2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Probably one of the best cars I have owned.
By erickc on 05/01/14 01:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Toyota that I have ever owned. I bought it when it was 9 years old with 104000 km. (65000 mi). Changed tires, changed brakes and 100000 km later still haven't had to change a thing other than oil and filters. I installed an after market cruise control system in it as I drive approx. 1000 hwy km/week. It makes the driving a lot easier. Gas milage is unbelievable, I save enough fuel per year vs my old 1999 Corolla to cover the cost of the insurance. The car is sitting outside with 657 km on the trip meter and there is still 1/4 tank left. It sure isnt the prettiest Girl in the room, but she sure can cook. Recommend this car to anyone. Looking forward to the Yaris as my next car

Better than a Prius
By B Dub on 08/25/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I feel like I won the lottery when I found this car. 2002 with 19k on it. A new car for 50% off! Since then, I average a combined 43 mpg summer/39 mpg winter at 9000 feet up in the mountains. Power to weight ratio is fantastic, especially considering the fuel economy. Acceleration good, cornering good, braking superb = great in snow. Slightly worse mpg than Prius, but no huge toxic battery! Better performance than Prius due to its much lighter weight and all at one third the price! Much less complicated mechanically and Toyota build quality should equal great longevity and reliability. I've see Echos with 400k on them. This car is the nerd that never was popular but won in the end.

My Echo
By Bob on 12/27/04 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I use this vehilce to comute. It is comfortable and provides lots of space. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Good value for the money.

Great car, great mpg, great value
By sctam1007 on 12/17/04 13:34 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After having SUVs, my concern was being able to haul stuff around. With the folding rear seats, I'm still able to haul 2X4's and other home improvement items. Great gas mileage (remember the SUVs). It feels much larger on the inside that what you would think. My husband is 6'4" and has plenty of head/leg room. We also have had 4 plus size people inside and still lots of room. I've found I can fit more into the trunk than I could in the "trunk" of my Jeep Liberty. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is a great value.

Unbeliveably dependable
By BeatleFan on 11/14/04 17:22 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have over 100,000 miles on our Echo and still have the same spark plugs, coolant, battery, clutch...everything except 2 sets of tires and 1 set of brakes. Never had a minutes trouble out of this car, it still drives as well as the day we boughht it new and the fuel economy is awesome. We will definitely by another Echo in 2 years. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS CAR!

Milage as promised
By Cariade on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I commute 110 miloes a day and love my car. Gage placement takes a little getting used to but is really much better since nothing is ever blocking your viw of the gages

low TCO / reliable transporter
By Jo Jo the Monkey Boy on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a reliable car. Toyota has the "bullet proof" rep for quality - and Consumer Reports gave the Echo the highest quality rating of the low-end compact sedans. I am very pleased with the gas mileage - better than Kia, Hyundai, or Chevy Aveo - and I've really appreciated that with gas prices being so high this summer. I really don't car about styling, acceleration, handling - it's a good little car to get me to work. I don't want to spend time haggling with auto mechanics trying to rip me off and I think the Echo has the built-in quality to stay out of the shop.

Underestimated
By Alias Name on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife & I bought the Echo new in '01. My ego had inhibitions, but it was for her & I respected Toyota quality. I inherited a '97 Grand Prix GT. Although the Echo is a bit under-powered for my taste, I'd drive it over any car I've had. It's functional, fun & easy to drive, capable & economical. Edmunds latest review wasn't useful. It seemed they were evaluating it on standards it wasn't built for. If you want a gas- guzzling, gangly, glorified minivan (refering to SUV's), you won't be interested in a small car. We love it (including our 8-week old whose car seat fits great). And the crash test results Edmonds was so worried about later received 4 of 5 stars.

Driven Hard!
By trdecho1 on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is actually a 2000 5-speed sedan. Selection list did not go back past 2003. But I love mine, it has 64,000 miles and has not skipped a beat. It has been driven hard due to my lead foot! I run synthetic oil in engine and tranny. 0w-30 in the engine,and 75w-90 in the tranny. Helped alot with pickup and dealer put it in for me. I also run a aftermarket air filter, and took out the baffle in the air box. Put on different muffler, but not a cannon like all other imports, still quiet. I love out running honda's and ford's and getting better gas milage in the process. Would keep this car even if I won the lottery!

Great Little Car
By rk_man99 on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

A nice car with a good fuel economy, (rated top 10 in fuel economy, including hybrids) a lot of interrior storage and adequate trunk space.