2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Love the Car, not the mpg
By tthelin on 12/13/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1) We don't get the fuel economy we had hoped. We do a lot of driving on rural roads and highways, so speeds or 45 to 80 are the normal range, and we average about 25.5 mpg long term. Even on the rare occasions when we use an entire tank of fuel while driving in the city at 35 mph or less we only get around 28 mpg or so. 2) We installed a trailer hitch, which was easy to do and cost less than $250. Around $150 for the hitch online, and $75 or so for the wiring jumper from Toyota. The Highlander Hybrid pulls a 3500 lb mgw trailer very well, even when fully loaded, but the fuel economy drops to around 15 mpg with the trailer. 3) We purchased an special treatment for the cloth seats, since we have kids, and it doesn't seem to have helped at all. The seats stain pretty easily, and we are to far from the dealer to bring it in for cleaning or to use the warranty we purchased. I wouldn't recommend it. We still like the cloth seats better than the leather seats, but we should have used the $500 buck or whatever we spent on the treatment to buy good seat covers. 4) We also purchased the Diamon Glass treatment. It didn't keep us from getting rock chips, although we did use the warranty to repair a couple of them. We have learned that most full coverage insurance will cover windshield repair anyway, so we could have saved the money on that treatment also. It also doesn't keep the water off any better than a good Rain-X treatment. 5) We were mystified by one electrical problem a year or so ago in which we started to experience a delay in the starting of the Hybrid System when you turned the key to start. At the same time we noticed we could not leave a door open, or a light on in the car for more than a few minutes with the car turned off, or the battery would die and the car wouldn't start. We lived with this for about a year, just being careful to not allow the battery to drain, and occaisionally having to use a jump battery(which I always carry for emergencies) to start it. The I finally decided to test the car battery, and found it going bad so we replaced it. the Hybrid is back to working like new now.

Disappointed
By ajscott on 10/14/11 18:50 PM (PDT)

This car wasn't great. It is one of the first hybrid models out there and we bought this car new and it has about 50K on it now. We've had some pricey problems with it though. At times it won't start and have had many recalls on it for steering! And if you spill even a little bit of water you'll short out all the electronics in the car!!!! That was over $7500!!!! The car does drive pretty nice and does have a lot of power though. And I was in an accident in it and the engine did shift but luckily not onto us. I personally don't think it was that safe. The car is okay but not worth the money.

Inverter Problems
By drew1961 on 06/22/11 02:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has very expensive inverter problems. Cost to repair Hybrid inverter system as of June 21, 2011 $9325.00 + Tax Toyota does not fix this and have a class action suit against them at this time. If you are going green this green will be coming out of your billfold. The 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Vehicle (Highlander HV) was Toyota’s first generation of gasoline-electric hybrid versions of the Highlander sold in the U.S. A central component of the Highlander HV is the electrical inverter assembly, which changes the DC current from the vehicles battery into AC current that powers the vehicle’s motor. The defective inverter assemblies cause the vehicles to suddenly lose engine power while the vehicles is being driven.

Heck of a First Car -- Will Post 1yr Review as Well
By sovereign on 05/31/11 08:22 AM (PDT)

As the title suggests, this is my first car. Purchased at 43k miles from a dealer. Having driven only my parents' cars until now, those being minivans (Odyssey, Villager) and sedans (Impala), a small SUV is certainly different. That "hybrid" and "luxury features" are not mutually-exclusive (nor do they require a premium nameplate) is a good thing. The "hybrid premium" also shrinks to almost nothing (by Edmunds estimates for similarly-equipped vehicles quoted at dealer retail). 2006 Limited 4x4 loaded minus DVD: $20,923. 2006 Limited 4x4 Hybrid loaded minus DVD: $21,445. That's $523, so one would need to save 125 gallons of gas in mileage vs. nonhybrid. Such savings is easy.

2006 with 92000 miles
By topwilson on 01/02/11 04:30 AM (PST)

Bought the car with 89000 miles on it, and was wary about the battery life, but it charges up fine and runs great. You need to be careful about your focus when driving, staring at fuel economy display is riveting! The limited is equiped nicely, and the interior is layed out well. Irritating the passenger cant use the maps feature while driving. Storage is a problem relative to the seating if you are on a long trip. Took the wife and four kids to DC over Christmas, and had to invest in a car top carrier. All things considered, trip went well, and averaged aroune 23 even with the car carrier messing with aerodynamics. I would buy this car again, fun to pass up all the gas stations!!

Hybrid system breakdown!
By keepwarmnow on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great experience until 100,000 miles. All check ups done at dealership.100,000 miles warranty expires soon after car won't start.I bought a Toyota because they are meant to last.Took car to dealership and they announced it would be 8700 dollars to fix. The hybrid system does not work! CODES POAA6&526-614 and Warrantied only to 100,000 miles. I am at 119,000. I was told the labor on the part is minimal it is the part that is so expensive. I was shocked and then looked on the internet to find that others have found themselves in the same position.When I went to pick up the car at Toyota they charged me $250.00 for the diagnostic test and tried to sell me another Toyota. HA!!

Almost got killed in my hybrid
By myraferr on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

These hybrid are in the baby stages, there are a lot of serious problems with the hybrid system components, these vehicles are death traps, they can stall on you and shut down without any warning doing 70 mph, no power, no steering, no brakes almost got killed by a semi on the freeway. I'm talking to a lawyer, it's happening to others in other states, they are very expensive to fix, 14,000 dollars that's what my dealer wants to fix, they are nuts a four year old car, needing such expensive repairs, my last hybrid, or Toyota, and yes they say they are warrantied, but a warranty is only good if they will fix it and Toyota won't.

Best car I ever owned
By ValueLover on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought one of the very first HH's. In LA on 7/3/05. Five years later it runs and looks almost like new. 95% of my driving is surface streets in LA. I get about 24-26 mpg with a/c (always on). The mileage when I got it was 28-30 mpg, so some degradation, but no other SUV of equal size and power even comes close. I have never had a serious problem. No breakdowns. After 57,000 mi. still haven't had a brake job! Extremely comfortable w/o needing the extras of the Lexus RX400h. The build quality is amazing. Only problem I have had is a popping noise from the driver seat when reclining it. Quality is better than the '91 and '96 LS400's that I owned previously.

Great vehicle
By Todd F on 07/16/10 08:42 AM (PDT)

I bought this vehicle used and it looks and runs like it's brand new. Averaging 29 mpg on the highway using the air- conditioning. Around town with no air, I have achieved 34 mpg. Drove from D.C. to Philly the other night, no air, averaged 32 mpg at 70 mph. Replaced my Ford Expedition that used to average 13 mpg, and I love this car! Next I am going to replace by Ford Edge with a Prius.

Not thrilled
By Dan on 06/09/10 13:03 PM (PDT)

I bought the car used with 34k on it. The mpg is not good. I get 24 to 26 and I drive very conservatively. The performance otherwise is good. It is comfortable compared to my recent CR-V, but the mpg of the CR-V was better. I drive to South Carolina regularly from PA and the mileage leaves much to be desired even at a 65 speed. Looking for something better.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.