Used 2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Actually a 4-door HATCHBACK-Canada
By Lori

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've never loved my car before this--I always bought for practicality and was very happy with the much-recommended, long-lived Tercels since 1984. The ECHO HATCHBACK is cute, fun, different, economical, and comfortable. Maybe not so different anymore--they're popping up everywhere! I get 46MPG (the larger Canadian gallons)in real life driving, which has only a few 5 minute stretches of 80km/h (50mph)--no real highway driving. Toyota makes terrific, reliable cars, and now they have a CUTE one too!

Favorite Features

I love the cute look of it, the terrific fuel economy, the upright seating, the spacious comfort with amazing headroom and legroom for all, interior storage, and the ease of entry (somebody said--without ducking or twisting). I splurged and got air conditioning and keyless entry--what a treat!

Suggested Improvements

Shifting into reverse is not always smooth or definite--sometimes it takes a few tries.

ECHO THE BEST
By Kat

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I need to "move" from an entrance ramp onto a fast highway, my ECHO is there for me. When I need to "gas-it" to get around a truck or Sunday driver...my ECHO is there for me. New York City should buy a fleet of ECHOs to use as eco-enviro Taxi cabs. The back seat is huge, I know, I am a tall person and have to sit back there to wash the windows periodically. I LOVE my ECHO! And he (vinnie..he's black) is SO cute! 39MPG + on the highway. 36mpg in Manhattan!!!

Favorite Features

The engine is tops. The transmission is tops. The sound system is at the top of the ordinary list. This car even takes lots of potholes with a grain of salt. I can drive my Echo for hours and not get tired or cramped!

Suggested Improvements

The Paint job could be a bit more high end. Otherwise...the car is perfect!

Toyota Echo
By Judy

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Handles beautifully - haven't seen the "wobbleness" noted by Edmunds. Gas mileage great - last fill up was 39.8 mpg (I drive conservatively). The 2001 model sold me on getting the 2005, and the 2005 is great!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, location of speedometer and other functional parts, smaller steering wheel (great for "shorties."

Suggested Improvements

Smaller headrests - can be difficult for "shorties" to check before changing lanes sometimes.

ECHO
By I'm sold

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I rented a car in April got one of these by chance. 30 miles later I was completely sold and bought one 2 weeks later. It's a BLAST to drive, the looks really grow on you, it's as roomy inside as a Corolla, and the gas mileage I got with an automatic blew me away, over 40 mpg freeway. I absolutely LOVE this car. There isn't another car in this class that can come NEAR to this car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Speedo placement (not at first, mind you, but now I'm convinced that center mount is a better place than front mount). Build quality. Driveability. Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Stop cheaping out and making customers buy all those options. Equip the thing.

Buy One
By Kev

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an interesting car to purchase. After a lot of research we decided on the 4dr Echo with automatic and air. I like the idea of a timing chain instead of the wimpy belt! A nice piece of car that is just as comfortable at -40 celsius as it is in hot weather conditions. It is really reliable as we live in Canada, and you can go for a very long period driving and not see another car or house. A very fuel efficient gem, and with our Canadian gas prices as high as they are, we can get our initial investment in the car, out in gas savings in 3.2 years, compared to what we had. Once you get past its unique look, the car will actually pay you in reliability and few repairs.

Favorite Features

Go cart like handling, quiet interior, excellent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Canadian versions need better all season tires, and although it doesn't seem to rust, I would feel better about more undercoating for the large amounts of salt put on our roads.