In Need of Redesign
By Tom Bjelic on
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
This is my 5th Suv. After having owned Nissans and Jeeps I purchased the FJ for my wife to haul around kids, dogs and ski gear. It is a disaster of design. The interior is dark and visibility is terrible. I can get by these issues however, It's the worst SUV I've ever driven when it comes to performance in snow. We hit the slopes whenever it snows and this vehicle is brutal. Regardless of tires, it's not safe to drive. Coupled with it's nervous anti-lock brakes it's a dangerous vehicle to control in a blizzard. Our Xterra performed much better, with the Jeep being the best. The stain proof seats get dog hair caught in the open fibres and I have to use duct tape to clean it.
Favorite Features
Great roof rack system with modular parts that are easy to adjust. Although the average sized woman will never be able to put a bike up there. It's very high and you can't use underground parking if you have any racks on it. Looks good... but it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.
Suggested Improvements
Stop focusing on aesthetics and improve snow performance. Rear seat belts are very slow to recoil. Improve seat cloth so it doesn't trap lint or dog hair. In-ceiling speakers distort with any volume or bass. Redesign rear for better visibility. Doors trap you if trying to exit by parked car.