The most reliable serious offroader made.
By jimmybuffett on
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I had a '99 Wrangler that was a piece of junk. The new Jeeps aren't that much better. I moved to Colorado for offroading and bought an FJ. Lifted, rock armor, winch, roof rack, the works. This truck is a tank. It goes everywhere I want with no reliability or performance issues. On-road performance is nice too because of the independent front suspension (the Jeep is still a solid front axle). I can beat this truck up for 7 hours on Chinaman Gulch near Buena Vista then set the cruise to 70 MPH while driving home on US 285 and do so in comfort. This is why the FJ is the #1 resale value vehicle in the country, I have no idea why they can only sell 13K of them a year.
Favorite Features
Toyota reliability, short wheelbase, high clearance. You should see the places I've been in mine: Lead King Basin, Imogene Pass, Tincup Pass, Mt. Antero, Red Cone Pass. The list goes on and on. I have the 2011 Trail Teams, dark green with the matching roof all blacked out and get lots of compliments on it. It cleans up well for the city life and then gets dirty on the weekends. Great storage space in the rear, if you need more storage upgrade the roof rack (I have a Gobi stealth).
Suggested Improvements
Doesn't matter, it's discontinued in 2014. Wish it came with navi/entune like the 4Runner and Tacoma.