2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Almost got killed in my hybrid
By myraferr on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

These hybrid are in the baby stages, there are a lot of serious problems with the hybrid system components, these vehicles are death traps, they can stall on you and shut down without any warning doing 70 mph, no power, no steering, no brakes almost got killed by a semi on the freeway. I'm talking to a lawyer, it's happening to others in other states, they are very expensive to fix, 14,000 dollars that's what my dealer wants to fix, they are nuts a four year old car, needing such expensive repairs, my last hybrid, or Toyota, and yes they say they are warrantied, but a warranty is only good if they will fix it and Toyota won't.

Sherman tank that gets great gas mileage
By Adam K on 05/10/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prior to buying this vehicle, I owned a 2002 Honda CR-V and thought that it was the best car ever built. Then I bought my Highlander Hybrid with 26K miles and the it is more rugged and gets better mileage than the smaller Honda. This 06 Highlander Hybrid has it all: Good Looks. Great interior space. Smooth ride with a CVT transmission. Good gas mileage for a powerful SUV I get about 26 MPG overall. While this is less than advertised, it is still very good for a car with 268 HP that is built like a Sherman Tank. I typically keep a car for 200K plus miles and I am confident that this will go way beyond this milestone with basic maintenance.

Great SUV
By Sunny FL on 03/04/10 16:52 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love my 06 Highlander Hybrid. Bought in 08 with 93k miles for $16K. Now have 125K and all is GREAT. NO problems, no issues great gas mileage 29 mpg around town. When and if the hybrid battery goes out it will be no brainer to purchase a replacement.

I love this vehicle
By denise on 07/06/08 13:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The SUV has a lot of power and gets good gas mileage, for this big of a vehicle

Buy a Honda
By The Judge on 08/06/07 19:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Serious and dangerous uncontrolable torque steer. Poof fuel economy, pathetic tiny front seats with uncomfortable arm rests combine for a truely sad ride. Lots of rattles and squeaks. The car has an almost rubberband motion to it. I will never buy another toyota. Toyota flat out lied, told me you don't need the 4wd and as it turns out it is the only thing that helps control the uncontrollable pull to the right in the 2wd version. That is why the 2008 hybrids will only be offered in this layout. Never again with this POOR company. The gas motor thumps when it kicks in, got much worse after the first 100 miles. Deceptive regarding their claim of a "seamless transion" between gas and electric.

I could ask for a whole lot more!
By Sad on 11/11/06 09:23 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fuel economy is 22-25% below sticker numbers. Has uncontrollable torque steer while under full throttle @15 mph. The cars pulls to the right then back to the left, dealer says "that's nature of the car". The motor thuds when it comes on and is anything but seamless. Lift gate squeaks, driver's side passenger door rattles. Vehicle has 3,000 miles on it. While driving with the windows down, the brakes will squeal and the motor whines noticeably also the wind buffeting is horrible. Suspension absorbs pot holes well. Vehicle is hard to control in turns and uncontrollable if accelerating hard in a turn. Captains chair arm rests and stereo are cheap. AC vents poor for 2nd row passengers.

Love it
By Horatio on 08/24/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

No complaints at all. Joy to drive, love the feel and smooth transition from elect to gas. One must listen to realize the gas motor is running.

Bad fuel economy
By jfrose on 08/19/06 16:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased a hybrid for the fuel economy and it does not get nearly what is advertised. We get 25 miles per gallon vs the 28-33 they advertise. We paid extra for the hybrid for nothing and Toyota won't buy the vehicle back.

Miles per gallon
By jim on 08/13/06 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The highlander hybrid I purchased has a mileage rating of 28 highway and 32 city. This would make me assume the mileage would not average less than 30 per gallon. I have been trying my hardest to "work" the battery for better mileage, although the best I can average with this vehicle in any condition is 27.5.

our first new toyota
By ed gavin on 05/03/06 13:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

we are very satisfied with our purchase.this is our first toyota .we have allways had fords .we heard this would be good on gas mileage and so far it has been .i do miss my key code on the entry side .the driving is great ,it handles steady and rides quiet & the pick has a quick response ... thanks toyota ..

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.