2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Cheap !
By FJ Crusier

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The paint on the outside of the FJ scratches way to easily. The plastic interior scratches even easier. For an off road vehicle, in which mine is not, just cheap and poorly designed. The premium gas @2.98 a gal. What ! 15 miles in the city and 20 on hwy. Rides nice and has good pick-up when you need it, just shouldn't have to run premium gas and give a second thought to the paint! Now the windshield, cracks WAY too easily. Bad up-right design as the hummer, rocks don't skip off, again an off road vehicle . What ! Had 5, count em, 5 small dings (dime size cracks/spots) fixed b4 the last one gave way to a 16" crack! Shop around, maybe buy American, I know. I know., but it's true

Favorite Features

Good pick-up, pulls my boat w/out a problem

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage The windshield design and quality again cheap! exterior paint cheaply done interior plastic scratches like plastic side mirrors block views in turns, should stick out to the side and not so high blind spots, takes a getting use to.

NeeCee's Cruiser
By NeeCee

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I work out of my automobiles and had driven a Honda CRV for the past 5 years. It was time for a new vehicle and I had decided to buy another Honda. The night before I went to buy it I was on the computer researching cars and read the reports on the FJ Cruiser. I decided to go and give it a test drive that next morning. Thank goodness I did. I knew the minute I drove it this was the SUV for me. I love it! I have only had it for a short time but it feels safe and I love the way it handles. Oh, did I tell you how great I think it looks?

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

I would love for it to have back doors that open like the front ones.

FJ 4x2
By kanayon

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

PROS: fun to drive, performs best with premium gas, retro styling. CONS: inconvenient suicide doors, limited rearward visibility but over-all styling is A+, notwithstanding above-mentioned negatives.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Entirely remove roof rack from options list! Front, rear bumpers should be completely black.

2008 FJ Cruiser Review
By sxipro

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it about 3 weeks ago and love this vehicle. It is fun to drive, good on power, great off-road and has a unique look. I like the big control knobs and handles. I took it on a little trail when I went camping and locked the 4wd in just to try it and it handled great! It has that high quality feel that all Toyotas seem to have. It does have blind spots but the big mirrors make up for that.

Favorite Features

Big buttons, control knobs and handles. Different looking than anything on/off the road. Plenty of power, supercharger is now available from TRD if not enough power. Interior floors can be washed out with a hose. Great stereo with subwoofer, mp3 port and 6 disk changer. Lots of accessories available.

Suggested Improvements

More power outlets for gps, iPod, radar detector, etc. Needs more little cubby holes in the front like for change and small things. The rear needs more cargo holes as well like for first aid kits,j umper cables, tow straps, etc. I don't like taking off the head rests to lay rear seats flat.

Only 1 problem
By FJLUVER

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The FJ has great power, excellent off road capability, and handles like a dream. The only flaws with the FJ is the huge blind spots, and the airplane style rear windows. The mirrors compensate well for the blind spots though. Wonderful car.

Favorite Features

Excellent off road capabilities. Not a soccer mom SUV.

Suggested Improvements

More glass to compensate for the large blind spots.