2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Fun
By Rodger

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought this last week and drove it 5 hours to San Diego. This is far more comfortable than I thought it would be. This car gets a lot of looks. I had it raised 6 inches and it looks amazing.

Favorite Features

Head room. Great style!

Suggested Improvements

Visibility.

FJ 4x2
By kanayon

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

PROS: fun to drive, performs best with premium gas, retro styling. CONS: inconvenient suicide doors, limited rearward visibility but over-all styling is A+, notwithstanding above-mentioned negatives.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Entirely remove roof rack from options list! Front, rear bumpers should be completely black.

Great all-round vehicle
By Jim

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was hooked after my first drive. Handles very well for what it is. Getting about 18mpg by keeping my foot "out of it". Should get better mileage on the highway. Installed a K&N air filter and use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The motor seems strong and is always willing to rev. It's easily handling the current No. Indiana winter. No problem, from mushy slush, to blowing thru drifted-over county roads. It tracks and runs well. Could use better visibility but you'll learn to drive with the mirrors. Ventilation could be better. Having a small issue with the paint job on the hood. I do plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time as it feels strong and has a basically good build design. I like it.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the true utility nature of this vehicle. Brought some wood home for the stove one day, wife and I were out running the roads the next. Cleans up real easy. Headlights and heater are great. Nothing is fancy. No bling. All controls are simple and easy to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Improve ventilation in back. Could use better visibility. Get the paint issues straightened out.

Classic Reliable Ride
By rayboy

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive 4-700 miles per week as a field representative in W NY. I want to drive a safe reliable powerful fun vehicle as opposed to the standard issue company car. This FJ Cruiser received a 5 star rating (best rating available) for frontal crash test. It also received a 4 star rating for side impact crash test. The 4wd option works great on my icy hill. Unlike some of the 4wds I've owned, this FJ allows me to engage/disengage the 4wd therefore allowing me to save money on gas, 20mpg. This FJ also has a 5000 lb towing capacity which is more than enough to tow my 3000 boat. The ride is unbelievably smooth and powerful with the 4.0 L 6cylinder engine.No carpet/easy clean interior!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. Easy clean interior. Suicide doors/easy to get kids in back seat. Oil filter near top of engine! Powerful engine 5000lb towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

Need just a little more legroom in back seat area.

Cool Mini Truck
By Rockn' Ride

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck, it's fun to drive, has great performance, kickin' stereo and looks real cool.

Favorite Features

Radio with sub, great looks, and off road ability.

Suggested Improvements

Second 12 volt car adapter up front, passenger arm rest standard.

Love
By Sbw

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just got it and I'm in love! The very first thing I noticed was the blind spots but I will deal since I have the rear sensors. Mine is loaded and it's perfect! I was surprised at how smooth and comfortable it is. I can't wait to get it off the road!

Favorite Features

I live in CO so the heater is awesome. Also love stereo/subwoofer and the room in the back. Sun visors are great too! No carpet is the best idea ever in a 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage for this serious 4wd is not bad. My 96 Honda Accord had worse gas mileage. Nothing could be better for me except two!

Not Your Average SUV
By Randy Vorster

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you plan to go off-roading opt for the All Terrain Pkg. It comes w/ very nice 16" wheels (diff look from the 17"), great shocks, locking diff, A- trac, pre-cleaner & multi-info display. I ordered the TRD exhaust which I think is a plus, cool ellipse tip and sound. It came with blk running boards which will not work as rock rails, but will save you from car- level door dings. Ride quality is great for a 4x4. We have gone on fun adventures and seen things that would have required some serious hiking. With the right mind-set the FJ will make a great primary vehicle. As a 2nd vehicle to our German sedan we could not be happier. Hard to imagine the sedan is now a 2nd choice when driving to work!

Favorite Features

Classic looks, stands out from the cookie cutter SUVs. Its a Toyota with the heritage of the original Land Cruiser. Seats with water resist fabric. Skip the carpet and get the serious rubber mats (you will not be disappointed). The feeling I get in the middle of no-where in total comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The down side is the FJs windshield (part of that classic look), bug splatter and repaired rock chips can be lived with but cracks will lead to an expensive $1,200 windshield replacement. The thin aluminum roof can be damaged during removal / installation per the pros. so choose top-tier service.

Still Smiling
By Tain Utah

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 4th 4X4 I have owned and none of them have been this much fun. I have only put 1800 miles on my FJC but they have been great miles. My wife drove it the 120 miles home from the dealer but all the rest are mine. I have traveled the far reaches of the western Utah desert and the close reaches of the Buckhorn draw desert. I have gone up hills and over terrain that I have never been in an SUV, only a honda 4 wheeler. The heater and music are a lot better than the 4 wheeler. I enjoy the music even the woofer for a 48 yr old, Never been around MP3 but I'm an expert now. TRD exhaust wasn't necessary but enjoy that too. This new FJC is like the fountain of youth to me behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

Goes every where up down across any terrain I have tried to go through. Is well suited for me, wife and 15 yr old son, grandkids like the up and down part. First time I've had a locker, great item. Music a must and comfortable seating if son sits behind wife. Very fun ride.

Suggested Improvements

Couple of inches more room back seat and storage for a few things like a chain to pull my friends with. The extras I have are plenty. But better MPG is always good.

2008 FJ Cruiser Review
By sxipro

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it about 3 weeks ago and love this vehicle. It is fun to drive, good on power, great off-road and has a unique look. I like the big control knobs and handles. I took it on a little trail when I went camping and locked the 4wd in just to try it and it handled great! It has that high quality feel that all Toyotas seem to have. It does have blind spots but the big mirrors make up for that.

Favorite Features

Big buttons, control knobs and handles. Different looking than anything on/off the road. Plenty of power, supercharger is now available from TRD if not enough power. Interior floors can be washed out with a hose. Great stereo with subwoofer, mp3 port and 6 disk changer. Lots of accessories available.

Suggested Improvements

More power outlets for gps, iPod, radar detector, etc. Needs more little cubby holes in the front like for change and small things. The rear needs more cargo holes as well like for first aid kits,j umper cables, tow straps, etc. I don't like taking off the head rests to lay rear seats flat.

Small price for a head turner
By k100

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I pick the CQ & Sport package plus the roof rack & tow hitch package. The ride is excellent especially in the beaten up city road (NY City). Although the engine is silky smooth, the exhaust is kind of loud when starting at slow speed. Blind spot is an issue, make sure you order the rear sonar. I'm ordering a rear view camera as too many kids play around my driveway. This truck is tall, makes you feel sitting in a bigger truck, great view, in return, it need 6'9" clearance for indoor parking clearance with the roofrack. Gas mileage is as expected at about 20 mpg hwy @ 75-80 mph.

Favorite Features

Style & predict excellent resell value. Comfortable seat, roomy interior, smooth powertrain & excellent fit & finish. Great value.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof & power seat should be availble as an option. Rearview camera should be standard in this truck.