2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

silly rice burner! what?
By dakomaha

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 36, I served in the military for 12 yrs. rough, tough and rugged reliable rigs at work, and jeep wranglers at home. I've never even considered anything else. purchase a wrangler, smittybilt bumpers, black rims, and rugged mud tires for the snow, mud ect........... now, over a decade later 100% IU disabled vet with a bad back and no leg from my left knee down, I was devestated. no clutch lol.... so, i decided to open my options. in the entire car/suv/and 4x4 line up I was about to throw my hands up. then I saw a FJ extremely attractive from the outside. I don't want to say "boxy" but it wasn't all aero dynamic- It looked like a SUV built for a man. Then I saw the inside. WOW!

Favorite Features

Even though the tires are based for offroading, mud terrain, the ride is extremely comfortable on my back. the review says not alot of visibility. false. there is plenty. and mirrors. not alot of large windows which is great because who wants the sun beating down on them? certainly not I. It retains the A/C and heat, where the Jeeps did not. no carpet, so clean ups are super easy. tons of space with tie down cargo "D" rings. very attractive driver and passenger areas/ display panels and control panels. I used to tease folks for not buying "American" let me tell ya, the FJ is the top of the line, luxury of 4x4's, and you don't have to up grade anything. like other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

N/A.

YOU'LL EITHER LOVE THEM OR HATE THEM!!
By hunting45

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted one since "07" and finally have a 2012 4x4 automatic. If you're one that likes to look out the side of your auto to see what's beside you forget it in this ride, I've always used my mirrors so it doesn't bother me. If you have hair on your head and like to ride with your window down you better carry a cap for when you get out cause your hair well be parted right above your ear. There will be no equalizing the wind blow by trying to equalize with the other window nor with side window visors. When stopping at some stop lights you'll need to get use to looking up from the steering wheel. I do truely love mine, the gas mpg is great even pulling my 21' bass boat. Love'm or hate'm.

Favorite Features

I'm a 6' 230lb guy and very comfortable when driving my FJ. It's very responsive and the options are great. The towing of my 21' Bass boat with a 225 outboard is unbelievable, you don't know it's in tow. The mpg is a-ok, depending where I've bought fuel I have gotten as high as 18.9 in town and pulling my boat to the low of 15.9 driving the same, keep track of where you buy gas. Bottom line it's a Toyota FJ 4x4 what more needs said.

Suggested Improvements

Where the roof meets the windshield needs some type of transperansy tp inhance stop light visibility. It would also be nice to be able to roll the widow down and not absolutely get your head blown off. The 70 to 100 mph highway wind noise gets a little loud but not sure on how to fix that except to slow down. It would also be nice to have wider side mirrors (the heigth is ok) to compensate for the poor rear/side visibility.

It's an FJ thing....
By tbrock60

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's obvious that most "professional" automotive journalists don't get the FJ and don't understnd it's purpose. It isn't a AWD cross over, it is a very capable Off Road Vehicle. A properly equipped FJ is unequaled in off road capability, comfort and reliability. The often complained about "limited visibility" is easily remedied by adjusting your mirrors properly. Gas Mileage? Do you really buy an off road vehicle for gas mileage? I'm getting between 23 and 24 on the highway...much better than my Dodge Ram! All in all, you either understand the purpose of the FJ and love it or you don't get it and the vehicle just confuses you.

Favorite Features

Electrically locking rear differential; ATRAC for front traction control. Clutch start disable (allows you to start it in gear with the clutch out, very handy off road). Locking center differential. Rear view camera comes in handy on the trail to see those big rocks down low! Ability to disable traction control (completely disabled). Responsive traction control that actually helps in icy conditions. Comfortable for long trips with the family (968 miles in one day to the parents for Christmas) and fantastic off road performance.

Suggested Improvements

Provision or option for a winch mount. Functional skid plates. Better/more inside storage options (a locking console?) Provision for electric trailer brakes. Option for more aggressive tires (comes with "all season" tires)

Love my FJ in so many ways!
By ladylonglegs

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my FJ for ten months now and still enjoy driving it very much. I owned cars for most of my driving years and wanted a SUV since we were moving into the mountains of WV. and thought a 4x4 would serve my needs better. This vehicle does just that and more...the seats are comfortable and the turning radius is great. Inside the cabin is quiet while driving and gives me a feeling that I am riding in a safe vehicle. I purchased the soild white color and couldn't be any happier with my decision on this SUV!

Just what you'd expect...
By tahoclimbr

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are considering buying this car, you are likely looking for something rugged, durable, reliable, and fun to drive. This meets all expectations. I have had my 2012 FJ for 1 month now and couldn't be happier. It gets the same gas mileage as a the Highlander, drives and handles great, is actually just as quiet (or quieter) than my friends' Audi S4 (except at speeds over 70mph, then of course there is more wind noise). I get compliments everyday on the car. It's spacious, reliable, rugged, unique, fun to drive, handles snow/ice/mud great, what else do you want? If you're considering buying this vehicle, it's just what you'd expect.

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior Design Ruggedness 4WD Bluetooth phone/audio Rear Door that swings

Suggested Improvements

Better rearview camera Better gasemileage (although its very comparable to other SUV's with 4WD) Available Navigation built in

Laughing at the "professional" reviews
By tbrock60

2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The reviews that have been published on the FJ crack me up. It's appears the reviewers don't understand the purpose of the FJ. This is no commuter car SUV, it is a body on frame vehicle with significant off-road capability. I have no issues with visibility or blind spots; check your mirrors and look out the window... My 11 year old son loves the back of this thing and the wife likes the ride better than our Ram 1500 quadcab. I got 18.5 mpg on the first tank and expect better as the engine breaks in. I bought this vehicle knowing what I was looking for and I'm thrilled with it. Can't wait to hook the camper to it and head to Marble, CO.

Favorite Features

Locking rear diff and ATRAC. blue tooth for phone and streaming audio 4 door(ish) for better entry than two door Body style. Nothing else like it! Rubber flooring! Removable rear seats

Suggested Improvements

MT tires as a standard fitment for winch made standard