2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:
If you read this you will buy it
By chrisl on 10/16/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Trust me, this is a very capable vehicle in all aspects. I usually don't write reviews, but in the case of the FJ I am making an exception. Like most of you, I did a lot of extensive research before I made my final vehicle decision. My advice would be not to get hung up on the negative reviews, and focus on the positive ones, it'll save you a lot of wasted time. The blind spots are not as bad as some people say they are. The rear seats do fold all the way down. Road noise is not noticeable and the interior is quiet. This vehicle is extremely reliable, and capable of some astounding things. This vehicle has been tested to its limits and still scores big!

Excellent Vehicle
By mjr88car on 09/26/08 11:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

A great SUV for the money. Bought it for the Toyota quality and reliability and wanted the best 4x4. I have the manual with full time four wheel drive and my mileage is consistently 21-23 hwy and 19 city. Solid, fun to drive, and it does grow on you. I put on 2 blind spot mirrors which do help a lot. However I find that all the hype about the poor rear view is nonsense anyway. If you know how to drive it's no problem. I fish in Canada and have gotten stuck with my old domestic 4x4 (don't know how they can call them true 4x4s). I finally bought something that will get me in/ out of less than poor road and landing conditions. Love the VSC and traction control. I rarely ever lock everything in.

NeeCee's Cruiser
By NeeCee on 09/21/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I work out of my automobiles and had driven a Honda CRV for the past 5 years. It was time for a new vehicle and I had decided to buy another Honda. The night before I went to buy it I was on the computer researching cars and read the reports on the FJ Cruiser. I decided to go and give it a test drive that next morning. Thank goodness I did. I knew the minute I drove it this was the SUV for me. I love it! I have only had it for a short time but it feels safe and I love the way it handles. Oh, did I tell you how great I think it looks?

The Best Choice For A Real SUV 4x4!!!
By Marianne on 08/27/08 03:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I looked for 3 months at SUVs and I always came back to the fj. It was big purchase for me because I wanted a vehicle that was going to be truly reliable and not in the repair shop all the time and I have worked previous at 2 GM dealerships, even all my mechanic friends give it 2 thumbs up! I've driven in some pretty crazy 4x4 zones with it and it's performed excellent, and a truly fun truck to drive. I don't find the blind spot a big deal and everyone that has sat in the backseat has found it easy to enter and exit. I would suggest to all, to take one for a test drive. They grow on you... they are a different driving experience and different is good from the norm.

FJ SUV bargain, high quality construction
By m jones on 08/17/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I finally got my FJ and it has been all I expected and more, very civilized ride and comfort, yet ruggedly constructed, and all this for under $30k, I love it!

LOVE IT!!!!
By Jmatz on 07/21/08 13:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Takes a bit getting used to the blind spots. Love the car to the max! Fun to drive, 4X4 is really nice. Have a friend with a Jeep Wrangler and goes toe to toe off road with it and is much more practical. A few things I would improve would be the seats do not have a forward track for the people getting into the back seat. You have to manually move it forward from the front. The rear windows do not go down. Does not seem like a big deal, but the wind whips through the truck like crazy. Last thing would be the back window would be nice if it would go down like with the 4 runner. But all in all I would highly recommend this vehicle!! BUY IT!

MPG - 20+
By new owner on 07/20/08 05:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought my FJ a couple weeks ago. I'm getting 20+ MPG. I drive conservatively (coasting in neutral when I can), taking off slow and planning for stops ahead of time - right now, I'm getting better than the advertised MPG (25% city driving). It's a pleasure to drive and very comfortable. The only problem is getting into the back seat - Toyota should have provided some kind of handle to help pull yourself into the back seating area (my youngest struggles to get back there, clawing at anything she can to help herself in).

Joe's FJ Ride
By Joe's Ride on 07/19/08 13:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a fun to drive, off road 4X4. Built like a tank however, the ride is good. 20 MPG in city driving, not bad! Have the TRD exhaust and not sure it does anything for the performance? But it sound good! Have been using regular gas and only notice a slight loss of power. Engine on a synthetic diet now that I have 9000 miles on it.

What a Great Choice!
By Andy P on 07/11/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Comfortable. Great performance. Good mileage. Love the way it looks. Fun to drive. If you need an SUV, here it is. If you need a vehicle that pretends to be one, look elsewhere. This SUV is not for everyone.

Gotta love it!
By Adrian on 07/10/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There are two things I will not sacrifice to save a few dollars on gas. #1 is Safety #2 is Fun. That to me sums up my recent experience with my new FJ. It just feels solid, well made, and It's just a blast to cruise around in.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser in VA is:

$127 per month*