Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Most Helpful|
Love the Car, not the mpg
By tthelin

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1) We don't get the fuel economy we had hoped. We do a lot of driving on rural roads and highways, so speeds or 45 to 80 are the normal range, and we average about 25.5 mpg long term. Even on the rare occasions when we use an entire tank of fuel while driving in the city at 35 mph or less we only get around 28 mpg or so. 2) We installed a trailer hitch, which was easy to do and cost less than $250. Around $150 for the hitch online, and $75 or so for the wiring jumper from Toyota. The Highlander Hybrid pulls a 3500 lb mgw trailer very well, even when fully loaded, but the fuel economy drops to around 15 mpg with the trailer. 3) We purchased an special treatment for the cloth seats, since we have kids, and it doesn't seem to have helped at all. The seats stain pretty easily, and we are to far from the dealer to bring it in for cleaning or to use the warranty we purchased. I wouldn't recommend it. We still like the cloth seats better than the leather seats, but we should have used the $500 buck or whatever we spent on the treatment to buy good seat covers. 4) We also purchased the Diamon Glass treatment. It didn't keep us from getting rock chips, although we did use the warranty to repair a couple of them. We have learned that most full coverage insurance will cover windshield repair anyway, so we could have saved the money on that treatment also. It also doesn't keep the water off any better than a good Rain-X treatment. 5) We were mystified by one electrical problem a year or so ago in which we started to experience a delay in the starting of the Hybrid System when you turned the key to start. At the same time we noticed we could not leave a door open, or a light on in the car for more than a few minutes with the car turned off, or the battery would die and the car wouldn't start. We lived with this for about a year, just being careful to not allow the battery to drain, and occaisionally having to use a jump battery(which I always carry for emergencies) to start it. The I finally decided to test the car battery, and found it going bad so we replaced it. the Hybrid is back to working like new now.

Favorite Features

outside air temperature readout

Suggested Improvements

Miles until empty readout

Hybrid system breakdown!
By keepwarmnow

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great experience until 100,000 miles. All check ups done at dealership.100,000 miles warranty expires soon after car won't start.I bought a Toyota because they are meant to last.Took car to dealership and they announced it would be 8700 dollars to fix. The hybrid system does not work! CODES POAA6&526-614 and Warrantied only to 100,000 miles. I am at 119,000. I was told the labor on the part is minimal it is the part that is so expensive. I was shocked and then looked on the internet to find that others have found themselves in the same position.When I went to pick up the car at Toyota they charged me $250.00 for the diagnostic test and tried to sell me another Toyota. HA!!

Favorite Features

When car worked the pleasure of having a hybrid and being deluded into thinking I was part of the environmental solution rather than the problem.

Suggested Improvements

Warranty the hybrid system for at least 150,000 miles

Buy a Honda
By The Judge

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Serious and dangerous uncontrolable torque steer. Poof fuel economy, pathetic tiny front seats with uncomfortable arm rests combine for a truely sad ride. Lots of rattles and squeaks. The car has an almost rubberband motion to it. I will never buy another toyota. Toyota flat out lied, told me you don't need the 4wd and as it turns out it is the only thing that helps control the uncontrollable pull to the right in the 2wd version. That is why the 2008 hybrids will only be offered in this layout. Never again with this POOR company. The gas motor thumps when it kicks in, got much worse after the first 100 miles. Deceptive regarding their claim of a "seamless transion" between gas and electric.

Favorite Features

CVT, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Larger front seats, a center console with arm rest, fuel economy that meets their sticker claims, modern radio, instrumentation needs to be updated. Get rid of the 3rd row of seats made for a midget, improve build quality, lots of squeaks and rattles. What a piece of junk for 35K!

Disappointing
By Anna

I was extremelly disappointed with the fuel economy. I got an average of 21 mpg - way below than expected. Granted I used the air conditioning all the time as I live in Fl but I did not push the car hard. A hybrid should have better fuel economy for its price tag.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy and better grade of interior.

I could ask for a whole lot more!
By Sad

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fuel economy is 22-25% below sticker numbers. Has uncontrollable torque steer while under full throttle @15 mph. The cars pulls to the right then back to the left, dealer says "that's nature of the car". The motor thuds when it comes on and is anything but seamless. Lift gate squeaks, driver's side passenger door rattles. Vehicle has 3,000 miles on it. While driving with the windows down, the brakes will squeal and the motor whines noticeably also the wind buffeting is horrible. Suspension absorbs pot holes well. Vehicle is hard to control in turns and uncontrollable if accelerating hard in a turn. Captains chair arm rests and stereo are cheap. AC vents poor for 2nd row passengers.

Favorite Features

How the vehicle handles bumps in the road. The idea of "Hybrid", but the reality is far from the ideal.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the torque oversteer safety problem. Improve center console/ arm rests for front passengers. Add AC vents for 2nd row passengers. Improve suspension. Improve gas milage or stop building the "Great Deception". More accurate computer for AVG MPG read out. Mine is always 7-10% above a actual.