2005 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Better than expected
By Inkentucky on 06/21/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this, I was coming from a '03 Lexus GS300, so I was dreading it, but driving 50+ miles each way to work, I really couldn't justify not having a little commuter car. The manual has been really nice, the ride has been fine, the acceleration is much better than expected. It drifts a little side to side on the interstate but I expect it's due some steering work or new shocks and struts. Has 109k miles on it, and typically gets 37 mpg. Very pleased.

Best owned low cost, long range commuter
By Gregory Estes on 05/16/09 19:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to commute 100 miles a day round trip, both freeway and intercity (half and half). Have tracked mileage since new, averages 37-41 depending on road conditions, speed and my patience with traffic. Normally drive 60-65 mph highway. Only serviced at 60k and now have 97k miles. I do my own oil and filter change every 3k miles. I love this little car, hope to get 300k plus out of it. Would definitely recommend this car to anyone! (note, it's stick shift).

This car has been to hell and back!
By Mike on 02/04/09 16:38 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the greatest car ever! My wife bought this car before we met. I have an eclipse (2000) and love sports cars and racing. This car has impressive performance (for the type of car that it is), the greatest stock stereo I have ever heard, and the strongest and most reliable motor (similar to the Hondas that have been long haulers). We have driven across country (Georgia to California)! I have added a k&n air filter, and use premium fuel, and synthetic oil change (starting at 35000 miles.) At over 73000 miles, the only problem we have had is some minor electrical recently and just did my first battery change. The best buy ever!

Great little car!
By Lisa on 01/23/09 16:58 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I was excited to be a car owner! It was surprisingly good in winter weather and I was fearless to go out in snow, ice, etc. I never had any problems and just had to do all the regular maintenance to keep it going. Unfortunately, I may have been too confident and drove my little car on the highway when there was a lot of black ice. I spun out several times and hit the guard rail, which in the end totaled the car. I am surprised it didn't flip over since the car is quite tall (something I got used to and I still bang my head getting into other cars!). Regardless, this a very good first car!

A Fun Reliable car
By Cindy on 11/30/08 10:31 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car! I have had it for 4 years and love the handling, ease of parking, reliability and mileage. Would definitely buy it again. We commute 50+ miles a day and can't give it up!

MY ECHO
By Gregory Estes on 07/06/08 23:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I presently have 79,373 miles on my echo. It has 4 doors, manual transmission, and I average just over 40 mpg if I drive 60mph or less. I drive 85 miles round trip per day 4-5 days per week for work, (both highway and city). I change my own oil and filter every 3000 miles, and have only had it in the shop once at the dealer for it's 60,000 mile check up. I love this car! Not a bit of trouble, very dependable. They don't make Echos anymore, but Toyota's replacement is the Yaris, (same engine, different body style). If I needed another reliable and economic car I would buy another Echo, if I could find one, or a new Yaris. Toyota really has a winner here!!

Hidden Value
By gkunz on 06/20/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hidden value. Purchased my Echo to travel to work and back. Mostly interstate miles. Could not be happier. Worth the $ my husband now wants another. After over 150000 miles with no major repairs. And still gets 40+ miles per gallon. A hidden treasure. It's sad the Echo was discontinued.

I LOVE this car!
By Bonnie G on 03/09/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Echo! I love the handling, gas mileage, peppy performance. Don't know what your testers were driving!! I'm hanging on to this one!

Efficient yet sporty
By Jeremy on 12/20/05 01:19 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Toyota Echo is the value for your dollar car next to the Honda Civic. If you are looking to give your new high school graduate a new car, A Honda Civic or Toyota Echo is the car. Although 2005 is the last production year for the Echo, look in 2007 for the Toyota Yaris to be the next best thing. Japanese producted Yaris is the exact same frame and structure as the Echo, but you now have a 3rd or 5th door (hatchback).

Anastasia's Review
By Anastasia on 12/18/05 15:27 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Echo! I recommend it to anyone who asks. I get great gas mileage and it is very comfortable, even for long drives. Lots of room, big trunk.