Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Love It!
By MomzToy

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 2008 Cruiser, I survived and walked away from a accident involving being hit at over 60 mph and rolling over. I was cut out of the car and advised the only reason I walked away from the accident is I was driving a Toyota. I was told this 3 x at the scene and in the ER by police, paramedics and a Dr, I bought the same car again on 4WD.What fun! I have just spent my first winter in snow and ice and it went everywhere.. It is dependable, durable, and always has people looking at it!

Favorite Features

The 2 wheel, all wheel and 4 wheel ability..

PROVEN RELIABILITY
By Stutz

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

55,000 miles since new and other than oil changes I just had a new set of tires installed !!! No problems whatsoever !!!

Favorite Features

Power,smooth ride,towing capacity,retro looks,three blade wipers,easy to clean/durable fabric,no interior carpeting for easy cleaning,flip down split/rear seat so I can haul snow skis. Also like shift on the fly 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

Horn is very lame for low volume. I wood expect something like this in the smallest econobox,not a vehicle of this quality

Poor Winter Performance
By kidsysco

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I would not suggest an FJ cruiser for anyone who intends on driving it in weather that is less than 30 degrees F. Which is not very cold at all, many places in the world get much colder. My FJ has a serious problem with ice. At a mere 27 degrees F the entire tank holding all of the windshield wiper fluid has turned to slush. I have anti- freeze in there rated up to -50 degrees F. It does not matter, the way that the tank is positioned inside the motor is poorly engineered so that the wind blows up against it causing things to freeze up more easily than any other car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Not many at all. A very poor vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The wiper blades are terribly complicated and have many moving parts on them in order to wipe the windshield but those moving parts get so easily bound up with ice that the wiper blades are essentially useless in an FJ cruiser under 30 degrees F.

Weekends with the boys
By JayhawkGrl

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a designer and I love this true-to-form vehicle for all it allows me to do -granted it's not ideal for parents or carpoolers. I like that the utilitarian design isn't disguised by pricey leather and superfluous features. An avid mountain biker, dog owner, hiker, camper, fisherwoman this SUV does all I need it to with plenty of space and comfort. I do a lot of city driving during the week and I've gotten impressive gas mileage. It's perfect for weekend trips and vacations. What I appreciate most is the customization and easy pricing. If you want to add components you can wrap in what you need without getting sucked into manufacturer's packages. I love my FJ- spring for the woofer!

Favorite Features

Spacious back area with fold flat seats, no stain fabric, easy to clean, tall clearance, subwoofer, smooth ride & handling, sweet cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Include a long tool for cleaning the windows! Larger tire tools storage compartment in back for jump cables & misc tools, sun roof, visor lights, roll down rear door window, turning headlights (great BMW feature!)

One of a kind
By Justin

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota outdid itsself with this vehicle - it is safe and fun to drive. It is more capable, functional, and reliable than Jeep or Hummer.

Favorite Features

safety and handling

Suggested Improvements

Map lights, opening rear door windows and locking glove box.