Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Love the FJ cruiser.
By Kal

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car after a lot of research. I am a big Toyota fan and this car has lived up to my expectation. Used to drive a RWD Mercedes Benz and just hated driving it in the winter in Iowa. But this car drives like a champ and is so comfortable. My boys (8 and 4) love the car and can sit comfortably in the rear seat. Blind spot is no big deal. if you drive well you get used to it just like anything else in life. Would not miss out on the other great features of the car because of that.

The drive the cool black color and the seats and of curse the comfortable space. Finally the reliability of Toyota. So far no car comes close to it.

Little more lighting in the interior. Nothing much it is a great car in my opinion.

love my FJ
By mel

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle for off road. The stock vehicle is poorly set up for serious use off road (plastic bumper imitation skid plates, etc.) There 98% of complaints end. The off road ability even with stock tires is unbelievable. I have changed rims, ties and added armor (skid plates, rock sliders and real bumpers). The performance and power need to be driven to be believed. The standard vehicle is small inside, it ain't a Suburban. There is limited storage space. The hood is high and forward visibility is limited. If you can't drive with mirrors this vehicle is not for you. FJ could use more sound deadening. Very noisy at high speed. it hauls and turns on a dime. I love it.

Unreal off road performance. Good looks. I have the sand color and it turns heads. Good stereo, good lighting, inside and out. Easy to clean out. The cabin filter leaves the inside immaculate no matter how dusty the trail. The three wipers perform better than any vehicle I have owned.

More sound damping. Bags or other means to stow groceries. The bag hangers are cool but you need five or so each side, not two total. Lose the imitation bling and put out a real off road model for the off road buyer. Plastic bumpers, brush guards are not ok for off road use. An off road model?

Recent purchase
By Eric

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased my FJ after my Jeep Wrangler 4 dr was totaled after hit head on. Was going to buy another Jeep until I test drove the FJ and read consumer feedback on this sight. Although I haven't put many miles on, the FJ has lived up to my expectations. Plenty of room for me and my 2 boys, age 9 and 13. The suicide doors aren't an issue much to my wife's reluctance. As far as the blind spot people complain about, if you know how to drive, use your mirrors, and have driven an SUV, there is no discussion! My only wish is that Toyota comes out with a rag top in this model. Plenty of power, more comfortable than the Jeep.

Soft top

FJ, best all around family vehicle
By Jami S

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since 2007 I had been looking at the FJ but was not willing to pay the price. I read reviews and did my research for nearly a year. I love this vehicle. It drives great, handles great for the vehicle type, and it has very good power to get up & go. It is a very capable off-road vehicle. I have had it off-road on some rough trails and the FJ performed like a champ. Visibility is not that bad and it is something you can get adjusted to. The suspension is nice a tight and provides plenty of confidence on the road. Also, regular unleaded fuel is acceptable to use. My dealership stated this and so does Toyota. Gas mileage is not bad considering. Plenty of room for a family of 5 on any occasion.

The ability to fit all 3 of our kids in the rear seat with car seats and still have room. I love the sunfusion yellow and the TRD wheels with BFG T/A ko tires. The base stereo is pretty good with the addition of a sub and some speakers in the rear cargo area. That will surround you with sound.

Map lights would be nice. A locking glove box. A retracting rear window and/or pop out windows on the side in the rear. Stereo controls on the steering wheel and leather wrapped wheel for all models. Our only complaint, the difficulty in getting in & out with 3 kids when parking but we've adjusted.

2008 FJ Cruiser
By Lucero

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drives well, good acceleration and braking. Nice turning radius. Solid ride on the interstates

Off road capability

Locking gas cap. No premium fuel, this is the same engine as the 4-Runners, why does Toyota require premium for the FJ?