Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Great SUV
By Riad Abi Chahla

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When i saw the FJ i immediately wanted to buy... I did some research and i found that it has everything i need. 1st the rugged stylish looks the durability the power and off road capabilities... after 3months of ownership I still find it more amazing everyday...

Off road capabilities, exterior design, interior functional design, engine power, and easy to clean flooring

Remove the seat belt beeper

Not for passengers
By Mike

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I think I need to buy extra medical coverage for my vehicle insurance. Everyone hits their heads when entering/exiting the back seat. The interior panels are below Chevy in build quality and fit. The front windshield wipers chatter, and do not lay flat in cold weather. The exterior paint has scratched very easily.

Sits high up.

Better paint, better rear passenger entry, better interior build quality.

Great SUV
By CalgaryMan

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I hated it first but then fell in love. Now absolutely love. Cannot wait to drive it every day. I have done a great amount of research before purchasing this vehicle. I wanted a Japanese made SUV on a frame for a reasonable price. I did not want to drive a soccer mom SUV. I left me with only one option. It is great on both highway and city. You get used to blind spots after couple days of driving. An extra inch of leg room at the back seat would be helpful. Hey, it is not a family SUV after all. Exhaust is a bit loud. I read that is was done on purpose. FJ has a different exhaust from that of a 4Runner. I would like it more quiet. Overall, you can either love of hate FJ. And I LOVE it.

Off road capabilities, smooth ride, solid built, the way it feels. EVERYTHING.

Back seat room, loud exhaust system. It is not that important after all.

Great Toy
By Kurt

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV, fun to drive, goes anywhere. I call it a 2 passenger gas hog though. My only complaint is the back seat, it is to small for a lot of adults, not easy to get in and out of. The flip side is I will never see a soccer mom with car seats in the back driving one. I take it off road whenever I get the chance. I have only had it high centered once but it blasted its way out eventually. Could use serious tires for off-roading. It rides like a car with the factory tires. I added lambskin seat covers from Costco and they are great over the stiff factory seats. If you like fun and don't care about hauling many people get one. I have all the performance extras and get 15-16 MPG.

Performance, pull off the shoulder of a highway and then back on. Keep it floored to about 80, it is scary (find an empty highway). I have the performance exhaust and cold air intake. It likes Premium but runs fine w/o it.

Little larger cargo area. Button inside to release back window. Lid on the console instead of open hole.

In Need of Redesign
By Tom Bjelic

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Suv. After having owned Nissans and Jeeps I purchased the FJ for my wife to haul around kids, dogs and ski gear. It is a disaster of design. The interior is dark and visibility is terrible. I can get by these issues however, It's the worst SUV I've ever driven when it comes to performance in snow. We hit the slopes whenever it snows and this vehicle is brutal. Regardless of tires, it's not safe to drive. Coupled with it's nervous anti-lock brakes it's a dangerous vehicle to control in a blizzard. Our Xterra performed much better, with the Jeep being the best. The stain proof seats get dog hair caught in the open fibres and I have to use duct tape to clean it.

Great roof rack system with modular parts that are easy to adjust. Although the average sized woman will never be able to put a bike up there. It's very high and you can't use underground parking if you have any racks on it. Looks good... but it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Stop focusing on aesthetics and improve snow performance. Rear seat belts are very slow to recoil. Improve seat cloth so it doesn't trap lint or dog hair. In-ceiling speakers distort with any volume or bass. Redesign rear for better visibility. Doors trap you if trying to exit by parked car.