2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Inverter Problems
By drew1961 on 06/22/11 02:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has very expensive inverter problems. Cost to repair Hybrid inverter system as of June 21, 2011 $9325.00 + Tax Toyota does not fix this and have a class action suit against them at this time. If you are going green this green will be coming out of your billfold. The 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Vehicle (Highlander HV) was Toyota’s first generation of gasoline-electric hybrid versions of the Highlander sold in the U.S. A central component of the Highlander HV is the electrical inverter assembly, which changes the DC current from the vehicles battery into AC current that powers the vehicle’s motor. The defective inverter assemblies cause the vehicles to suddenly lose engine power while the vehicles is being driven.

2006 with 92000 miles
By topwilson on 01/02/11 04:30 AM (PST)

Bought the car with 89000 miles on it, and was wary about the battery life, but it charges up fine and runs great. You need to be careful about your focus when driving, staring at fuel economy display is riveting! The limited is equiped nicely, and the interior is layed out well. Irritating the passenger cant use the maps feature while driving. Storage is a problem relative to the seating if you are on a long trip. Took the wife and four kids to DC over Christmas, and had to invest in a car top carrier. All things considered, trip went well, and averaged aroune 23 even with the car carrier messing with aerodynamics. I would buy this car again, fun to pass up all the gas stations!!

Best car I ever owned
By ValueLover on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought one of the very first HH's. In LA on 7/3/05. Five years later it runs and looks almost like new. 95% of my driving is surface streets in LA. I get about 24-26 mpg with a/c (always on). The mileage when I got it was 28-30 mpg, so some degradation, but no other SUV of equal size and power even comes close. I have never had a serious problem. No breakdowns. After 57,000 mi. still haven't had a brake job! Extremely comfortable w/o needing the extras of the Lexus RX400h. The build quality is amazing. Only problem I have had is a popping noise from the driver seat when reclining it. Quality is better than the '91 and '96 LS400's that I owned previously.

Great vehicle
By Todd F on 07/16/10 08:42 AM (PDT)

I bought this vehicle used and it looks and runs like it's brand new. Averaging 29 mpg on the highway using the air- conditioning. Around town with no air, I have achieved 34 mpg. Drove from D.C. to Philly the other night, no air, averaged 32 mpg at 70 mph. Replaced my Ford Expedition that used to average 13 mpg, and I love this car! Next I am going to replace by Ford Edge with a Prius.

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid FWD Limited
By Huraira on 09/12/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

Got this SUV 2 months back, so far no issue at all, and what amazing comfort I got with this. Very roomy, fuel efficient, now I am getting 31MPG combine. I guess I can achieve 34mpg when only driving 40M/h. I started with 28 on my first 400miles.

Perfect Solution for a greeny w/ 3 kids!
By Julia on 07/07/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

We just had our 3rd child and this has been perfect for us! I was dreading getting a bigger vehicle but I've fallen in love with this car! Such a smooth ride and we can fit an infant car seat, a 7 year old in a booster seat and a 9 year old all in the second row, but if they want more room one of the older kids can sit in the 3rd row! With the third row up it's hard to fit other things in the back, but if we wanted more room we would have gotten a mini van! It's fun watching the gas mileage and I love when the engine shuts off because we've slowed down or stopped. Love how it charges the battery going down hill! I love the look of it. It would be nice if it was a little higher off the ground.

Early adopter
By billwtx22 on 09/03/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

I bought the 2nd Hybrid Highlander available in the Houston area. Overall, I have enjoyed owning this car. It is fun to drive. The hybrid system acts like a turbo when I want to stomp on it, but gas mileage goes down to low 20s MPG. When I work at it, I can get low to mid 30s MPG. My hybrid inverter went out recently, but this has a long warranty (8 yr, 100K mi). However, the car had to be towed into the shop. The new HH has an electric vehicle mode that allows short distance driving on battery only, but I doubt if this works without the inverter. I test drove a 2008 model and it is more sluggish due to the added size/weight. I would buy the 2006 model again.

Going Green Is So Much Fun!
By dvs8866 on 04/28/08 04:56 AM (PDT)

I've only had my hybrid for a week, so maybe it's a little early to write a review, but I couldn't wait another week. I've test driven several and was pleasantly surprised that they do have more giddy-up than I originally thought. This car beats my Jeep Liberty by miles in every aspect. There's more room for my two boys to spread out, the gas mileage is almost double (I'm in sales and this was the main reason for my turning green), the third row seat is a bonus for baseball season, and it's just a head turner.

Gas Mileage Claims False
By Mona Tanner on 07/20/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

The Hylander Hybrid is a great looking, great driving vehicle. The only problem I have with it, and it's a big one, is that I don't get the gas mileage claimed. Toyota claimed it would get 28 hwy and 31 city mpg. I drive it gently and average at most 26 mpg. I bought the car specifically for the gas mileage, so I can't justify the $4500 price difference.

Fun and strong SUV
By pat on 12/16/06 11:23 AM (PST)

We have had the Highlander Hybrid since January and love it. While we all would like better mileage, especially at $2.50/gal., we are happy what with this vehicle delivers. If you pay attention, you can get over 32 mpg even on the highway. We typically get 29+ in the city during the summer. So far this winter I believe we are down to 26-27 avg. It's been cold. We are looking forward to many years of fun and transportation with this vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.