Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Not your average SUV
By DIKKINS

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The FJ cruiser is like buying a prom dress, It has a specific purpose and no other vehicle does it as well. I have driven this vehicle 6000 miles in 3 months, 2/3 on the highway and 1/3 off road. It has no real equal off road, and is very good on the road. I have no qualms about about driving just about anywhere. It goes through heavy snow, fields, mud and on superhighways with ease. I purchase a more aggressive tire than the standard ones it came with and would advise this if you're going off road or in snow. This vehicle is solid, and seems more like a truck than the average SUV. The joy of this vehicle is that it will take you easily where others will not go and do it with ease.

Favorite Features

The solid feel, the powerful engine, the rugged build and exterior styling. The way it handles off the road and the great reliability of a well built Toyota. I have had off road contest with a Jeep Rubicon and bested it every time.

Suggested Improvements

A little more window space in the rear. Improved gas mileage, and a front window that is not so vertical. I use premium fuel, get 16 MPG around town , and 21 on the highway using cruise control. I don't measure fuel use off the road, since lots time is spent driving in 4 wheel drive and idling.

Have to love them to want to own one.
By bkd

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My grandfather owned an orig. FJ from 1965 until his death. It looked rough but ran well. Since he taught me to drive I have always wanted one. Never wanted to invest in a rust bucket. When the news ones came out it was a wish come true. You have to love them for yourself. It is not for kids or soccer moms. It is for dad and trip to the outdoors. If you love being outside in the mountains it is worth every penny. I grew up in Colorado and have dreamed of my get away and now it is here. It isn't practical but it is mine and it gets me out in style and reliability.

Favorite Features

Reliability, seat covers, plastic floor mats, high clearance, ride, steering.

Suggested Improvements

Interior lighting, latch button for back glass and door.

Very Cool SUV
By Gary M

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Comfortable, powerful, quick and nimble. This is my 3rd Toyota. I was going to buy another Jeep Wrangler till I test drove this vehicle. I am impressed with the quality and feel this SUV has. Shifts like butter and handles like a dream. Quiet and spacious has plenty of room for my stuff and kids. Strongly recommend this Toyota product. Test drive one and you’ll be hooked!

Favorite Features

Three wiper system, Total control over drive-train

See it, Drive it , Buy it
By mnivens

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The retro look of the FJ and reliability of Toyota brought me to replace my 95 4RunnR. My wife, believe it or not, liked the styling as much as I and the fact it has a good safety rating and she sits high enough to see well. She has had hip problems, but the FJ is no problem for her to get in/out. We like the simplicity of the vehicle. The FJ is a different look, but since most vehicles look alike, the FJ is a step above in styling. We are both in our mid-fifties, but feel good in this. Power is excellent, visibility is OK, Blind spot mirrors solved this problem. We had a dealer installed running boards, passenger arm rest, and towing hitch. No, it is not a Lexus, but it fits us.

Favorite Features

Styling, reliability, safety rating, simplicity. Seats are very comfortable and entire interior can be hosed out - to a point. Really like the suicide rear doors. Styling looks like a two door, but has two "extra" doors. Very secure in the back-no need for child locks.

Suggested Improvements

More storage for "stuff", have the passenger arm rest as standard equipment.

Always wanted offroad
By Great Deal

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've wanted the FJ after the 1st one I saw. And after getting it, I love it. I do a lot of off roading and with a just few add-ons its ready to go. I don't have kids and don't think I would have gotten if I did. For me, the wife and a couple of dogs, its all I need. The interior is great for clean up. I got the all weather mats and it's just a spay down with the hose to clean. The big 4.0L V6 has the power I need off roading or blowing away the "on the phone soccer mom" on the road. It does go through the fuel and you may want to bring some extra on those long trips to the middle of nowhere. There is plenty of head room which has been a problem for me in the past.

Favorite Features

I'm not driving a "me too" vehicle. There are very few on the road compared to most autos. The power, nice stereo and I can plug in my iPhone and have my music where ever I go.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure that Toyota can come up with a powerful engine that can get better mileage. If Ford and GM are building them, I expect lots more from Asia manufacturers.