Used 2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Great Vehicule
By Marco

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable truck. Great off road. Fun to drive and unique design. Awesome truck in winter. Good power.

Favorite Features

Design , Power, off road abilities.Rear view camera awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Better Fuel economy although we knew it would be costly on gas.Windshield washer indicator would be good.Paint chips easily .They should have applied a better quality paint knowing it was built to go off road.

Our Second FJ
By jomeenen

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our first FJ in May 2009. Four months later, towing our 24 foot travel trailer along Rt 84 in PA the trailer was caught by a gust of wind and we started to fishtail. My husband gently applied the trailer breaks in an effort to get it to stop swinging but it was too far gone. The trailer flipped, and with it went my brand new FJ containing my husband, our two dogs and me. I remember being upside down, then on our side, skidding along the highway, then somehow, back on all 4 tires and stopped. Only one window broke, the passenger side view mirror folded in and broke the passenger side window. Aside from scrapes and bruises, were all shook up and perfectly ok.

Favorite Features

The side curtain airbags keep your face from scraping the highway. The roll cage keeps everyone inside from being crushed or shredded with broken glass. An FJ Cruiser is the only car I feel safe in.

Suggested Improvements

Please let's beg Toyota to continue making the FJ.

Overall Great Vehicle
By Jack

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my FJ in July to replace a piece of junk Land Rover Freelander (also purchased new in 2002). I wanted to wait until I had some time in the vehicle before writing a review. This is an outstanding vehicle. My wife didn't want to get it initially, but now she says she would buy another without a second thought. I immediately changed the oil over to Full Synthetic, and am getting an average 20mpg city/highway, and plan to change the drive train over to full syn in the near future. It is outstanding in the mud and snow. I have nothing but good things to say about this vehicle, and I've owned Ford's, GM products, Nissan's, Land Rovers, Mazda's and Subaru's. Toyota's from now on.

Favorite Features

It's ability in mud and snow is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Larger side mirrors, heated side mirrors, and heated seat option.

Best ever
By arkfj

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had all manner of trucks and cars. This is the best ever. I started my driving with a 1972 fj40. This is like being 16 again and never wanting to get out. I find a reason to drive it whenever I can. I pull a 4300# boat and camp with it every weekend.

Favorite Features

"Wipe down int." power, white top, off road ability, back up camera, seats.

Suggested Improvements

More colors, more int. options, more rubber instead of plastic inside. Stronger paint on roof rack.

A book by its cover
By Mike

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The FJ is exactly what it looks like - great fun in a hard-nosed package without extras. It's not a mall crawler, and that's ok with me. Great in bad weather, great off road. designed to be durable, should run forever. If you are an outdoor enthusiast - you owe it to yourself to look at one of these. I camp, hunt and fish, this is perfect for my needs. More HP and torque than an H3 and still gets better mileage. Visibility is no problem if you've driven trucks before.

Favorite Features

styling, easy to clean interior, flexible interior, useful roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

fold flat passengers front seat - opening rear windows - front seat belts should be in the seats, not in the doors