2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6 4x4 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - FJ Cruiser Review

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 6-speed Manual)

FJ Cruiser Review
By Jerry G. (Colorado) on

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

What a joy it is to drive again. I took this off-road with only 350 miles on it. Nothing radical, just steep and rutty stuff, and it handled great. When changing directions after a stop, you seem to get time to go from brake to throttle before you start to free roll much. I loved going back down Jones Pass Rd, jamming into 1st gear at 20 mph and doing a 180 down to the next switchback. The FJ felt real stable, and handled the bumps like a pro. On the pavement, the ride is nice and not "trucky". 20 mpg highway/city/mtn is great. My 2.9L Ranger was no better than that.

Favorite Features

Knobs big, good with gloves on. Not fancy, just practical. Not a "soccer mom's" car (thank goodness), more of a "guy's toy" vehicle, although it's my one and only. No carpet to stain. Nice sound system/aux jack. Room for the grandkids, too.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better radio reception. Visibility is limited, but even rock crawlers have "spotters" to guide them. No trouble if you just keep aware of your surroundings.