2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Fj-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2007 FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Sort Reviews by

No worries , get better roof rack.
By manuel munoz

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I made a deposit prior to the fj being delivered into the US. One of the first on the west coast.No regrets.Front seat is a bit uncomfortable.Pillow fixed that.I only changed the intake,and exhaust, shocks,TRD all.The best tires for this rig are General at 2. Rotate every 3000, as with the oil.70,000 plus miles on tires. Work great in 2 foot snow and steep rock and gravel roads.Keep it at 65 mph and received 20 mpg,freeway. Will keep this forever.Not true about "all over the road,in wind".Not one problem.Do not use after market ultra bright headlight bulbs,will fry the sockets.lift kit not needed.Goes everywhere,anywhere,stock.Install blind spot mirror's A must. No regrets

Favorite Features

Storage compartments. Off Road preformance. dependability. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Roof rack. Blind spot mirrors. Front headlight lens protection. Front seat comfort.

I LOVE MY FJ
By mike0525

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my FJ in 2011 and have not regretted it one bit. I don't have the top of the line model but, I do have the locking axles as well as an after market exhaust/intake and shocks and they just add to the level of enjoyment of this vehicle. Yes it has its draw backs but as long as you accept them you'll love the FJ. It's quiet, boxy, retro and FUN.! It handles quite well in snow and ice and my gas mileage has been consistently 15/18 using premium fuel. It's a 4x4 and is meant to be an off road vehicle so anyone who buys one xpecting it to be anything else will be disappointed but, if you want a solid, reliable, sturdy 4X4 you will be happy with this one.

Favorite Features

The clam shell rear doors as well as the huge back door ( with a nifty locking bar) make loading and unloading so easy. I enjoy the 5 speed automatic and shift on the fly 4X4 with the locking rear end. When you close the doors it sounds "solid" not "tinny" as so many other SUVs do. It's just a fun car/truck all the way around.

Suggested Improvements

Incorporate a back up camera into the dash and it'd be the best off road vehicle that I've ever owned. I plan on keeping this on a very long time.

What do you expect, its a Toyota!!
By jaystone22

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Fj one year ago with 60000 miles, trading in my 4 runner. Have no regrets about it. I have close to 80000 miles on it now and have had no problems at all. Absolutely love this vehicle. If you are thinking about getting one, do not hesitate. You will regeret not owning this fine piece of work.

Favorite Features

Roomy Cabin Off Road Capabilities 3 in lift Roof Rack (awesome)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Short comings
By ozzyj

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2007 FJ 4x4 with all the bells-and whistles; although I have had no mechanical difficulties, I have to say that it is not without its problems. Its paint chips if the wind blows, itís all over the road with wind over 25 mph, has dangerous blind spots, too wide for most off road situations, weak tie rods, front windows break easily due to shape/angel e, frames on some are weak and buckle, some have weak rear differential, terrible transmission, poorly designed for water usage for a 4x4, (short rods in motor so if you make a mistake in the water you will have to replace the motor), poor gas mileage, engine wines over 40 mph, even with change of tires itís squarely on slick surfaces (

Favorite Features

4x4 and out side looks

Suggested Improvements

blind spots, transmission, side sun-visors, scuba on front, rear differential and trans and brake system.

Fun Car but Horrible Gas Mileage
By carlosarturo1

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning this Cool SUV for 3 years I finally traded it in yesterday. Love the look and how fun it is to drive. We put mud tires and all the whistles and it turned all heads around. However, the gas milage is Horrible! I got about 14 to top 17 in the freeway. Not mechanical problems at all in 3 years.

look

King of V6 off-roaders
By alex_fj

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are in need of a full capable 4x4 low cost and low maintenance, the Fj Cruiser is for you. I have a 2007 4x4 5speed auto. Kicks butt on road and off. 100,700mi on it and no problems at all. Only replacements have been bulbs other than that it still runs like a champ smooth as ever. Will out preform any other bone stock 4x4s and I mean WILL.. If you're willing to get intense it will need some mods but other than that your set for some mild of roading. This powerful little monster will leave you in awe if you mis judge it, take it for a test drive you might fall in love.

Favorite Features

Best features on this new Fj are rugged features like the stock skid plates under the motor and front suspension, also has a small skid plate on the transfer case. Rear lock diff button access come in handy especially when pulling out a stuck object/vehicle. Interior is somewhat water proof for the most part the flooring is, big upside to that

Suggested Improvements

The audio quality for the stock Fjs should be upgraded, after a while inside door panels start to rattle very annoying.. Better plastics or tigher fittings should be applied in newer models. Over all it gets a five star rating anyway in my point of view

Solid
By

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned the FJ for 2 years and 62,000 km without a single mechanical issue to date. Have had the near-vertical windshield replaced after 6 months of ownership as a rock cracked the soft stock windshield. Handles like a champ in the snow. 4.0L engine is smooth and powerful. Has some straight-line tracking issues at highway speeds when there are winds > 30km/h due to the non- aerodynamic design.

Favorite Features

Solid handling and secure feeling, tall seating position and performance of the engine. Easy to clean interior (no carpet). Niche vehicle - not for everybody and that's the way I like it!

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat entry in tight parking spots can be tricky.

Jeep. Nah! Get the fj!
By FJfan!

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my black one in 3/10 w/ 50k on it now have 65k and love it! I have always had toyota pickups and jeeps and have always had a lot of fun, but my fj takes the cake! For the money you can't beat it's capabilities off road...and on. Takes corners well, accelerates nicely w/ a throaty stock sound, has a lot of room in the back w/ a decent amt of room in the back seat also. The back doors can be a bit of a pain when in tighter parking, but overall not much of a problem, still easy to get in and out. Slightly heavy in sand, but with the locker, not a problem. Get the rack on top if you're "outdoorsy"! Runs like a champ, looking forward to many more miles and some upgrades!

Favorite Features

4wd, locker, roof rack, heater heats up quick, a/c gets cool quick (Florida), white roof and tinted windows keep super cool during the day, 3 windshield wipers (not 2) are cool, 2 dimmer settings on headlights (plus brights), airbags all around, lots of mods available online

Suggested Improvements

improved visibility, sun/moonroof, more durable paint, more unique/full featured dash and middle console setup, able to open backseat windows (prop at least), improved sound system, side mirror heaters, more ground clearance with upgraded suspension...can't always have Everything we want though!

50,000 Miles Later, Still Great
By bayareaFJ

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 50,000 update to my prior review. No mechanical or cosmetic problems. Everything works like it should. Pulled my trailer last weekend like it's not even there. Interior still looks new. No light bulbs have had to be replaced. I love the cavernous interior and doors that close like a vault. I still expect my kids to drive it in 10 years.

Favorite Features

Build quality.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Teen Offroader
By Jacob

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this vehicle is great. When I first test drove one I expected it to have a bouncy ride and be bad in the corners. Prior to this vehicle I had a 1999 Land Rover Discovery and it took corners horribly. Now the Fj takes the corners like it's a car. The back-up sensors are great due to poor visibility in the back. I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and it still feels like it's a brand new car. The only thing it doesn't have that my Land Rover had was luxury, but if you want luxury that's what the Land Cruiser is for. I've had no problems at all and probably won't ever. Pulling loads is a breeze with the powerful V6. It easily pulls my two wave runners. Perfect affordable offroader.

Favorite Features

Love the back-up sensors, great upgraded stereo with subwoofer, and locking rear-differential. Excellent in snow.

Suggested Improvements

If anything it could have more power but Toyota has already done this with the new ones. Or maybe come out with a special edition that takes away all luxury and is basically is a old FJ40.