open, makes a horrible pulsing sound, but closing it halfway eliminates this. This has been the only negative I've found with the car.

Lives up to expectations
By jim on 09/11/05 13:10 PM (PDT)

The best car that we have ever had. It has been fun to drive. Great acceleration at all speeds. Mileage has been steadily going up. The air conditioning greatly reduces mileage. We are now getting about 29mpg around town with air off. We are averaging about 27 overall. The highlander is a great road car (great acceleration, quiet and comfortable). Excellent controls and navigation with mileage screen is great. It teaches you how to get better mileage. Electric air conditioner is very powerful and cools the car down quickly.

Poor gas mileage
By Dave Trupp on 09/09/05 15:06 PM (PDT)

I was told to expect high MPG in this hybrid. I can't get over 19 in city or highway. Toyota (corporate) states this is normal. You don't buy a hybrid for better gas mileage. You buy one for the fact that is has fewer emissions. It might get better after 5000 miles. Save your money buy a regular old gas powered highlander. We owned a 2003 highlander before and got better MPG with it. we averaged 25-26 in that one. Toyota says it can't do anything unless a check light comes on. They do admit that 19 is too low for this vehicle. The only thing they say though is "Sorry"

I love my car!
By melinda on 09/08/05 15:31 PM (PDT)

Words cannot express how wonderful I think this car is. The ride is smooth (no jerking from the motor shifting)and I am getting 30+ mpg. After driving the Volvo XC70 the past 5 years the Highlander feels like I am sitting in my living room (very spacious) and the 3rd row seat comes in very handy. It is a bit cramped but adults can fit in the seat for short distances if the middle seat is scooted forward. I am very satisfied with my purchase of this car and love every minute that I drive it.

Best car I ever had
By Bill on 09/08/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

I own a Mercedes, a BMW 525i, and now the Hybrid Highlander, and the latter car just may be the best car I ever owned. This car is so quiet, even with the engine running, unless you have the engine monitor up you can't tell when the engine is running. Completely silent all the time. But best thing is acceleration-- better than the gas model. Torque not a problem, the traction motors on AWD model wind up as quickly as the battery/engine allow them to, quicker than an engine alone. No rattles, no defects, the navigation system is fantastic. I am still terrificly excited about this car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.