Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Inverter Problems
By drew1961

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has very expensive inverter problems. Cost to repair Hybrid inverter system as of June 21, 2011 $9325.00 + Tax Toyota does not fix this and have a class action suit against them at this time. If you are going green this green will be coming out of your billfold. The 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Vehicle (Highlander HV) was Toyota’s first generation of gasoline-electric hybrid versions of the Highlander sold in the U.S. A central component of the Highlander HV is the electrical inverter assembly, which changes the DC current from the vehicles battery into AC current that powers the vehicle’s motor. The defective inverter assemblies cause the vehicles to suddenly lose engine power while the vehicles is being driven.

Favorite Features

Looks, Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Fix inverter problems. Will shut down in the middle of the interstate.

2006 with 92000 miles
By topwilson

Bought the car with 89000 miles on it, and was wary about the battery life, but it charges up fine and runs great. You need to be careful about your focus when driving, staring at fuel economy display is riveting! The limited is equiped nicely, and the interior is layed out well. Irritating the passenger cant use the maps feature while driving. Storage is a problem relative to the seating if you are on a long trip. Took the wife and four kids to DC over Christmas, and had to invest in a car top carrier. All things considered, trip went well, and averaged aroune 23 even with the car carrier messing with aerodynamics. I would buy this car again, fun to pass up all the gas stations!!

Best car I ever owned
By ValueLover

I bought one of the very first HH's. In LA on 7/3/05. Five years later it runs and looks almost like new. 95% of my driving is surface streets in LA. I get about 24-26 mpg with a/c (always on). The mileage when I got it was 28-30 mpg, so some degradation, but no other SUV of equal size and power even comes close. I have never had a serious problem. No breakdowns. After 57,000 mi. still haven't had a brake job! Extremely comfortable w/o needing the extras of the Lexus RX400h. The build quality is amazing. Only problem I have had is a popping noise from the driver seat when reclining it. Quality is better than the '91 and '96 LS400's that I owned previously.

Favorite Features

Engine off when stopped: quiet, saves money, non-polluting.

Suggested Improvements

1. A/C should have had vents in second row. 2. Stop electronic control from attempting to keep car going straight when you want to turn 3. Low whine from motor

Great vehicle
By Todd F

I bought this vehicle used and it looks and runs like it's brand new. Averaging 29 mpg on the highway using the air- conditioning. Around town with no air, I have achieved 34 mpg. Drove from D.C. to Philly the other night, no air, averaged 32 mpg at 70 mph. Replaced my Ford Expedition that used to average 13 mpg, and I love this car! Next I am going to replace by Ford Edge with a Prius.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, looks, reliability, 7 passenger seating when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat tight for adults, but at least it's there when you need it. Everything else is great.

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid FWD Limited
By Huraira

Got this SUV 2 months back, so far no issue at all, and what amazing comfort I got with this. Very roomy, fuel efficient, now I am getting 31MPG combine. I guess I can achieve 34mpg when only driving 40M/h. I started with 28 on my first 400miles.

Favorite Features

3rd seat, interior, design

Suggested Improvements

Maybe 4 cylinder option would have been good.