2004 Toyota ECHO Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2004 ECHO Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Sort Reviews by

Probably one of the best cars I have owned.
By erickc

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Toyota that I have ever owned. I bought it when it was 9 years old with 104000 km. (65000 mi). Changed tires, changed brakes and 100000 km later still haven't had to change a thing other than oil and filters. I installed an after market cruise control system in it as I drive approx. 1000 hwy km/week. It makes the driving a lot easier. Gas milage is unbelievable, I save enough fuel per year vs my old 1999 Corolla to cover the cost of the insurance. The car is sitting outside with 657 km on the trip meter and there is still 1/4 tank left. It sure isnt the prettiest Girl in the room, but she sure can cook. Recommend this car to anyone. Looking forward to the Yaris as my next car

Favorite Features

fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy. Interior room is most impressive for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

All have been delt with in the Yaris.

Better than a Prius
By B Dub

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I feel like I won the lottery when I found this car. 2002 with 19k on it. A new car for 50% off! Since then, I average a combined 43 mpg summer/39 mpg winter at 9000 feet up in the mountains. Power to weight ratio is fantastic, especially considering the fuel economy. Acceleration good, cornering good, braking superb = great in snow. Slightly worse mpg than Prius, but no huge toxic battery! Better performance than Prius due to its much lighter weight and all at one third the price! Much less complicated mechanically and Toyota build quality should equal great longevity and reliability. I've see Echos with 400k on them. This car is the nerd that never was popular but won in the end.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy!!! People ask: is it a hybrid? No it is better. More reliable, better performance, way cheaper. Great power to weight ratio = great performance. Outperforms cars that use 50% more fuel. 108hp at 2050 lbs. Very, very roomy especially with folding rear seat. Rides smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Put this drivetrain in a slightly less odd-looking package (the successor Yaris still looks a little weird) and add a few more options standard. A little less plastic in interior. I wish the hatchback would have been sold in the US, because I think it looks better. I'd definitely buy a used one.

My Echo
By Bob

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I use this vehilce to comute. It is comfortable and provides lots of space. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Good value for the money.

Favorite Features

Great gas milage. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Electric locks and window. Needs a center arm rest for the front seats.

Great car, great mpg, great value
By sctam1007

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After having SUVs, my concern was being able to haul stuff around. With the folding rear seats, I'm still able to haul 2X4's and other home improvement items. Great gas mileage (remember the SUVs). It feels much larger on the inside that what you would think. My husband is 6'4" and has plenty of head/leg room. We also have had 4 plus size people inside and still lots of room. I've found I can fit more into the trunk than I could in the "trunk" of my Jeep Liberty. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is a great value.

Favorite Features

Center dashboard, all the storage areas and the roomy trunk great gas mileage Overall the whole car is a favorite

Suggested Improvements

I wish dealers would keep more on the lot, thus ended up getting very basic models. More comfort items.

Unbeliveably dependable
By BeatleFan

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have over 100,000 miles on our Echo and still have the same spark plugs, coolant, battery, clutch...everything except 2 sets of tires and 1 set of brakes. Never had a minutes trouble out of this car, it still drives as well as the day we boughht it new and the fuel economy is awesome. We will definitely by another Echo in 2 years. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS CAR!

Favorite Features

Distinctive dashboard, reliability and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats and an available sportier version with sunroof and allow wheels would be a plus.

Driven Hard!
By trdecho1

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is actually a 2000 5-speed sedan. Selection list did not go back past 2003. But I love mine, it has 64,000 miles and has not skipped a beat. It has been driven hard due to my lead foot! I run synthetic oil in engine and tranny. 0w-30 in the engine,and 75w-90 in the tranny. Helped alot with pickup and dealer put it in for me. I also run a aftermarket air filter, and took out the baffle in the air box. Put on different muffler, but not a cannon like all other imports, still quiet. I love out running honda's and ford's and getting better gas milage in the process. Would keep this car even if I won the lottery!

Favorite Features

Center cluster,gas milage, rev happy engine, lot's of storage

Suggested Improvements

better support from TRD for speed parts, car from factory is just fine.

Echo 2001
By JamesDW

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Actually my Echo is a 2001 that I bough new 3 years ago. The car was bought mainly as a work car but have been so pleased with it that I use it for everything. Have just under 80K miles and still get 40 to 41 mpg overall. I drive the car hard and usually go at least 7 to 8K miles before oil changes and have never been able to stick to recommended maint. schedule. Even so, the car still runs as smoothly and nice as the day I bought it. When idling it's impossible to hear the motor from inside and most people swear it's not running at all. The ONLY problem I've had so far has been a burned out tail light bulb.

Good CARS!
By DaJoy98

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great cars but seem to be made of cheap plastic on the inside!

Favorite Features

Love how small it is and how I can almost drive through anything in it including snow in the mountains of NC

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be made better like using a much better plastic on the inside

Fun Subcompact big value
By guye

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota fit, finish & reliability. Fun to drive and great on gas. Great in the city & on the highway. With the 5 speed manual gear this little car does real nice in the performance department too. For people with two young kids and need for just a bit of luggage or as a second car, this car is great! (5man/HB)

Favorite Features

fuel economy & performance

Suggested Improvements

GPS, and RDS radio options would be nice!

My favorite car ever
By Julie Harris

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is perfect for me - superb gas mileage, classy look, extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Great head and leg room, even for the tall men in my life! All my friends rave about my "little big" car.

Favorite Features

Stupendous gas mileage; adorable body; sleek console; most comfortable seats I've ever experienced.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't come with a clock! I'd like a clock on the dash. Everything else is perfect.